“Amazing hotel”

The Standard, East Village
Ranked #229 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel really is a jewel. Where to start! The cafe space amazingly transforms from a cozy brunch ambiance to a chic place to get drinks at night. The staff is so friendly and accommodating; you can tell they actually have fun while working. It makes you smile as you're walking through the front door! Each room has a stunning view of the city - and the penthouse - unreal. The real testament to how great this place is the fact that New Yorkers actually come for food and drinks.

I will only stay at this hotel from now on. It's the perfect combination of modern and unpretentious.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I travel to NYC a lot. I used to live in NYC.
Why, oh why, have I not stayed at the Standard in the East Village before?
Great rooms, great staff, great bistro, great location, incredible hospitality and service. I felt like I was away from the fast-pace, but had everything nearby.

It was just perfect, but not trying to be just perfect.
A balance that is hard to pull off and find.
It is a great place. I will stay there again, and recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Thank you to the superior staff.

1  Thank Miguel P
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Tops! The most upbeat, friendly helpful staff- one of the coolest, chic yet unpretentious hotels I've ever stayed in. The cafe/bar was such a jewel with amazing food and a perfect NYC village atmosphere. Room was super clean, chic and cozy with one of the most comfy beds I've ever slept in. The view is one I will never forget. Gorgeous times a million. I was lucky enough to get married in the penthouse suite which had a breathtaking view and perfect ambience( I highly recommend this). The staff could not of been more helpful to please us and make our stay unforgettable. A special shout out to that amazing bartender -whoever you are! All of our guests stayed here as well and are still raving about the place. If you are looking for the perfect spot to stay-look no further!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We Recently just stayed at the Standard, during a snow storm, that seemed to hit most of the East Coast, I was a little apprehensive about staying in NYC that wkd as I hate being cold, but had to be there for work, and it was Valentine's weekend so we decided to make the most of it. The Hotel and staff were nothing but lovely.

We loved the luxious bed, with goose down pillows and Duvet's, it was like sleeping in a cloud, in fact I am now trying to upgrade our bedding at home to match, as the best sleep I have had in ages.

This will definately be my go to Hotel when I am in the city, due to the convenient location for shopping and restaurants/ nightlife - everything we needed only being a cheap cab ride away, at most. The Standard is however still peacfull, and we were not subjected to listening to night time revellers, which was what we wanted. I have to say that my favourite touch was the black robes with hoods! I lived in mine.

We luckilly had a room on the corner so my view wrapped the whole way around the room, so the view was superb. All in all a great trip, with very helpfull, friendly and good looking staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank anjibaby
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I recently stayed at The Standard East Village and I was really pleasantly surprised. I've stayed at the Meatpacking Standard which was really not my thing (too loud, too trendy). This is a grown up version of the rock and roll Standard brand, and something I hope they'd get more into.
When I checked in I was so warmly received, almost like I was a frequent guest. I needed a few toiletries that I had forgotten and they offered to run out and get them for me at once.
When I got to my room, I had a spectacular view of uptown, the lights of the city twinkling at me, worthy of a winning Instagram photo of a trip to NYC. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in my entire life and I slept like a dream thanks to the blackout curtains that covered the floor to ceiling windows. The new restaurant Narcissa was just opening and the food was so good, the service was really accommodating (as I like a lot of things on the side) and the room was pumping full of great energy. And the music wasn't too loud! I actually could hear my friends at dinner, something that's hard to come by in NY restaurants.
I also really like the location of the hotel, which is really central and made me eager to explore more of the East Village, which has really grown into a chic part of town with great restaurants and shops.
I really recommend this place if you are looking for a comfortable, well thought out and cared for experience and not the usual attitude of hipster boutique hotels that don't care about the guest experience! This will be my go to place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I just spent 4 days here and couldn't be happier with my stay. I have stayed at other Standards and feel this one more than lived up to the Standard "standard." Cool, modern design, the service was exceptional, and the views cannot be beat. Most comfy bed I've ever slept in too. Couldn't reccomend it more for a warm, intimate stay in the East Village.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed in this hotel recently for a couple of days whilst on a business trip in NYC. My son (NYC resident) recommended it.
I was extremely disappointed. The room was very small (fire escape map on door suggested others were about the same size). The bed was a queen size yet filled the whole room. The wardrobe reminded me of what I had in student accomodation, sourced from IKEA. The desk barely had room for a laptopo let alone papers. The seat was designed for appearance rather than sitting.
The views (I was on c 16th floor I think) across downtown/Business District were pretty spectacular however the windows were so big, and it felt drafty, that I could not get the room warm enough.
The bathroom was very small and COLD. Not much fun getting out of a shower to a cold room. The towels did not pass my "towel test". They have been laundered so often you can feel confident of a body scrub. Not my idea of comfort and absolutely not luxurious.
If you want comfort: avoid.
If you like quirky and want to stay in the area, be prepared for lots of compromise.
Not recommended

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kevin M
Matthew T, Manager at The Standard, East Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Kevin M

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the views from your guest room but naturally, I was very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience. I am sorry that the room felt small & cold and that despite our recent placement of new bathroom towelling in all guest rooms, you found it to be over laundered. Kevin M, I would value the opportunity to restore your faith in The Standard, East Village and will attempt to contact you, alternatively please feel free to contact me directly.

Best,