“Great location for business or leisure” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South
Ranked #324 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
“Great location for business or leisure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed for a convention in the Javits Center and loved the friendly staff and the great location. The staff even had great dinner and hangout recommendations! The room is nice and clean with all the necessary amenities. The breakfast was also nice. The only inconvenience was that the elevators took a while, and were usually full... had to use the stairs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ruben C
Sebastian A, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, October 10, 2016
Dear Ruben C,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We would love to invite you back to our property the next time you are visiting the big apple.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for New Years Eve and had a great time. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly. Cookies at check in was a plus.

There aren't really good "views" from the hotel rooms that we had because it was a short building surrounded by taller ones. There are a few Asian restaurants within the 1 block walking distance of the hotel which was very convenient.

I would avoid room 210 at all cost. It was a tiny cramped room. I felt like there was barely enough space for my 2 roller bags (especially with large winter clothing). This room at the time I stayed also had a leaky shower door so after each shower, there would be large puddles of water on the floor that never dried. The bathroom floor heater didn't work either. The ice machine and emergency stair well are adjacent to the room which can be both a convenience and a hassle. It also does not have a fridge.

I rarely ask to be moved but I really just couldn't take it cramped up in that room. The staff was kind enough to move me to a different room on a higher floor. I'm not sure if there was a price difference in the room but it was much much nicer. There was significantly more space, there was a fridge, and the bathroom was also larger. The room also had a complimentary bottle of water and chocolates for each guest on New Years Eve as a special "thank you" for staying with them. I thought it was a very nice welcoming touch.

During the sold out nights of the holiday, it was very difficult to get an elevator going down from the second floor. Each elevator that came down was already full and we ended up having to go up before eventually going down. Overall recommendation is stay on a higher floor.

Room Tip: Avoid a the corner #10 rooms. Stay on a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UHcougarBdaygirl
Dear UHcougarBdaygirl,

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

-Staff are very friendly. As a tourist and first time traveller to NYC, they are very helpful

- Rooms are small but comfy

- free wifi (very important)

-hotel location very good. Few steps to subway (1-train, red line), Penn station, few blocks to the empire state

- near 8th ave

-Near tick tock dinner. Just in case you get bored with the breakfast buffet at hotel. Sorry the breakfast buffet is not free

- the signature double tree cookies. Always free and always a yummy treat

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dinoc621
Dear Dinoc621,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Easy to get anywhere from here. Very basic room, older property but clean. Nice shower & manageable bathroom size compared to some other NY hotel bathrooms. Only complaint was the bathroom door was weighted to stay closed, couldn't prop it open which was annoying going in and out of the bathroom.
Like many other hotels around the area with business travelers, the elevators are tiny and in the mornings often every one that stopped was already full from floors above, so allow extra time to get downstairs or ask for top floor!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear oceanseekerDC,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay at. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I would love to invite you back to show you how we do things. Don't hesitate to reach out to me the next time you are visiting us here in the big apple.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked this hotel with an Advance Purchase rate which meant I got a pretty good deal, I stayed for 4 nights and had a Queen Guest Room.

I arrived after a tiring flight from London. To get to the hotel, I took the Airtrain from JFK Airport to Jamaica and then the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station. The journey from JFK Airport to the hotel was less than an hour. It is only about a 4-5 min walk from Penn Station to the hotel, depending which exit you take out of Penn Station.

Location:
The hotel was easy to find with the map application on my phone. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Macy's (about 5 mins), Empire State (about 10-15 mins) and Times Square (about 10 mins). I felt safe walking around the neighbourhood. It is also an easy walk (about 20 mins) down to the pier that many of the Circle Line sightseeing cruises leave from to see the Statue of Liberty, etc and the Intrepid Air and Sea Museum is about 20 mins walk away too.

