In the last 3 months I spend about 20 nights at the Standard in East Village. Yes, the rooms are small, but there are many pluses with this hotel that makes up for it:
1. Despite their small size, they have wall to wall and some floor to floor windows. Stay in a room above the 15th floor, and the view from your room beats any other in NY.
2. Rooms are smartly done, with all the minimalist amenities of a boutique hotel in the Village.
3. The staff is pretty nice and very welcoming
4. The view from the breakfast terrace is an attraction in itself. The breakfast is a rarity in NY, with very good fresh fruits, croissant, etc. It gets crowded during peak times, but still, step outside and you are floating above Manhattan.
5. The location: East Village, is as good as it gets in terms of Manhattan. The number of restaurants, varying from ultra-hip joints to soup&burger dinners, the mixture of people (very thin models, very homeless guys, very "normal" people like you and me) - this is such a contrast from the other more touristy areas of the city, all still a simple subway ride away, if you really want something from Times Square.
At the moment, the Standard is my second home, and I cannot recommend it enough.
If you run, get off the hotel, turn right on 6th Street and go all the way. 6th ends on the east river park, where you can run all the way to brooklyn if you wish.
If you prefer a gym, they have a partnership with a big fancy gym across the road
Pretty simple to take the subway from / to the airport, if you want to save some cash. Check the MTA website, but you can take the F train from the 2nd Avenue station, change at Jay street for the A train going to JFK. About 40 minutes, instead of the 2 to 4 hours by car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located off Cooper Square in one of New York's most vibrant, artistic neighborhoods, The Standard, East Village is cozy, charming, and eccentric in equal measure-very much in the spirit of its surroundings. You enter the 21-story tower through an original tenement-style building before ascending to unparalleled views of Manhattan. There's a quiet, calm garden tucked away at street level, Michelin-starred chef John Fraser's widely acclaimed Narcissa, and the bustling, street-side Café Standard, which hums from morning until late night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your The Standard, East Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard, East Village Hotel New York City
- Hotel Cooper Square