“The Good, The Bad, and The Very Ugly...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South
Ranked #322 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“The Good, The Bad, and The Very Ugly...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed when I realized my reservation was at this DoubleTree and not the other one in a Times Square. I can see this being a common mistake. This was one very tired hotel. The minute you walk in it has a bad vibe. I am very surprised this is a Double Tree and not a Red a roof inn. It should be named "Dumpy Tree". I have a Diamond status with Hilton and this had to be one of their worst properties. So here is my review...
"The Good"...
1. Nice bed linens and I liked the pillows.
2. Staff that was willing to please and well trained. (Probably use to dealing with issues...lots of them).
3. Close walk to Javitz and Times Square.
4. Pretty quite from street noise and other guests.
5. Nice large bath towels.
"The Bad"...
1. Smallest room I have ever had. (Try choosing a room with 2 beds just to get more space). All I could do was laugh at it.
2. The elevators are also very small. Only two for the building. I asked people to wait for the next elevator...six or seven people was the most I felt it should hold.
3. Breakfast buffet was just ok....far from the best. Staff was very nice. Wish they had flavored creamers.
4. Chairs in the breakfast area all had stains. On one booth the table came off the wall and not repaired, it was all a bit trashy.
4. Unimpressive and very dated lobby. Even the pictures were dated and trashy.
Now for..."The Ugly"...
1. No hot water for Two days! I was given 10 thousand Hilton points for the inconvenience. I heard several others getting them as well.
2. Black hairs in the corners of the bathroom. I took a wet wash cloth and cleaned it...ewwww. It was sooo gross. The shower also had black hairs. (I am blond).
2. Saggy depression in the bed cauz everyone sleeps in the same spot.
2. One elevator was not working...long wait for the other one plus room service food cart needed to get on. We climbed/walked up to the 10th floor and was lucky to get it faster there. I was on the 23rd floor.
3. Still a long wait for the elevator even when both were in service.
4. Someone else mentioned this too on their review...I have to agree...it was rather annoying that all of the service people use these two tiny elevators. I saw large trash bins, laundry bins, food trays and cleaning carts all share the elevators. Remember...these elevators are already too tiny.
5. I had to ask for tissues as they were not replenished. Toilet paper had two rolls and those were not replenished...I used sparingly to get thru the night.
6. Not a room you can spread out in. I was here for 4 nights and had to keep most of my clothes in my suitcase.
7. Over priced and not a good value.
I sure hope I don't stay here again. Save yourselves...

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Sebastian A, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, October 10, 2016
Dear Shersei,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay at. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I would love to invite you back to show you how we do things. Don't hesitate to reach out to me the next time you are visiting us here in the big apple.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Rockland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

overall good experience with hotel. The staff was very helpful and respectful. Charged too much to park. I do not know if this is something the hotel can somehow regulate with the parking company but. it was the one thing that made me unhappy.

Dear Robert R,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We would love to invite you back to our property the next time you are visiting the big apple.

new york, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

The location of the hotel to where I had to travel to work was great! I only had to walk a few blocks to and from work. I was most disappointed with this hotel because of the fact that the person in the restaurant/ bar said that the restaurant was closed event though it was only 9:40pm...not to mention the fact that I stood at the door waiting to be served at least 5- 7 minutes before he finally showed up. When he told me the restaurant was closed, I went to the front desk and asked them why it was closed when it should not be closed until 10pm. The lady at the desk went to check to see why the restaurant was closed and the guy behind the bar had a horrible attitude about the entire situation. She came back to me and told me that I could still order because the restaurant was indeed open. Because he was so loud and rude, I decided to NOT order anything from the restaurant (I didnt want him anywhere NEAR my food) and I walked in the cold to a nearby restaurant and brought my food back to my room. I had a late fight in and just wanted to get something to eat without the hassle. If the restaurant is not supposed to close until 10:00pm, I would suggest that your hotel not close early as there may be some guests who would really like to have a meal. Also, initially my sink was leaking pretty bad but once I reported it, someone came up to fix it. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Latrina E H,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

The location was great. The staff was wonderful even though it was Thanksgiving and they were probably tired. The room was great as it was clean and had really great staff. It was particularly great because the parking was inexpensive and the area of town was so close to everything that we wanted. I would definitely return to this hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

OK, the rooms are small and a little dated, but the location is very convenient, especially to the Macy's in Herald Square and to the High Line, the staff is very friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast buffet was very nice. We were able to get a good rate, so the negatives didn't really bother us...

1 Thank Jeremy C
Dear Jeremy C,

New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is an OK hotel but not in a great area. Hilton have far nicer hotels and better located hotels regardless of staying in NYC for business or pleasure. The main things that lets this hotel down are the area and the standard of the rooms. The rooms are a little on the tired side and in need of re-decoration. While the room was generally clean there was evidence of hairs in the bathroom. The area is not great. A garage for street food vendors is virtually next door so its often difficult to get by in the morning and evening. Also the road outside the hotel is busy being on the main route out of one of the tunnel crossings in to NYC. This doesn't impact on hotel noise when in the room but is busy. There are better Hilton hotels in NYC for around the same price. I chose this one for its location in relation to where I needed to be for my business trip however next time I will choose another Hilton and be prepared to travel slightly further.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Andrew I
Dear Andrew I,

arcadia, california, usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We liked the location as it is central to so many sites in NYC (e.g. High Line Park, Times Square, theatres, etc. The price was reasonable and the room was fine, the bathroom was very acceptable. They have a buffet style restaurant as well as the facility to order breakfast. Would suggest staying at a higher level so as not to feel confined with limited views.

Dear gregory b,