“It is a HOSTEL” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #400 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“It is a HOSTEL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Royal Park for 4 nights over the Christmas period. If you are expecting this hostel to be anything above 'hostel quality' then you will be disappointed. We were not expecting much from this hostel and so we weren't disappointed. However, before NYC, we travelled around and stayed in actual, decent hotels and we found that a hostel was not something for us.

The main negative point I found about this hostel was the smell. As soon as you walk in, the smell hits you. The hostel itself appears pretty old and run down. The reception or customer service we got was average. We stayed in a private room with ensuite which was extremely tiny but I suppose that's expected in NYC. The room itself was reasonably clean.

The positive thing about this hostel was its location close to the 96th st subway station which was only a 2 min walk away.

If you've stayed in hostels before and are not expecting anything at a hotel level, then go fot it (also if you can stand weird smells). If not, stick to a hotel. After we stayed out our 4 night booking, we moved to a hotel. Hostels aren't for everyone!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
Namur, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

I was in a double double superior deluxe room with my husband and my brother in law. The room was great, god bed, big shower, clean service came every day, view on the street and near subway and bus station.
Great rates for a big room. Just noisy sometimes because we were near the lobby, but not so noisy.
I can write any opinion about single room or shared room but double double room was great!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2010

This is an illegal hotel as this place is actually a single room occupancy (SRO) building for permanent residents who are mostly poor people (rent: $200-$500/month). The owner of the building has been using emptying tactics (such as cutting the gas supply, threats of eviction, renting rooms to persons out of jail or mental hospital which led to shady stories and by that I mean the worst…) so that those permanent residents leave the building (they often end up homeless…) in order to use it as an hotel and make a greater profit than they can from the low-income tenants (30 times the rent per room depending on the room as we were paying $200/night).
I know that because I met one the few tenants left in that building after an incident involving a huge cockroach who told me all about her 20-year-struggle to keep her room. I felt pretty bad participating in that evil plan to put poor people on the streets so that a greedy and cold-blooded landlord makes big bucks.
This building is also unsanitary as there should be one person per room, but as they put as many tourists as they can in each room the shared bathroom is beyond filthy (not mention the staff is not really good at cleaning, if they actually clean…). It also constitutes a real disturbance for the tenants whose privacy is invaded and lifestyle disturb by the constant presence of tourists.
My friends and I had a room with a private bathroom (which was still not very clean…). There were stains on our sheets (changed every 3 days) and on the towels. We also had cockroaches in our bedroom (I even found one on my bed…). There could also be fire and security hazards anytime as the outlets are not properly sealed to the wall and as it’s a SRO building, it doesn’t comply with the fire code for commercial hotels. The paint on the wall was peeling off (and they never vacuumed it). I am also posting some pictures so that you can see the room.
The staff is also very unhelpful and kind of shady and we could not trust them at all to resolve any kind of issues. It seemed you have to fight with them to get things done, and of course, whatever the problem is, they will never apologize. Undeniably the poorest customer service I have ever experienced.
One of my friends lost her mobile phone in the lobby. When she asked the receptionist for it, he said they found it and that she will get it back. But then, they never gave it back to her because they “apparently” gave it to someone else. Go figure it out…
One night, we could not take it anymore (the night I found the cockroach on my bed) so we argued with the receptionist until almost 1 a.m. to be moved to a decent hotel. Again, we ended up in illegal hotels owned by the same person who has 4 other buildings (we stayed at Marrakech hotel and Portland Square hotel). We found hair in the bathroom and stains on the sheets but overall it was better and cleaner, and we made sure we wouldn't have to pay for it. I still felt really bad to stay again in an illegal hotel but as we paid ahead we could not do anything about it. This is the short version of the story, but it was my first time in NYC, and Royal Park Hotel ruined a big part of my trip.
This practice seems to be really common in NYC and a bill to put an end to illegal was passed last summer. Hotels in NYC are really expensive and next time I will go there I will rent a room or an apartment from New-Yorkers. There are plenty of ads on http://newyork.craigslist.org/vac/.
I know some people say they had a good experience because they have renovated a couple of floors. But that's no excuse to book a room there. This is still an ILLEGAL HOTEL and TENANTS ARE THROWN ON THE STREET!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank Nag72

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

Location is very good and the prices are very low for Manhattan.

However do not expect much from this hostel. Rooms are pretty small but it's ok if you go to the hotel only for sleeping. There's a ceiling fan, but no AC, so it might be hot in summer.

Bathrooms aren't very clean; no kitchen available.
Free Wi-Fi is available only in lobby

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bedrin
new orleans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

If you are looking for a swanky hotel room the Royal Park is not for you but if you want a reasonably priced room which is clean and in a very convenient location (i.e. if you want to save your spending money for other things other than a hotel room) this hotel would probably work for you...A friend of mine and I stayed here for the New York marathon..yes, I was worried about bed bugs,etc since the price was so low but, fortunately, my worries were unfounded...We stayed in the room directly off the "lobby".It was very large especially by new york standards with 2 ddble beds, clean, nice shower but no tub, no phone (but with cell phones who needs one), no fridge or microwave but excellent and friendly personnel who were a pleasure to have around..I was worried about noise during the night since we were right off the lobby and on the street but it was quiet and the bed was comfortable...a non pretentious, practical place to stay...save your money for shopping!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I stayed for four nights over the weekend of the marathon and the place was booked up.I was in a double room that was old but clean comfortable and warm, Ok the room was only small but what do you expect in New York, My floor had two spotless bathrooms that I had no problem getting into when I needed to. My room was cleaned and I was given clean towels daily. The subway is two minutes walk away and only $2.25 per trip, Taxi ride to any part of Manhattan was no more than $17 even at prak times, Would I stay again? YES!! Would I recommend? YES If you want more cash to spend on the important things to do in NYC!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank 32655Happytraveller
Ballarat, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

Stayed here back in march of 2010. Was quite nervous about it after reading all the reviews on here, but to our surprise the place was great! The staff were friendly room clean and recently renovated. We got the very basic room, no TV, just a bed closet and bathroom. The room was quite small but very comfortable. It felt just like our own New York apartment.
Please don't listen to all the negative reviews as i believe they are reviewing this place based on the name being a Hotel, but this is a hostel. Also keep in mind it has been recently renovated.

Highly recommend for anyone on a budget wanting a good place to stay in New York

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple