“all to ourselves”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“all to ourselves”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

this pub was near our hotel, well a few blocks away so we stopped in late one drizzly night..lo and behold, no one was in the joint...it seemed the kitchen was closing soon so we hurried to order and our food arrived quickly...the bartender was our server..wings were old, the bones were dark, but they were cooked well...my sis had the short rib which looked dark and delicious..lots of bone and a bit of fat...my other sister's veggies were excellently steamed...spinach and broccoli..i know they were good because i ate them!...at a certain point quite a few folk came in for drinks and the atmosphere got a little lively, but the "chef" nodded to us on his way out the door shortly thereafter....go if you are close by...go if you are hungry...just go anyway

• Visited April 2014

Dersingham, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent find for fantastic food”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

As we were staying at the holiday inn, we found this excellent pub, the food was out of this world, I would highly recommend the New York strip, perfection ..... The calamari for starters was out of this world. The waitress was great, very helpful and nothing was too much trouble, I am gutted that we found this place on the last night as I would have happily worked my through the menu. Thank you for great food.

Visited March 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Go for the bar, not for the food”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Since we were staying nearby (Holiday Inn on West 57th Street), my wife and I thought we would stop in for dinner at what looked like a very inviting place. Our welcome was indifferent, as was the service, and the food. The bacon in the turkey wrap was as hard as a rock and inedible, and the fish and chips were really soaked in grease, and the fish was not entirely cooked. We did notice that the bar scene appeared very warm and attractive, and if we came back again, that's where we would head instead of the tables. Overall, we were disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Kathryn the bar tender is Great!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

1st time at Jakes Saloon. I had a drink while waiting for a friend. Kathryn was a great bar tender. As I sat with my drink at the bar...It got busy and I just watched as she took care of everyone at the bar and plus the drink tickets that the waiter was sending in. It should be called Kathryn's Irish Saloon, lol!! The waiter guy that was there doing the tables was also doing a great job.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great little bar away from the noise!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This bar on the junction of West 57th Street and 10th Avenue was just a 5 minute walk from our hotel. It has a warm buzzing atmosphere, and has a good mix of locals and tourists.

As a Brit, I liked it because it was like a great local pub. Wood panelling, a long, low bar with stools and lots of tables if you wanted to eat. They do typical 'pub grub', and had Heineken and Stella on tap as well as Guinness.They have an excellent barman P.J., who was very friendly and welcoming and really made our evening there very enjoyable.

If you want to get away from the mad crowds in Times Square and just have a beer or glass of wine in an unpretentious bar then we would recommend Jakes Saloon very highly.

Visited December 2013