“Stunning views over the city, unobtrusive luxury”

The Standard, East Village
Ranked #218 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Those reviewers posting that the rooms were small are not living in the real world - this is Manhattan, for goodness' sake! We had a corner room with (almost) floor to ceiling windows looking out over the city. We kept the curtains open until we actually went to sleep just to drink in the views. The bed was amazingly comfortable - you literally sank into it, but it was firm at the same time. The bathroom products were lovely and plentiful and the mini bar (not that we used it) was stocked with everything you could possibly need (or want) - have never seen anything like it. Staff at reception were incredibly friendly and breakfasts, again with views over the city, were superb, They even had take-away boxes in case you wanted to take stuff to eat later. Wonderful, magical stay - don't miss out!

Room Tip: Corner rooms with king bed

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for a week. Great location, close to SoHo. Very friendly staff. Room was comfortable and modern and the views were amazing. Looked forward to breakfast every morning in the penthouse. Cool pub The Smith nearby. Surrounding area more "spread out" compared to Times Square area, less tourist/people congestion. Lots of restaurant option. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Couldn't be better located for a holiday in NYC. In the East Village with a choice of fabulous restaurants, cafes, bars and boutiques within minutes from the hotel. The staff was helpful, specially in letting us check in early and giving us a free upgrade to a corner room With wrap around floor to ceiling windows facing Bowery. (No street noise) That was great as from all counts it seems the standard rooms are generally very small. The bed was a bit too soft for me. Large sink in pillows too. The linens and towels were also ultra plush. The bathroom was small but all the styling compensated. There was complimentary breakfast served in the penthouse with the most stunning views of Manhattan. This more than made up for the inconvenience of the renovation work in progress. Like most New York hotels, it seems a bit overpriced for what you get, but nevertheless, its a great hotel in the city, in a fabulous location.

Room Tip: Choose A higher floor for great manhattan views
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here for two nights a few weeks ago while in NYC for a conference. Although my room was very small, the bed itself was extremely comfortable (I prefer mattresses that are softer/plush, and the mattress here was perfect for me). Also, I couldn't hear any noise from the street (my room faced the back of the building and I was on the 11th floor). Because of the mattress and the lack of noise, I was able to sleep more soundly than at other hotels at which I've recently stayed while in NYC. This was important in terms of my ability to function at my morning meetings.

Some other things I liked about this hotel were the friendly (and surprisingly unpretentious) staff, the complimentary breakfast in the penthouse, and the fast wifi connection. The location was also very convenient. Although my conference was within walking distance of the hotel, I had no problem finding a cab when I had to go to midtown for a dinner meeting.

I am definitely planning to stay here again.

Room Tip: -- I wasn't able to fully darken the room due to the light coming from the high window in the ba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sarah7038
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We enjoyed our 2 nights here. On the plus side...the bed, breakfast ( top floor, with stunning views and fresh lovely food), views from the bathroom,and the friendly 2nd floor bar. The negatives....a pokey room with furniture that seemed ill suited to the awkward shape, a tiny bathroom space, and flakey wireless reception. Location suited us perfectly,as we love that area.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Last March my husband and I spent 7 days in NYC. When I got to the hotel I was shocked how small the room was and that there was only one side table, so we thought 3 days in this was fine but 7?? The bed though was super delicious -- I just melted in it. The linens were thick and cozy - it made you not want to get out of bed. Even the bath towels were large and thick - a trait of a luxury hotel. However since the room was too small we were still considering moving out. The next day we woke up to a delicious and healthy complimentary breakfast on the top floor of the hotel with spectacular floor to ceiling window views of the city and jazz music playing in the background. It was absolutely surreal just sitting there enjoying breakfast with this view - I have never experienced anything like this in NYC (even when I lived there years ago). The breakfast guys were also very helpful with making sure we got everything we needed for breakfast. If only the room was bigger. We went to the front desk, spoke with Kat (She MADE our trip GREAT!) if there was any way we could get a bigger room because we felt really uncomfortable with the room. She brought us to 2 other rooms and in the end showed us a room that was a double upgrade that we couldnt afford but gave it to us anyway without extra charge. I was SO HAPPY I actually cried tears (totally embarrassing) of joy. We had a good room, a breakfast with a view and on the 2nd floor they had a sofa area where you could order drinks, sit and watch the world go by. Every return to the hotel after a long day, we were greeted by the front desk people and they really had a personalized touch. They knew our names, they anticipated when we needed cabs, they made awesome restaurant recommendations and reservations for us. When I reserved seats in the bar and my friends arrived ahead of me, they took good care of our friends. It felt like a home away from home -- not common in all the other hotels we have stayed in NYC. The location --IDEAL - you are in the center of almost everything. The 6 train which goes to soho and uptown is 2 blocks away. The hotel is walking distance to Noho, the East Village and Union Square. We were sad to leave. We miss the breakfast. We cant wait to definitely come back and stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Sure, the rooms are a little small. There's room for a bed, a tiny desk (but not really room to sit at it) and an armoire. But floor to ceiling windows made the room seem more spacious. The room darkening shades were a welcome addition. The bathroom was fantastic. One of my favorite hotel bathtubs, lovely towels (and great linens on the bed, too). Construction at the hotel wasn't an inconvenience and the free breakfast served in the penthouse more than made up for it.
Use of the gym across the street was great and the location was fantastic. Would happily stay here again.