“Great experience - worth the drinks prices!”
Review of Bemelmans Bar

Bemelmans Bar
Ranked #57 of 14,524 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having found this bar as one of the experiences to have on the upper-east side we went after the opera for a pre-dinner drink. I had ginger-ale while my partner had a cocktail. The table snacks were delicious (and the constant top-ups very considerate.) We were seated close to the piano - so while loud - this did not detract from the ambiance. I would return to cosy up in a leather corner, sip a cocktail, and let the excellent piano work it's magic in this eclectic establishment. Definitely worth the visit.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Really the only reason to visit this old-time lounge is to have a look at the murals by Ludwig Bemelman, creator of the Madeleine book series; although they are hard to see as the lighting is so low.
The drink prices are just ridiculous. $24 for a glass of vin ordinaire, $10 for a glass of Budweiser and $19 for a Manhattan (and I had to remind the bartender to add the bitters)! I even got a disdainful snort from the barkeep for giving a $10 tip for serving four simple drinks at the bar...sheesh.

2  Thank E F
Reviewed April 20, 2013

a wonderful east side oasis....been going since early 70's.....Tommy, the legendary bartender, has just retired, but new staff is up to the task......always superb piano in late afternoon

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was on the UES to visit my friends and their new baby and had time to kill. I love The Carlyle as it feels like NYC of yesteryear in its elegance sans pretension. Bemelman's is a real place. There are neighborhhood people as well as hotel guests and while fancy no one puts on airs. I sat at the bar which was pretty crowded. I have ordered many things from the bar menu (shrimp cocktail, club sandwich) in prior visits but this time I settled for a glass of Chablis ($20) and the copious bar snacks - a trio of mixed buts, house made potato chips, and cheese sticks. I chatted with a nice older man who said he always has a drink at Bemelman's when he is in town for a show. I myself usually go there after a show at The Whitney.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Loved how cozy and comfortable it was. We only sat at the bar for a couple drinks. Though there were several businessmen at the bar, there were other friendly patrons. The staff was helpful and attentive and made excellent drinks. The music was wonderful. We were early before the later entertainment started, but the piano player was wonderful for us as we were off to a dinner reservation.