“Nice place, nice staff”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Ranked #383 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 16, 2014

If you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay in New York, I recommend Royal Park. It's close to the subway, and is only a few blocks from Central Park. The rooms are clean, and the staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: We booked a room with a shared bathroom. No problem with cleanliness or crowdedness.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Despinal258, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Hello,

Myself and the entire staff here at the Royal Park Hotel want to thank you for your review. Especially the part that we were helpful and friendly. We make every effort to put our guest first and make this hotel a home away from home atmosphere. If you ever find yourself in New York again please give me a call and I will give you a special managers rate.

Best Regards,

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Don't make a reservation here.

We had a reservation at this hotel a while ago, but when we went to the hotel to stay, they sent us to another hotel "due to an unexpected trouble". In the end, both the hotel and the other hotel that we actually stayed charged on my card. So, the card was doubly charged.

I called the hotel several times to ask a refund of one of the charges, but every time they reacted in an extremely impolite and uncooperative way, and they never refund. We are now talking to the credit card company.

I wouldn't recommend having any kind of transaction with this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank sazajoo
Despinal258, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Client,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. It is our main priority to provide the best customer service possible for our guest. If the matter at hand has not been resolved please give me a call and we can sort this out for you as soon as possible. I would also like to offer you special manager rates next time you are in New York City. Just give me a call ahead of time and i will ensure you receive our special rates.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I booked a room with the Royal Park Hotel & Hostel through Booking.com (which I also don’t recommend) and once I realized it would be a room with a shared bathroom I cancelled literally within one minute of making the reservation and the Royal Park Hotel & Hostel charged me for a night. I called and the hotel management refused to refund their fee and was rude. I have tried talking to them since and they won’t take my calls.

With service like this over the phone I cannot even imagine how poor their service must be in person. Do not stay here unless you want to be ripped off.

Room Tip: Simple, don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank balashstargalactica

Dear Client,

We appreciate that you took your time out to address this matter. Our apologies if we couldn't provide you with the highest customer service. In the future let us invite you to look into our rooms that are furnished with Queen mattresses, flat screen television, and walk in showers. Give me a call anytime to setup a detailed tour of our property when you're in the city next and I will ensure you receive a special rate.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2013

It's a decent hostel. I was there for a week in November 2011 with 2 friends - we had a great room with 2 doubles and upgraded to ensuite when we arrived. For the price, it was good. Don't expect 5 star treatment because this is a hotel for people on a budget. It was clean, staff were friendly, and had free WiFi. Would definitely stay there again if I was on a similar budget.
Lift was a bit rickety however, so no 5 stars. Also location is quite far out from Midtown, but if the walk down Broadway is beautiful in Autumn/Fall, and the Subway is 2 minutes walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend upgrading to an ensuite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CatherineF1987

Dear Client,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay! And we'll be looking forward to your next trip to New York City! Call ahead of time next time you're coming to the city, and I'll ensure you receive our special rates.

Thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed in their best room (Superior Double Queen Ensuite) which is off the noisy main corridor / reception and waiting area. Like others highlighted, room standards are below what you gather from images, and costs are not ‘value for money’. Our room was supposed to have a TV / cable channels. We did not manage to switch the TV on, neither did the Hotel staff (a receptionist and a technician tried). I was assured by the receptionist to be given a refund – which was subsequently denied by the hotel’s management (with the explanation that the TV was in fact functional in my room – even though their staff failed to operate it)… Dodgy. Best avoided.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel - rooms are not as pictured, and management does not stick to promises.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Pete K
A TripAdvisor Member
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

we stayed for 3 short nights, it was very basic, we stayed on d 4th floor next to d shared bathroom. it was kept very clean, we had hot water too! cable didnt wk, but dudnt care much for it cause we were hardly in our room, we left early a.m and were back really late p.m so really didnt matter to us. its a place to sleep, and thats it, clean and semi decent. We liv d area were ths hotel is at, very quiet, and easy going, away from tourist, it felt as if we could pass for locals. U just got think, its only a place to sleep, if ur high maintenance i sugg u not to stay here, but if ur easy and adaptable to any wnviroment then stay! i would stay here again, for d price Yes!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Client,

Thank you for choosing us!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Not as pictured. A lot of money compared with other local small hotels. Tv, heat didn't work, had to use space heater. No working smoke detector in the room and no linens left. Had to ask for all of the above. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Karen C
Despinal258, Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Client,

We appreciate that you took your time out to address this matter. Our team is working on looking into these rooms.Our apologies if we couldn't provide you with the highest customer service during your stay but in the future let us invite you to look into our rooms that are furnished with Queen mattresses, flat screen television, and walk in showers. Give me a call anytime to setup a detailed tour of our property when you're in the city next.

Kind regards,