“Hit and Miss”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We ate at the Dalls BBQ twice over the course of a week as it was near to our hotel, and although the first experience was good the second was definitely lack lustre.

On arrival the first night the 'greeter' at the door was rather... abrupt. Basically just gestured us to go straight to the elevator without a word of welcome. At the top of the elevator we had no idea what to do so were looking around when a staff member took pity on us and took us to some seats. The waiter arrived quickly (too quickly actually as we hadn't had time to look at the menu) so took our drinks order and said he'd be back shortly. Well the drinks arrived (with another tables) and we waited. In the end I caught the waiters eye and he took the food order.

The food arrived quickly - I'd ordered the 10oz New York Strip steak and found it was cooked to order (medium-rare) but was rather bland as were the chips it came with. The other order of a Quarter Chicken with White Meat went down well, but we had no idea where the extra dollar for the White Meat went. Granted we could have queried this at the time but didn't. Portion wise these were very good portions for us - slightly larger than a typical UK portion size but not as large as the stereotypical US portion!

On our return the second night we were seated downstairs and being familiar with the menu were able to order more quickly. Drinks came quickly but the food was slower and on the cold side when it did arrive. I had ordered the Steak and Ribs so I didn't notice the lack of heat until I ate the steak as the ribs were hot and delicious (the meat was almost falling off the bone). As well as being not warm (I don't really know how to describe it - the food wasn't as warm as I'd expect anyway) the steak was once again bland - moreso in comparison to the ribs. The other food ordered was the Strip Steak again - unlike my order this time it arrived undercooked.

As mentioned we didn't flag these issues at the restaurant, and to be fair they were clearly busy, but we weren't really impressed.

Location wise this is a great place to eat, just out of the hubub of Times Square, near Madam Tussaud's and Port Authority so I can see why they'd be popular. Price wise they are also pretty decent.

There are so many places to eat in NYC so I can't say I'd definitely eat here again, but for ease if I was in the area I wouldn't avoid them if that makes sense!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (3,495)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This has been the best place I have eaten my entire life. The chicken and waffles were SOOO tasty. Also the sticky wings OMG this place is a must try. I WILL BE RETURNING all the way from South Carolina.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food here was very delicious. The staff was very pleasant and offered any assistance needed. The restaurant is often packed and I would suggest you go way in advance before closing hours as you would feel a sense of rush to complete your meal.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

we thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. We were seated immediately (it was 430 pm) on the second level. Unfortunately the table we got was pretty much on top of another table so we felt like we were eating with strangers but the food and drinks made up for it! We ordered lunch size ribs (served before 5:00) and you can tell by the picture it was HUGE. The fries were really good too. My husband had the BBQ burger and he said he's never had a better burger anywhere. I ordered a larger size Peaches and Cream drink with a shot of Hennesey and it was HUGE. Certainly hit the spot after a long day of walking the city. Waitress was really good. Food came out correct, fast and hot. We willl absolutely return on our next NYC trip

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I ordered a steak, between medium and well done (3/4). The steak was overcooked. After, I gave feedback to the unattentive waitress. Few seconds after the manager came arguing. Food was poor, so there is nothing to defend, but I guess he thought I wanted a refund. A apology for bad quality would have been better.