“Average hotel”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Royal Park Hotel
Ranked #384 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel didn't meet our expectations as a hotel for $100 per night, though it's twice cheaper than the most of hotels in Manhattan.

The room was very hot and it was filled by noise from the street. There were no wardrobe or even place for it in the room.

The bathrooms are quite clean and they were vacant for the most of the time.

The wi-fi is available only in the lobby.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Location is alright, close to the subway (96th/Broadway), but Manhattan center is not in walking distance.

Hotel however, very cheap rooms and facilities for not-so-cheap-rate. Rooms are very small, no to keep your luggage open.Just one poor light bulb in a fan. Beds are okay, it is cleanish but dusty. Shared bathrooms are poor, 2 per level. Once a day cleaning with fellow hotel-guest is just not enought and makes bathing a terrible experience!

Wifi only in lobby. Luggage room available for $2 per item. Bring earbuds! Rooms are very noisy!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elle-trip
Reviewed November 3, 2012

So I was travelling with my dad to NYC, meaning that I needed to look up some nice decent hotel, meaning $$$. So I looked up several hotels, and I came through this one, that had pretty much everything I was looking for, except that when I read the reviews I was confused of if staying or not. So I took the chance, I do recall that one reviewer said that the renovated rooms were fine, so when I called to book, I said several times, please make sure it's the renovated one, but the guy just said: ok I will put a note but can't assure anything.
When we arrived, there was this strong humid smell in the air, of oldness, I couldn't believe that the elevator even had a door, really old. So we went up our room on 7th floor, and it was small, humid smell in the air, and... it was just bad. So I went down to the reception and asked if they could switch me to one of the renovated rooms and he kindly went over to his manager and said that we wanted another room because it was small (which I didn't say and found it quite cool) so they passed us to another room.
So.. have you guys ever seen pictures of the rooms of hotels, but when you get there you never get the one from the picture? well.. I must say, that we got the one from the photo! hurray!
The staff was very friendly, helpful in our case. There are a lot of grocery stores around, you will never starve that's for sure. The subway is just like 2 min walking distance away and your like a couple blocks away from Central Park.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms. Ours was on second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank vmeyi
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hallway carpet is dingy and the accommodations are spartan. But the cleanliness, helpful staff (and the comfortable beds--amazing pillows!) and the prime location made this a very good hotel experience. Make no mistake, this is more of a hostel lodging than what most Americans think of when they envision a "hotel." There are some rooms with a private bathroom but my friend and I opted for the shared bath option to fit our budget.

Our first night we got "upgraded" due to our original room being full to a large room with two double beds and a sleeping couch and two closets which would have fit several people easily. That did make adjusting to the "real" room the next night a laugh since it was tiny, with bunk beds. But in New York you are spending most of your time out exploring the city anyway, so we were more than happy to pay a cheap price for having a CLEAN place to crash out. The shared bathroom situation is what it is, but most people staying here are European and know how to stay in a shared facility hotel and are mindful of not taking too much time in the bathroom.

And I have to give BIG kudos to the helpful and welcoming staff, especially Denise and Fernando. I would definitely recommend the Royal Park to anyone wanting a good budget travel experience in the Big Apple.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SFinSF
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights last week. Could not be happier with the room which had a private bath. The bed was very comfortable with nice pillows and linens. Probably the least expensive, nicest place in NYC. The staff was very professional and helpful, especially Denise who is the day manager. I highly recommend this hotel when staying in New York.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank jlafla
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just returned after 6 nights stay at the Royal Park Hotel. We arrrived late at night and the staff were friendly and helpful. We booked a double bedroom with shared bathroom. There were two bathrooms to use on our floor and we never had any problems with waiting etc. Only problems with bathrooms were there was no hand wash, no paper towels and the hot water was not always hot! Our room was quite small but all we needed however there was nowhere to hang your clothes which was a bit annoying. Rooms are cleaned daily and the maids are really friendly and sweet. The location of this hotel/hostel is great right on 97th and broadway you have easy access to the subway, pharmacies, supermarkets and restaurants. Would strongly recommend Manhattan Diner which was 95th and Broadway (5 min walk from hotel) amazing food and friendly service. The day we checked out we were told it would cost $2 to leave our bags in the hotel until we left however the guy at the desk allowed us to leave them for free because we had stayed nearly a week which was really nice. The hotel also booked our shuttle back to JFK airport which was only $22 each plus tip alot less than flagging down a taxi. This hotel is great if your on a budget and lets face it in New York you're not really going to spend much time in your room!! Friendly staff, great location and value for money. Would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NancyMCoventry
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is not really a hotel but a hostel, so actually what you get is not worthy the money you pay. Rooms are very small and if you choose, like we did, one with a bathroom, you hardly have space to move. The general impression is poor cleanliness. But there are also somme pros: you are very next to the metro and the staff is kind and ready to help you. So, if you are prepared to accept some difficulties you can try it, but do not expect a great accomodation.

Room Tip: Choose the Rooms with the bathroom!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple