“Small and outdated”

Ranked #337 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Small and outdated”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here while I was in NYC for business. I picked the hotel based on the location - it's just a few blocks from Penn Station. The rooms were very small and dark, and didn't seem to be cleaned very well. The bathrooms were the same. While my stay was alright, I would not stay here again. There are better places at similar prices that can be found.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sebastian A, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, October 10, 2016
Dear bhaber,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay at. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I would love to invite you back to show you how we do things. Don't hesitate to reach out to me the next time you are visiting us here in the big apple.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Indiana
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had an appointment just 2 blocks north of this hotel so it was a pleasant surprise to see that Hilton had a newish property in town so nearby. I think this hotel used to be a Wyndham but became a Doubletree relatively recently. The street it's located on isn't exactly posh but it's safe enough during the daytime and it's very close to Penn Station, which is always a big bonus for me who always takes the train into NYC from NJ.

The hotel room was what I expected - a small, functional Manhattan hotel room. It was far from the best hotel room I've stayed in in NYC but it was one of the best values. One convenient thing about the hotel's compact shape is that you don't have to walk around too much to get to your room once you get to your floor. I ate breakfast downstairs and was pleased by the quick service. (a little perk about expensive hotel breakfasts) However, I was less than pleased by the "business centre"... consisting of a printer sitting near the lobby. It was inadequate for business travellers and I wouldn't stay here for business again if the situation stays the same. However, I think it is a good value for a leisure stay in midtown Manhattan.

One thing to note... I'm not sure where they got "Times Square" in the hotel name. The hotel is nearly a mile from Times Square. Perhaps "Somewhere in midtown Manhattan south of Times Square" would have been a more appropriate name. The location works for some people, (including me) but for those people wanting to walk out onto Times Square (or at least walk out and see it) from their hotel, it'd be best to look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PersonalEnsign
Dear jinphil_cho,

norwell, ma
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel is in a good location. It's clean and comfortable.The staff has ranged from very good to "I can't believe you'll do this for me". The bed is great. There's something about returning to the hotel that has a nice feel to it. It makes a visit to NYC complete.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank peter s
Dear peter s,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We would love to invite you back to our property the next time you are visiting the big apple.

Richmond, VA
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here while attending a convention at the Javits Center. The hotel has been recently renovated, including the guest room we stayed in. We found everything to be updated, clean and comfortable - frankly better than we were expecting for the price. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was large by NYC standards - my husband and I could be in there at the same time, not always the case in mid-town. The staff was friendly and helpful, parking was nearby (though expensive) and the lobby bar was convenient for ice, drinks, etc. The hotel restaurant is pleasant but quite expensive and a bit slow - there are other, cheaper options for breakfast nearby. We would definitely stay here again when attending a convention or for a very quick business trip. I would not stay here with children or for a leisure trip - there are better options in the city for this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear scmRichmond,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was in NYC to conduct interviews and John Lopez the Assistant Director of Food and Beverages was so very accommodating. The hostess in the restuarant, Hanah set up a table for us to conduct interview and the staff was very thoughtful and friendly. John and his team did all of the little things that make traveling just a little easier!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jerry F,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just returned from a five night stay here and I was very impressed. We had a king sized bed which was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The room size was more than adequate,with plenty of space for clothes etc. our room was kept extremely clean by housekeeping ,with toiletries topped up every day. This hotel is in a great location, central to everything with the subway only 2 blocks away if you need it. However, I must say that, as with most hotels, it's the staff that can have the biggest impression on you and the staff here were faultless. So friendly and helpful,with hot cookies on hand too. Would recommend without a doubt.

Room Tip: King sized bed a must
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear coffindaisy,

Whittier, California, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This trip was a very special one for my son and I , The hotel was great in everything , the location is right in the middle of it all, you can walk everywhere and close to the subways.
I would stay here again for sure , rates of rooms are the best Jan/Feb.
Yolanda