The 9/11 Memorial, Central Park and Museum of Natural History are all very easily accessible via Subway on the 'A' line. (Nearest subway entrance is about 3 mins away from hotel). As others have noted in their reviews, it's important to realise that this hotel is not in Times Square but a good 10 mins walk away. The shops on 5th Avenue and also attractions like Madame Tussaud's are also a fairly easy walk away.

Rooms:
As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small. However, I did not find this an issue at all. I believe many rooms in New York are small as space is at a premium. Despite the small room I had plenty of space to store my items. There was a large safe that would store my computer. The bathroom was larger than I was expecting considering the small room size however, there was no bath, just a shower. The shower and general water pressure was good.

Sleep Quality:
Although the small room size wasn't an issue for me when it came to space and stowage, the issue I did have was with layout... the bed was very close to the door onto the corridor outside my room. This meant I was frequently woken up by people passing by and walking in/out the lift and past my room. The 'ding' from the elevator when it arrived on my floor could be heard from my bed. I think there are only 4 rooms on each floor on levels 10 and up so this wasn't too much of an issue, just a little frustrating every now and again. The bedding and beds themselves were very comfortable. I think the King Rooms have a different layout where the beds are much further from the corridor judging by the pictures. If I stayed again, I would go for a King Room on this basis.

My Queen room had a very large window. This meant the room lost heat easily, especially with the cold conditions in March. The HVAC system was effective but very noisy, I also found this woke me up when the system came on to warm up the room. You can turn the system off but when I did this, I would wake up from being too cold.

WiFi:
Reception kindly provided me with a free WiFi code which was appreciated. I did a speed test and this was more than sufficient for general web surfing.

Public Areas:
All public areas were clean and tidy. The reception area is very small. There are only 2 elevators but I never waited more than 2 minutes for one as these seem very fast.

Staff:
EXCELLENT. 10/10 for all the Staff I encountered. They were constantly asking how my stay was and if they could do anything for me.

Food/Drink:
I had Room Service 3 times and this was enjoyable. Although it seemed a bit hit and miss as to if you would get a glass and any ice with the cold drinks as sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. I am sure if I asked I would have got some though... there are also Ice Machines on many floors.

Branding:
The hotel was formerly a Wyndham Garden Hotel and converted to a Doubletree. The branding still seems a little confused in some areas. For example, when you switch on the TV in your room it advertises the 'Lodgenet' application you can download to control your hotel room TV from your cellphone. This is an awesome feature. But when I paired up my phone with the TV in my room (which worked really well), the app still seemed to refer to the hotel as the Wyndham Garden Hotel!!!

I would stay here again, especially if I needed easy access to Penn Station but I would probably go for the King Room if this would solve the problem of the door onto the corridor being so close to the bed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Adam P,

delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My teenage daughter and I spent the weekend at this hotel. Overall we had a great time. Yes, the rooms are very small (and every place else in the hotel) but that should be expected in the city. The room layout used the limited space wisely. The beds were very comfortable and it was pretty quiet (it has turbo toilets which are pretty loud). My only real complaint is the elevators - there are only two small ones for 26 floors. You will be waiting awhile for them! Breakfast was great and, if you ask, they will give you cookies anytime. The best thing about this hotel was the staff - they were universally wonderful. The location is ok - it is in the Garment District. It would be quite a walk to theatres in the north part of the Theatre District. Luckily ours was in the southern half so our walk wasn't too bad. Times Square is certainly doable but it is a bit of a walk. Madison Square Garden it just two blocks away and the shopping on 34th as well. I was a bit concerned about safety late at night on the street the hotel is actually located on - there are warehouses and such around it. It turned out to be ok because there were a few other people walking as well at 11 p.m. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ahagen
Dear ahagen,

Mission Viejo, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 7 night stay and could not of been any happier. Large quiet corner suite over looking Times Square, with comfy bedding and 2 large TVs. Super friendly staff and the location of the hotel can't be beat. Aside from the cabs to and from the airport, we walked or took a subway EVERYWHERE. Everything is so close by, we will definitely be returning to this Doubletree Suites on our next stay....

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple