“Loved this hotel”

The Standard, East Village
Ranked #186 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We loved staying at this hotel. The rooms are compact but everything you need is there. The views are incredible, from the rooms and the penthouse for breakfast. The Courtyard is delightful and the food served there delicious. The staff offered wonderful customer service, always willing to help, offer advice and information, and it was a comfortable place to be. We will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: higher the level better the view
There are newer reviews for The Standard, East Village

Reviewed August 22, 2013

August 19th we moved our 24 year old daughter to a new apartment in the East Village. Before we drove down from Toronto I went online with TripAdvisor to find something nearby. From the reviews, price and location I settled on the Standard, East Village. After a long tiring day of driving and moving, the Standard was a wonderful oasis to recover in. My wife loved the soft beds and luxurious linens. We both admire contemporary décor, and our high floor corner unit was very nicely decorated. The toiletries were wonderful. The room was very quiet. Check in and check out were a breeze. It might be me, but it seemed that everyone who worked here was 22 - 35 years old. There is a complimentary breakfast on the 21st floor with panoramic views of the area. The coffee was wonderful and self-serve! Added bonus, the hotel has an arrangement with a fantastic fitness club right across the street so I got an unexpectedly great work-out. For the price, I can't think that I have ever stayed in a better hotel, and this is to compare to Fairmont's and Four Seasons. We will be back!

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the end of July. Prior to my arrival I wrote 3 emails with some requests to three different email addresses which were mentioned on the website of the hotel, and I never got any reply. This was already a sign that the hotel should have been canceled from the very beginning.

As it is mentioned everywhere on Tripadvisor and other sources, one should stay at Standard East Village because of the great views, and this is exactly what I had requested: a room on the high floor with the best views (eligible for deluxe corner king), and I booked quite well in advance. Instead of the high floor I was given an upgrade (to what they called suit) on the third floor. I checked the room, and it had absolutely no views, and the noise from the street was unbearable. So I had to go back to reception and ask for the room that I have booked. Besides on the website of Standard it does not say that suits are located on the third floor, so I do not know what kind of room they showed to me. Then I had to check another room, which smelled really bad because someone has probably smoked in there, and with the worst possible views again. Not all the views are great at Standard, You are lucky to get a view on the Empire State Building, but some views show the city as if after the nuclear war. To cut the story short this check-in took three hours, was the worst check-in in my life, and I ended on the 14th floor, which according to the receptionist was very high ( all deluxe corner king rooms are located between 10th and 20th, so if 14th is very high for this category, then someone didn't study math at school..).

So for all the mess with the check-in, noone has offered even a glass of water at the bar, where I had to wait for a couple of hours for the more-or-less right room to be ready. The service at the bar is pretty loosy, and the bar is frequented by very loud companies of guests from outside, who do not respect any privacy of the other people.

The next morning i was having a breakfast at the famous Penthouse (bar on the top floor), the view was good, but it is not THE VIEW to die for and stay at this hotel. The bar was busy for private events all the nights, so maybe the evening view is better, but I had no chance to experience it during all the four nights of the stay.

People are friendly at the entrance, but they would not remember you, and still ask if you here to check in, when it is already a fourth day of stay of yours.

I have been previously recommended not to stay at this hotel because it does not match to the other properties of Andre Balazs. I have unfortunately not listened to it, however my advice would also be to skip this hotel.

PS. I have asked to talk to the general manager of the hotel, and the answer of Jennifer-the receptionist, was - GM is busy, when I was checking-out after four nights, still no GM has approached me. Aren' t the guests the most valuable what the hotel has? With such an attitude I can understand why this hotel is managed like it is.

Room Tip: A room with a view to Empire State Building higher than 18th floor, but be ready that they would mes...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AdventurerHamburg
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Pleasant stay. "Double Double" room on the 12th floor was very small, but lovely views. Very clean, with comfortable beds, good air conditioning, extremely quiet - I did not hear any hotel noise and the only street noise was an occasional siren. The bathroom was tiny and the bath/shower combination was a bit difficult to use. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast on 21st floor was adequate, and the view spectacular (this is a special during construction). Location very convenient to Metro and the fun village neighborhoods. Nice gym (free passes).

Room Tip: The higher the better for great views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Standard set a new standard for customer service for us. We've never experienced a large hotel that did as much to make us feel welcome. First of all, they called us and then emailed to see if we needed anything prior to arrival. Sure, some places email, but who calls? We mentioned that we would be taking a red eye so we wouldn't mind an early check in. And sure enough, they had a room ready for us at 9 am when we showed up.

