“Working hard to please”

The Standard, East Village
Ranked #186 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel has clean and new rooms, but even more important, for a reasonable NYC price. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful. As a hotel guest you have access to a wonderful courtyard and a work-out facility across the street. I highly recommend the hotel and its location in Cooper Square near NYU.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Thomas F
There are newer reviews for The Standard, East Village

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Standard for my Birthday celebration, everything was perfect! from the cool young staff members, the breathtaking views overlooking Manhattan, the unique design of the property, spectacular drinks at the bar and of course the impeccable Dinner at Narcissa.

Room Tip: chose a high floor if rooms are available, the sunsets are breathtaking
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank OcramIhcsuber
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and left a suitcoat hanging in the closet. When I realized I called the hotel and they said they had it. I went back the following day to pick it up and my handmade Italian 1500$ coat was stuffed into a plastic bag that was no more than 6" in diameter. I was horrified that this would be the way a nice coat was treated.

In addition the hotel had an extra charge from the cafe on my check out that I did not charge to my room. They took it off the bill only to add it again after I left. Since I never charge things to my room I know it was not mine. The same thing happened when I stayed at the Standard West Village last year and had to call and get it removed.

I think I'll stay elsewhere because while it's beautiful there is common sense lacking.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Hanzlander66
Serena L, General Manager at The Standard, East Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Hanzlander66,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. I was truly disappointed to learn of your experience. Rest assured that I have addressed the matter with our team and we are revisiting our practices to ensure that this does not happen again.

I would appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in The Standard, East Village and will be reaching out to you directly to discuss.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful room, great view and even better service. Very modern room with a great shower. Comfortable bed with enough pillows. Within walking distance of some wonderful restaurants. Arranged transportation to the airport. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I had stayed here last year and was pleasantly surprised at the warm welcome I received . The young staff here are excellently trained and very pleasant and helpful. The Hotel itself is a gem with wonderful views of south Manhattan. July 4th fireworks were easily seen. The Restaurants are excellent too a definite NY vibe that less pretentious than Standard Highline. I gladly recommend this gem.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give you more commanding views
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I have spent a good deal of last year at the Standard. Yes it has small rooms, but the location, the view of the rooms, the roof terrace make up for it and more. Specially the location.

The only reason I am writing another review is to publicly say thanks to Julie Kim, from their reservations department.

I had my reservation done through the travel agent that handles my company's business. Due to an error in their system, they quoted me a price that was not what the hotel had on my reservations (it was about 70% less than the hotel rates). I contacted both the hotel and the travel agent. The agents recognised their error, and essentially told me "tough luck". Faced with the prospect of a trip costing 70% more, I asked her if she could discount the rate in someway. Her reply: "we will honour the original (wrong) rate as a gesture". Now, this is what I call a gesture.

The hotel did not have to do it, but somehow, I did not expect anything else. Top class.

Room Tip: Ask, beg if necessary, for a high room. It is worth for the wall to wall window
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcn_uk
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here in July 2014 for a conference at NYU. It was a great location, just a few blocks away from NYU, Washington Square park, and several good restaurants. The staff was amazing and went above and beyond to accommodate our early arrival and late departure -- storing our bags, providing a comfortable area after check-out and before airport transportation for us to change clothes, recharge iPhones, and rest (a cool spot on the 2nd floor surrounded by windows with a great view of the courtyard). Stephan, Makke, and D'Angelo were very attentive and provided service with a smile -- very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff gave a fabulous dinner recommendation and handled the reservation. The calamari in the hotel's café was delicious. Service was slow, but we weren't in a rush so it was fine. The place got very busy in the evening. The side courtyard was the perfect spot for a late night cocktail. The room was modern and comfortable. It was small, but the wall of floor-to-ceiling windows provided a great view and made the room feel much larger. The lip-shaped throw pillows made us smile!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business