“Love the location”

Ranked #322 of 467 Hotels in New York City
CT
“Love the location”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here a year ago, and have to say, it was definitely one of my favorite locations to be in when in the City. That said, I love SoHo, so if you want to be away from the 'center of it all' this is the place to be. The cons: the elevator for sure (but that is a common problem in the more 'boutique size' hotels in the City..just leave a few minutes extra time) and it wasn't the most soundproof, although I've stayed in much worse in that department. Pros: friendly staff, again...LOCATION!!...you can walk to Chelsea Market, Morimoto, Spice Market, not to mention, there are a lot of quick food options right around the corner. Also, there's that fabulous Sheraton bed, and my personal favorite, which could be a downside if you have small kids with you, but the windows open!! Might seem like a small thing to those who don't visit Manhattan often, but for those of you who know what I'm talking about you get it, right?!

All in all, great value, and I will definitely check prices here first before looking anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Turkish first
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Room: We stayed in a deluxe king on the 18th floor, corner room.

Great room, spacious for a boutique hotel. Very comfortable. The free standing wardrobe is a bit small for a long stay, but a weekend or so, no problem.

What makes this hotel a good place to stay is that it has a full service dining room, unlike the Marriott around the corner. Breakfast are good and, for NYC, real cheap! Service is very nice.

Location is perfect for the new Manhattan. So much is now south of 14th street, and this hotel is perfectly located: near subways, a walk to SOHO, the West Village and Lower Manhattan.

There are downsides. The doors to the rooms look like metal, but I think they are made of paper. You can hear everything that goes on in the hall. Slamming doors and late night going on woke me. The rooms are not very sound proof from the outside world. Even on the 18th floor the sounds of traffic were a bit disturbing. However, I could not hear a thing from any adjoining rooms.

The hotel staff cannot be friendlier and more courteous.

All said and done, this will be our place to stay when in NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alton
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel with a friend. The location was absolutely great for us - just a couple of minutes walk from Houston Street Subway (1) which got us to Times Square in less than 20 minutes. Walking distance to Greenwich Village.

The staff were efficient and courteous and our room on the fourth floor was absolutely fine for our needs. I had been concerned about the issue of noise, particularly having read the comments made earlier about the building work going on right next door, but while we were there, the site was deserted. We had asked to be moved higher but during our stay one of the lifts was out of action. Being on the fourth floor meant we could take the stairs which was fine for us. The managment recognised how irritating having a lift out of action was for guests and laid on free lunch for everyone on the Friday, by way of an apology. Nice touch.

The heating worked well and the beds were very comfortable. There wasn't enough drawer space for the two of us - travelling in early Spring meant we both had quite a few jumpers, but it was just a minor thing.

Room came with a tea/coffee maker and an ironing board and iron. Free coffee also available in reception in the morning. We didn't eat in the hotel but had breakfast out - there's a diner right on the corner of Charlton and Varick, a few steps from the front door and also an IHOP on Varick!

The bathroom was clean and well lit and the bath although small, was a welcome bonus as I was expecting just a shower. The shower itself had good water pressure but the best thing about the bathroom for me was the fantastic little hair dryer! I need to style my hair rather than just dry it and it was great... Minor point to many, but a big bonus to a few!

I 'paid' for our room with Starwood Points but my girlfriend paid for her daughter's room. She felt that it represented very good value for money.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel - we have already agreed that when the time comes for our next trip, we will be staying here.

Room Tip: Lifts can be slow, and if getting in and out is more important than a view, choose a room that you c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Very good location, right next to the galleries and restaurants of Soho, but in a very quiet area. The welcome is warm and efficient but the laundry service sent our clothes to another apartment. The main problem is the lack of space for 2 medium sized bags.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Good
Location, location, location- if you want to be downtown
The infrastructure- modern
The prices (if you book right...it can be compelling value)
The amenities in the bathroom- way better than other Starwood properties I've seen (in the midrange)
Funky Bathroom decor
Comfortable bed and large TV

The Not so Good
Elevators get a bit congested and crowded and long to wait for
Lobby is small which compounds the 'rush hour crush' you can feel
Insulation between the adjoining doors of certain rooms- ie two doors in the hall to two different rooms- when one slams, you feel it in your room- and yeah soundproofing is not perfect...light sleeper like me whipped out the earplugs.
SMALL ROOMS....glad my GF wasnt there with her suitcase as I think we'd have suffered

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay because the bed was comfortable, the amenities were pleasantly surprising, the location was perfect for my needs and at this price, there is no way I could have found better value.

Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 28, 2013

A pity that TripAdvisor doesn't allow for an evaluation of simply "good". The best thing about this hotel (besides being right next to our office in NY) is the staff. Very, very friendly and helpful. The rooms clean and functional but average. Closets are too small, and everything that is screwed into the bathroom walls (towel racks, shelf under the vanity, etc) is either wobbly or hanging at an angle. I've stayed at this hotel often, and every bathroom is like this - the contractor seems to have screwed the fixtures into the drywall directly. Otherwise, the value for money is good, but this may be due to corporate rate we have. If you are impatient, do not take a room that is high up. The (two) elevators are quite slow, so take the stairs. Also, there is a major construction site next to the hotel right now. No major noise this time, but this could change.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A very nice hotel. This is the third time in less than a year that we stay there. The staff is fantastic. They are friendly, always willing to help you and give excellent advices. Rooms are small but nicely decorated and most important very clean. We travel a lot and this is one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business