“Think twice”

Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South
Ranked #346 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Think twice”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This is ok for one night but the rooms are super small. There is only a small pathway between the door to the bed and the same size between the bed and the window. The bathrooms are sizeable though. Not a bad room if you are alone. Although fairly clean, we did get a free pair of men's underwear hanging on the hook in the bathroom (yuck). Keep in mind you are not on a main drag and may need to walk to catch a cab.

• Stayed December 2012
Sebastian A, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, October 10, 2016
Dear domer77,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay at. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I would love to invite you back to show you how we do things. Don't hesitate to reach out to me the next time you are visiting us here in the big apple.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oakley, California
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Rooms were comfortable and had modern, pleasant decor. Room service was delivered fast and was tasty. Staff were friendly and polite. Located near to Macy's and not too far from Times Square the hotel is in a great location.
The restaurant downstairs was simple but tasty food with exceptionally friendly service.

1 Thank Coke24
Dear Coke24,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We would love to invite you back to our property the next time you are visiting the big apple.

North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only. The hotel is about 5 or 6 blocks south of Time Square within comfortable walking distance. Penn station is also conveniently close.
The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout my stay. The room was a reasonable size on NYC standards, it was clean and fairly well equiped. A coffee machine is also provided in the room.
Wifi is free in the lobby, and available in your room at a nominal charge. The hotel also has a restaurant and fitness center, but I did not use these so cannot comment on them.
I was a bit disppointed that the hotel only has two elevators, and these are also used by the staff. I ended up more than once with a cleaning trolley or trash bags in the elevator.
Ideally i would give this hotel a 3.5 rating, but rounded up :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SATraveller25
Dear SATraveller25,

toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all, those who complain on here about room size obviously have never been inside a NY apartment building. Listen people the closer you are to Time Square, Empire State Building, MSG etc. the smaller the space is in buildings. The rooms are small but expected so if you want a bigger room than stay farther away. Beggers cannot be choosers IMO. I stayed on the 26th floor and had arranged for early checkin. Though it wasn't available, the staff held the bags for us. Honestly who cares its NYC!! Drop your stuff off and go explore. The location is perfect, those who complain obviously live in the burbs and enjoy beaches. Newsflash the city has over 10 million people in it at its slowest times. You're do to see a homeless man or three...get over it. The staff is great and the manager Anthony was very accommodating so I thank him for that. We stayed over NYE and let me say the closer you stay to Time Square the more better off you are. I've read many of the reviews on here, and having travelled a lot those who rate this bad obviously have standards as if they were a celebrity. It takes about a 5-8 min walk to Time Square. Realize you're paying for location to explore the city NOT to just hang around in your hotel room. Everything was clean and perfect. The view was also great. Also if your located from the 2nd-10th floor than take the stairs! It's called courtesy to other guests. I feel bad for the staff who need to deal with the complainers of the many families that stay here......to the staff of the Doubletree - Time Square South, thank you and all the best in 2013

Room Tip: location is the best option for NYC travellers....keep that in mind when booking your trips...this p...
3 Thank bluejayway_1983
Dear bluejayway_1983,

Arlington, VA
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was an only-room-I-could-get for New Year's Eve hotel, so my expectations were not high. The room was so small I couldn't find a spot to open my suitcase. If my husband was sitting at the desk I had to crawl across the bed to get across the room. Waits for the elevators were terrible. Thankfully we were on the 5th floor so we could walk down. Everything about the hotel was small, the lobby, the elevators, the check-in desk. Having said that, there were a couple of positive points. Easy walk to Penn Station, even with luggage. The staff seemed to know that the hotel was way overpriced, so they were nice about freebees like wi-fi password. The bartender was so ashamed of charging me $4 for a can of soda that he gave me two. The bathroom was actually nice, and large compared to the actual room. If you are using a hotel as nothing but a crash pad for a NYC trip, this one would be OK if you got a good deal.

1 Thank tropicalfan
Miriam S, Director of Sales at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Tropicalfan,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback via TripAdvisor. We know that space is at a premium in the city and we are sorry to hear you were not impressed with the layout and appointment of your room. We strive to provide the most efficient use of our square footage possible and welcome any suggestions on how we might improve this.

I am glad to hear our location was convenient for your activities and that you found our staff member friendly and accommodating. We hope you were able to enjoy your New Year's celebrations and that we may have another opportunity to show you the quality stay you deserve the next time you visit the area.

Miriam Sta Ana
Director of Sales and Marketing
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for Dec 22, 2012. It looked great from the outside but thats all I can say about it. First, the parking is $50 a day at the garage down the street. That means if you leave your care there for 24 hrs and 1 sec its $100. The sign says "DoubleTree Guests Park Here". I would be embarrassed as a hotel owner to have that attached to my name.
The rooms, are comical. Ikea like chest for a "closet". Double bed rooms have about 2 x 2 feet aisles to get around the room. Impossible for more than 2 people to be comfortable. The bathrooms were average.
Then the best part.
Broken elevator with nobody working to fix it. They put a sign up that said sorry for the inconvenience and had no one coming in for 3 days. In a 26 story building one elevator means everyone between 2-16 can't get on the elevator because the people in 17-26 get in before you with all their luggage. If you choose to wait for the elevator the wait was on average 15-20 mins. For the cost, space, appearance this was a very sub par hotel. Been to NYC 3 years in a row at Chirstmas so I won't let them argue the "time of year". AVOID THIS PLACE

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Traveler3315
Dear Traveler3315,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is far from a Doubletree which you are familiar with. The room was so small, I had to go outside to change my mind. Really though, I had an upgrade, and was still small. I had also received multiple messages while I was there, asking that I review favorably the hotel, but I can't say that I will.
The breakfast, while well maintained and served, was less then a $5 meal around the corner, although priced above $20. The servers that I did run into, were doing their job well, and were friendly.

Room Tip: Try the Doubletree on Lexington, much larger rooms and better location to rest. etc.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business