Then there's the treats. On many nights, we came back to our room to find treats. Often they were the exact things we stopped to pick up at a store on our way back, but who's to complain? We found bottles of the minerally house rosé from Provence, sparkling water, bowls of nuts and peaches, always accompanied by friendly notes.

The room itself was small, but well appointed. There was plenty of storage space, a very comfortable bed, a good-sized desk, a large bathroom, a TV with probably close to a thousand channels, and in our case, a wall of windows with a view of the Empire State Building. The amenities included a steady supply of ear plugs and an exceptionally good body lotion. The air conditioning was impeccable, even though it wasn't needed for much of our trip.

The rooftop breakfasts were a treat, with an amazing view, along with plenty of pastries, cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt. The staff seemed to struggle to keep the room supplied with coffee, but again, the staff were so friendly and accommodating that they knew exactly how to handle such situations with aplomb. Seriously, everyone who works here deserves a gold star. We also were invited to enjoy an evening on the penthouse balcony, so we dropped by to hang after an amazing dinner at Mas in Greenwich Village. They had a bar open to offer drinks, but they didn't mind that we brought our own bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. They even handed us glasses and a corkscrew, with a mention that they're here to make guests happy. Another gold star!

Now, we don't want to nitpick on a place that raises the bar so high, but they do have a weird issue with hydration. New York can get muggy, so water is essential. They don't ever have water available at breakfast, and they almost always took away our used room glasses without replacing any of them. We constantly had to call down to ask for replacement clean glasses. Sure, they arrived in less than ten minutes, but still they should have been there in the first place. The room also didn't have a place to stash our luggage. There was plenty of place to hang our clothes or put it in drawers, but nowhere to tuck our rather standard issue Samsonite hard shell luggage. We wound up hiding them behind the curtains. The room could also use a bit of a paint refresher as some of the trim was chipped. Hopefully, they will get to that when the lobby construction is finished.

Finally, a comment about the other guests: friendly, stylish, happy, and curious. Cool people to interact with, and people watch, if you are so inclined.

Will we stay here again? Yes. Will we recommend it to others? We already have.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Spent a long weekend in Manhattan last year shortly after Thanksgiving and we stayed at The Standard during the hotel's renovations and whilst I loved it my wife was left disappointed.

The renovation wasn't bothersome at all (eg no noise or dust etc.) other than the reception area being reduced in size which made it 'cosy' .

The breakfast brunch (provided free of charge in compensation of the renovations) were hosted on the penthouse floor with a very good spread of food being offered and the views were everything you would want from a hotel in the heart of NYC.

The bar area is small but cool and a great place to start a night before the onslaught of Manhattan nightlife smacks you in the face.

Fitness junkies can get their fix at the gym across the road which you receive complimentary passes to use (nice but this was enough of an excuse for me not to go)

The staff were always friendly and very attentive and helpful with a special mention going to Caroline on Concierge who was so patient with our requests which always kept changing

Even by New York standards, the room sizes here are small (and we stayed in a Deluxe Corner) and it was frustrating to try and keep the room tidy with simply not enough space to lay out items. Even the cupboards were small and had to use suitcase as a make shift drawer. Whilst our trip was never intended to be a relaxing one the hotel room is one place where you hope to catch a breather or spend some time pruning yourself in tranquility before hitting the nightlife. Oh well, you live and learn.

The location of the hotel is fantastic - great if you love walking as all the shopping in SoHo are reachable. Subway system is in close proximity and theres always a cab going past if you simply can't be bothered. Great places around too for a decent breakfast should you get bored of the views on the Penthouse floor.

All in all a very cool hotel, fantastic staff and great location but room size will annoy most. Be wary if you choose this place on your first visit to NYC as you may be disappointed but if you're an old timer then definitely check it out.

Room Tip: Try and negotiate a room rate - we booked with another couple and got the price down.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2013

PICTURES ARE VERY deceiving. We are currently staying at this east village hotel and I truly am NOT impressed. The room is a shoebox for a courtyard king,the bathroom has more space than one needs in a shower. They should have put more thought into design and utilize excess space from bathroom to increase room size. They do not do maid service unless you ask or leave your sign up for service. I left my sign to clean room and they never did clean it until I had to ask front desk. Paying $300 plus a night you should clean my room everyday. The view is nice from penthouse breakfast area. There is construction and it's hard to find hotel. I am a New Yorker and have lived in NYC. This area at night is not a good place to be. So many hoodlums hanging around area,it scared both my husband and I. Poor amenities as well.

Room Tip: Many better places to stay than The Standard
2  Thank jr13160