“Super apartment with a fantastic location”

Oakwood at 6th Avenue
Ranked #389 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The brilliant location of the apartment is between Times Square & Macys and round the corner from the Empire State Building. The one bed apartment has been thoughtfully furnished & has everything you may need, it was clean, spacious & was an extremely pleasant place to stay. Our sleep was not disturbed by street noise, we were on the 7th floor in 702. There is a door concierge, lift, laundry facility & garbage disposal on every floor. I definitely recommend this accommodation, when NY hotels rooms are reputedly small, you will have plenty of room, TVs in lounge/diner/kitchen area & in the bedroom, ample en-suite with towels & toiletries & walk in closet, it is perfect.
Speedys, literally round the corner for a filling and speedy breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Fiona B

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Me my sister and nephew stayed here for my 40th birthday and it was a fantastic find. It is well located and close to a number of subway stations. It is situated between Madison square garden and the empire state building and a short walk from times square

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Ian B
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were a family of four with 2 teenagers, staying in a one bedroomed apartment. There was a large double bedroom with a walk in wardrobe, a good sized bathroom with powerful shower over bath. it had all the amenities you get in a hotel, such as ample towels, hair-dryer, coffee making facilities etc (no kettle though!) 2 TVs, dining table large sofa bed & we had a fold out bed for my daughter - which were all very comfortable. It also had the facilities of a home base with great big fridge/freezer, cooker & hob, microwave, dishwasher with a laundry room on your floor level. There was a room with a trash shoot & recycling bin next to the lift. We stayed on the seventh floor at the back, so noise was reduced from the busy street outside. Convenient for the subway, shops including local stores, larger stores such as Macys, JCP as well having the Empire State Building, Maddison Square Garden, Penn station literally just around the corner. We would stay there again, recommend it as a great base for the whole NY experience!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Diane C
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Excellent accommodation for the money. We spent the first six nights of our honeymoon staying in one of these apartments in the centre of Manhattan and it was just perfect for what we needed. We knew we wanted the flexibility to be able to get up when we wanted, go and eat breakfast in diners rather than feel like we had to eat a hotel breakfast we'd already paid for and be able to walk out the front door and into the heart of the city.

As other reviewers have said the apartments are perfectly located and we started pretty much every day walking out of the apartment in one direction either north up towards Central Park or south down to SoHo, Greenwich Village and Chelsea. The apartments were a good price, clean and having the little kitchen was perfect as it meant that as the jetlag was causing us to wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning we were able to start each day with a freshly brewed coffee and ice cold fruit salad from the fridge before heading out to a diner for breakfast later on.

We found some great places to eat nearby - several times we stopped in at the deli on the corner of 6th Avenue and 31st Street, we had breakfast on several days in the Murray Hill Diner on Lexington and 33rd Street and once in Penelope's on Lexington and 30th and one evening we had dinner nearby at Hill Country Barbecue Market all of which were excellent and just a short walk from the apartment.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank midnightnoodles
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I recently stayed at this property in the two bedroom penthouse apartment. The apartment was very spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. If you are looking for a good sized property with a full kitchen, living room and dining area, two full beds and two full baths, this can't be beat. This is literally across the street from the subway, taxis are available any time of they day and it's well traveled so even walking around at night, you'll feel comfortable. There is a 24 hour doorman. As a female staying in the city, security is of a concern. I always felt safe in this area and entering and leaving the apartment. I would highly recommend this property. This was clean and neat and everything was in great working order. There was a TV in each bedroom as well as the main living area.

Room Tip: There is a certain amount of noise regardless, this being 6th Ave. However with the heating unit on...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Margie B
Reviewed September 21, 2011

The Apartment is not bad and slap bang in the middle of Manhattan. But I have to say the noise is an issue. I'm on the 6th floor of this apartment block and the noise is a big factor here if you have a room facing onto 6th Avenue. There is constant beeping from annoyed taxi drivers and emergency vechicle sirens and this carries on all night into the early hours. There is a lull between about 4am-5am as the taxi drivers change shifts, part of the problem I think is that the road narrows just as it passes Macy's and the windows don't seem to be fully glazed. I used to sleep but wake almost every couple of hours and I'm a good sleeper. I now have ear plugs which is a lot better but last night (and this was unnusual) a pneumatic drill started up at 2.30am on the corner opposite my building- I was so angry. I have to turn my TV up to max to hear it above the traffic and if I want to lounge on the sofa on a Sunday then all I can hear are street hawkers selling knock off designer bags or for example a man playing the panpipes and it doesn't stop all day! My work colleague is in Oakwood on 36th and Madison and her apartment is bigger and quieter on a leafy road and is not very far from here. Take my advice and find somewhere else, you still have to walk places from here, ok there is Macy's and the Empire State Building but not much more before you need to walk or take the subway. If I was staying in NYC longer then I would ask my company to move me to another apartment block, NYC is noisy but this is ridiculous there are apartments that are quieter and still in the heart of the city. The AC is also clunky and noisy, it is a giant radiator with a fan, no digital temperature control.

Room Tip: If you have to choose one, ask for one that isn't facing onto 6th Avenue.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Jo R
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Location / Location / Location was never a more acurat description of the Oakwood.
Right next to the Subway, a block from Macy's, close to the Empire State building /TimesSquare
- in fact it ticked all the boxes.
The Oakwood itself is very unimpressive from the Outside. But then it is not a hotel, and does not pretend to be one. The studio appartment we had was fine for our needs. Lets face it, it's just a place to put your head down at night. Who goes to New York to spend time in a room. The small kitchen was ideal, and the big fridge held alot of beer!
I would recommend the Oakwood and would stay again

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
The Inn at Irving Place
#382 of 473 in New York City
Chelsea
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#113 of 473 in New York City
Midtown
Hotel Edison Times Square
Hotel Edison Times Square
#309 of 473 in New York City
Midtown
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 34 in Long Island City

Been to Oakwood at 6th Avenue? Share your experiences!