“Horrible! Under construction and the worst service!!”

The Standard, East Village
Ranked #217 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Don't come here while it is under construction until May 2013. A total inconvenience. Also when we got here our higher floor, expensive room was about the size of a closet. We had to upgrade for $75 more a night. Cable never worked. The engineer was in our room multiple times, never resolved. The hotel manager's answer was do you want to check out tonight? Unbelievable.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank docpaul7
Serena L, General Manager at The Standard, East Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am terribly sorry for the problems you encountered while staying with us. We sincerely apologize for the inadequate cable service, and that it was not fixed immediately. We have been experiencing technical problems with our provider and we are in the process of ensuring this does not occur again. The Hotel offers many room types and sizes. We are happy to extend upgrades on arrival for a small increase in rate.

This is not how we wished to welcome you to the Standard, East Village, and we hope you will return for a more comfortable stay. We are currently renovating the first floor to further improve our hotel experience, and we have taken many steps to minimize the inconvenience to our guests including a complimentary continental breakfast served in our Penthouse. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make up for your understandably frustrating experience in the near future.

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

One of the most amazing view of manhattan from the room! The place is really nice, well based just at the beginning of the east village!
I'll be back as soon as they finish the works.
The view on the penthouse is amazing

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Cristiano C
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed there for 5 nights.
Lovely hotel, very pleasant staff and good breakfasts.
The beds are the comfiest I have ever slept in!
Free standing building so great views and interesting building.
Outside sitting areas are cool.
Can have refreshments in the library and none residents go there too.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are beautiful with exceptionally stunning views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I love the public rooms in this hotel, particularly when the weather is nice enough to sit outside. I'm not a big fan of the hotel rooms, which are small and have too many neo-1960 browns for me. The hotel has changed size, but the photos of the rooms look very similar.

Room Tip: High rooms on the south side. I haven't stayed in a corner suite. My corner room was small.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewYorkarchitect
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the new Standard before it has been finished so maybe there is more to come. Like the restaurant and gift shop. These can really give a hotel personality so take this review with that in mind.

The room was tiny, comically so. We do have a 2 year old that needed a crib but I am not looking for a suite, just space. When I had to walk around the bed to get to the crib by feet could barely fit between the bed and the wall. On two sides. They basically squeeze a queen bed into a room so you can look out the window when you sit up in bed. Then you just have to scoot around and get to the bathroom.

The views are great when you get high up because the neighbourhood has low buildings so that's nice.

We also attended a reception in the top floor penthouse. There are full 360 degree views from giant windows. This was the highlight of the stay. They also served breakfast in this suite because the restaurant was closed. They put out a beautiful, truly delicious breakfast while we sat and watched the most gorgeous sun rise over New York.

The hotel looks like it will be cool and contemporary but it remains to be seen if it will be over the top and draw the hip crowd. I still want to stay at the other Standard which has the highline to it's credit.

Room Tip: Higher the better, the view can get spectacular.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in The Standard in the East Village for 2 nights. So many of the reviews indicate "small room". Well... I had a corner room - with an expansive view in 2 directions of Manhattan. The room was sizable; much bigger than I've had in comparable establishments.

I found the bed plush and easy for sleeping. The service was excellent. It was raining and they provided complimentary umbrellas at the front desk. The front desk people easily suggested good restaurants in the area; and scored well in the selections.

Location is easy to get around - and safe at night.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was my first time traveling to NYC and I was traveling on business. I tried to find a hotel that was near the location of my meeting and this property was recommended by a friend. I work in the travel industry and make it a point to write reviews on hotels that have provided outstanding service. The staff at The Standard Hotel - East Village were beyond friendly, amazing, courteous, professional, polite, well mannered....I could keep going. I cannot say enough about the employees at this hotel that I had an opportunity to interact with. The hotel is currently undergoing some renovations but I was not inconvenienced in any way during my stay!

I was happy that my friend that referred this location advised me that NYC rooms are smaller than what I am used to so that took some of the "shock" away when I entered the room. The room was EXTREMELY clean and had a great view of downtown Manhattan. Room was on the 16th floor, King bed, working desk, mini-bar, and private bathroom. As an added amenity, the room has umbrellas available for "free" use as long as you returned them. Otherwise, they were $25. Considering it was cold and rainy when I arrived in NYC, this came in very handy!

My experience at this Hotel and it's employees was phenomenal. I am planning a personal trip back to the city for some fun and touristy sightseeing and I will definitely be looking at staying here again!

Room Tip: Room 1603; view of the Brooklyn Bridge and South Manhattan