“New favorite in Little Italy!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Da Gennaro Restaurant

Da Gennaro Restaurant
Ranked #756 of 13,488 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Southeastern U.S.
“New favorite in Little Italy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

We have been to many, many restaurants in Little Italy over the years and had tended to go back to the same places; but one evening we "stumbled upon" a fairly new entry in L. I., Da Gennaro. It is on Mulberry; and if you choose to sit outside (why would you go to Little Italy with all the other Italian restaurants in NYC if you aren't going to experience L.I.?!!!), you will, of course, be right in the midst of the throngs of people strolling by - but, HEY, that's one of the reasons for going down there, right??!!! The people watching is great! You see everything and every kind of "person"!!

But, to the restaurant - the food is outstanding and at prices which seem slightly less than all of the other Mulberry Street/L.I. regulars. The wine list is fairly extensive but has a number of bottles in the "cheap" range!

The owner is very friendly, and his wait staff are attentive and polite.
Give this place a try and enjoy not only some really good food but some "street theater" as well!!

3 Thank Rupes

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston
“Good Food, Good Price, alright ambiance..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

My husband and I visited Da Gennaro on Sunday, August 31st 2008 during out labor day weekend vacation. Little Italy is wonderful, you literally feel like you step back in time with the bustling street, crowds of people, and great smells from the restaurants. We chose Da Gennaro because it was the only restaurant the had a line around the front of the restaurant and the prices on the menu were affordable. Well, when we sat down outside, we realized that the tables were actually rather shakey and TINY. During the mean, about every ten minutes you would hear a glass shatter wen it fell off the table. I chose one of the chef specialties off the back of the menu, It was Veal Bartello (or something similar to that-veal rolled w/ cheese, proscuitto, spinach in a mushroom sauce). It was delish, HUGE portion though. My husband ordered the standard rigatoni and had some sausage in it. His was good, but the sauce tasted a bit too sweet for my liking. Over all it was a good mean, I wouldn' say excellent, only because I spent the night trying to balance all the dishes, glasses, and wine bottle on the table without it toppling over.

2 Thank mandicait7
The Woodlands, Texas
“One of our best memories in NYC - Da Gennaro Restaurant in Little Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our sidewalk lunch at Da Gennaro Restaurant in Little Italy. We had a cozy (rather cramped by many standards) table near the street. We ordered lasagna and chicken parmigiana, which was served with a small salad and side of pasta. The olive oil mixture served with the bread before our meal was very tasty and the best I’ve ever had. The salad was served a zesty balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The food was piping hot, and although a picture is attached, it doesn’t do the experience of being there justice. The chicken parmigiana was simply superb. I was glad my wife didn’t finish her lasagna, it was really good too. We didn’t order dessert, but the two offerings at a nearby table were certainly eye appealing.

The service was not bad but just ordinary. The ambiance allowed ample people watching although it was not distracting at all. We were offered an inside table but chose to sit outside.

My only complaint was getting charged for a second glass of tea versus just a refill.

The restaurant was just across the street from Café Napoli on Mulberry near its intersection with Hester. See http://www.littleitalynyc.com/restaurants.asp for a map of little italy.

4 Thank k9docntx