“Cramped, but Good!”

Ranked #344 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Cramped, but Good!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've stayed in Hilton properties before, but being this was my first trip to NYC I wasn't prepared for such a small room. ;) Other than the cramped quarters (I actually think it's similar to a cruise ship room to give you some perspective) the location was great. The bellmen were awesome...always willing to go and hail us cabs :) The Bartender, Carmenza was awesome too. Pretty pricey, but I guess that's what you get when it's Christmastime in NYC!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kimberley S
Miriam S, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Kimberley K,

Thank you so much for your review about our property! We're so delighted to hear that the bellman and Carmenza provided outstanding service for you. As you mentioned this was your first trip to NYC the rooms are indeed small, but we try to appoint them for maximum comfort!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Regards,
Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
manchester
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Hotel is in a good location very clean ,the rooms are small but clean
The hotel is on a noise busy road which is busy all night
We travel as two families with children
New York was fab we loved it
Plenty of shopping ,lots of attraction
My advise would be to book attraction before you travel and plan what you want to do each day

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sebastian A, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, October 10, 2016
Dear michelle35car,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay at. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I would love to invite you back to show you how we do things. Don't hesitate to reach out to me the next time you are visiting us here in the big apple.

Horseheads, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We did a family trip to the city for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. This is hotel is located on 36th St which was an easy walk to Macys. We had small kids with us and they enjoyed the walk. The hotel room is very small but clean and the staff was very nice and helpful. The parking was is very close to this hotel. We paid $45 a day for parking but we had access to our car if needed. The onsite restaurant was good for breakfast but not for any other meals due to price. We paid $95 and tip was included for 5 meals and 3 of the meals were kids meals. Overall the hotel was good. I would recommend this location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Robert S,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We would love to invite you back to our property the next time you are visiting the big apple.

Chevy Chase, United States
Reviewed December 5, 2013

my fbest friends wonom oneof themhas an ALZ wanted to spend their last vacation asked us to join thier vacation we agreed they wanted to go to Manhattatn and we enjoyed our visit the hotel staff was so terrific to ensure we enjoywed our stay there Glad we make our hotel choice in the last minute. thanks again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Robert M,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I travel a lot for work and tend to book the Hilton hotels as you can expect certain standards without high rates. But this particularly Double Tree falls well below the standards of other Hilton Hotels that I have stayed in the US.

It's the little things that make this hotel so terrible to stay in - the fact that there are two overused elevators and you often have to wait 10 -15 minutes to get up or down to your room. That complimentary water is provided once the first night you stay and then never seen again. I have heard at least 10 guests asking for water at the front desk.

But the worst bit about the hotel is that anything that comes out of the kitchen is uneatable. Breakfasts are over cooked and greasy, there are no condiments and you often have to wait just to get a plate so you can serve yourself some food - I would suggests guests avoid breakfast here and eat out if you can.

I ordered one dinner in the hotel and it was so revolting I threw it up later that night - a unseasoned pasta with only the half the ingredients described on the menu and swimming in a cup full of cheap and nasty oil. One of the worse meals I have ever eaten.

The staff are very friendly, but could do with some training on how not to forget or get wrong everything you order, as could their kitchen staff in how to cook.

The only good meals I had were from the Chinese Takeaway menu that was put under my door - this Chinese was actually quite good and with fast delivery saved me from starving some nights while I was working in the hotel.

I know you can't fix the lift situation overnight but seriously management of this Double Tree - you could do a lot better to make this place at least bearable for business and leisure travellers.

Room Tip: Best tip is stay in the Chelsea or Times Square Double Tree instead. But if you have to stay here ge...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zoe H
Dear Zoe H,

Phoenix, United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The room was very small but that was to be expected. The bed was great. Extremely comfortable and beautiful linens. The bathroom was great. Nice view from the 22nd floor. Great staff, very helpful. It was about eight blocks to the Broadway theatres we attended, easy walk. But also very accessible to Macy's and Penn Station.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dawn M,

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed when I realized my reservation was at this DoubleTree and not the other one in a Times Square. I can see this being a common mistake. This was one very tired hotel. The minute you walk in it has a bad vibe. I am very surprised this is a Double Tree and not a Red a roof inn. It should be named "Dumpy Tree". I have a Diamond status with Hilton and this had to be one of their worst properties. So here is my review...
"The Good"...
1. Nice bed linens and I liked the pillows.
2. Staff that was willing to please and well trained. (Probably use to dealing with issues...lots of them).
3. Close walk to Javitz and Times Square.
4. Pretty quite from street noise and other guests.
5. Nice large bath towels.
"The Bad"...
1. Smallest room I have ever had. (Try choosing a room with 2 beds just to get more space). All I could do was laugh at it.
2. The elevators are also very small. Only two for the building. I asked people to wait for the next elevator...six or seven people was the most I felt it should hold.
3. Breakfast buffet was just ok....far from the best. Staff was very nice. Wish they had flavored creamers.
4. Chairs in the breakfast area all had stains. On one booth the table came off the wall and not repaired, it was all a bit trashy.
4. Unimpressive and very dated lobby. Even the pictures were dated and trashy.
Now for..."The Ugly"...
1. No hot water for Two days! I was given 10 thousand Hilton points for the inconvenience. I heard several others getting them as well.
2. Black hairs in the corners of the bathroom. I took a wet wash cloth and cleaned it...ewwww. It was sooo gross. The shower also had black hairs. (I am blond).
2. Saggy depression in the bed cauz everyone sleeps in the same spot.
2. One elevator was not working...long wait for the other one plus room service food cart needed to get on. We climbed/walked up to the 10th floor and was lucky to get it faster there. I was on the 23rd floor.
3. Still a long wait for the elevator even when both were in service.
4. Someone else mentioned this too on their review...I have to agree...it was rather annoying that all of the service people use these two tiny elevators. I saw large trash bins, laundry bins, food trays and cleaning carts all share the elevators. Remember...these elevators are already too tiny.
5. I had to ask for tissues as they were not replenished. Toilet paper had two rolls and those were not replenished...I used sparingly to get thru the night.
6. Not a room you can spread out in. I was here for 4 nights and had to keep most of my clothes in my suitcase.
7. Over priced and not a good value.
I sure hope I don't stay here again. Save yourselves...

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business