“Great Value, met expectations”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #292 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great Value, met expectations”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a one night stay ( Jan. 3) at this hotel and overall, it met our expectations. Yes, there are two slow elevators and the rooms are small- but I have stayed in other hotels in NYC and unless you are going to a much higher- end type of place,that is pretty much the norm.
The location is great- we arrived after the big snowstorm on a freezing cold day, and with two little kids we managed to walk everywhere because of the location. The rooms were clean and the staff was great. We paid for the parking package and it was worth it. The valet was quick and easy and the people behind the desk at check in were friendly and competent. It was also nice being able to park our car and stow our bags before check in time to make the most of our short time in the city.
Will look to come back here during warmer weather!

Stayed January 2014
3 Thank KAS2880
Warren H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Kas2880,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share some of your thoughts about your stay with us. If you are ever back in the area we look forward to serving you again in the future!

Yours in Hospitality,

Team Holiday Inn Express Time Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
norwich
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This hotel has a great location just a 10 minute walk to the centre of Times Square, great for taking a boat trip around manhattan, close to the subway and a very good nights sleep.

Location - based where it is you are really close to the port authority subway station which is excellent for getting down to ground zero or south ferry port. 42nd street subway and 35th street subway are all in very easy walking distance as well. You are also only a 10 minute walk, through busy bustling areas even at night to Times Square and the busy nightlife and shopping that brings. There are plenty of shops locally to stock up on any little bits you need and restaurants start within 2 or 3 minute walks. It is a high taxi thoroughfare road so easy to get a taxi as well. The location is perfect as any able bodied person can walk to 5th avenue, Rockefeller centre, Empire State Building and broadway within 20/30 minutes. In 40 minutes you can get to Central Park. The concierge at the hotel are great at offering directions and if you have a smartphone I would recommend downloading city mapper to navigate your way around.

Facilities - the internet in the hotel was excellent for such a large building and great that it is free too! There is also 2 computers downstairs you can use, there was a printer as well but I couldn't seem to get this to work so don't rely on it. Water is available all day from downstairs and coffee seemed to be as well. ) if you wanted to do laundry or use the fitness centre the candle wood suites and Hampton inn next door allowed you in by presenting your key card at reception. If you sign up to ihg rewards (free online) you can have late (2pm) checkout. Like everyone else there is a problem with the amount of lifts compared to the amount of rooms - sometimes the wait was upto 5 minutes to get out!

Breakfast - for me breakfast was a real disappointment, I can't complain as the room was only $2 a night more than next door (which does not provide free breakfast). However selection was limited and reminded me of airplane food for some reason. Everything was pre cooked and left in warmers and came on paper plates with plastic cutlery. The juice also came in a small plastic cup. Pancakes were made by a 1minute pancake machine and toppings came in sachets. For the price I can't complain but I really just came down for a muffin each morning. I suggest maybe staying in the candle wood next door as although you don't get breakfast you do get facilities to make your own or store something in the fridge.

Room - I did not pay extra for the city view, the room was quiet from road noise (13th floor), however I can see the cost may have been worth it as the view from the room was not great. The bed was the comfiest bed I have ever slept on and I imagine are fairly new, visiting in January with snow meant it was very cold and the sheets are really thing with the absence of a duvet. The 2 sets of pillows (firm and soft) were a welcome addition. The bathroom was great with lovely hot water and lots of pressure. The rooms generally could do with a bit of an update - furniture, carpet and wallpaper are a bit dingy which makes the room feel a little depressing. Also the windows do not offer curtains which draw which is very strange, and instead of a blue net type curtain which didn't block any light so meant you could t sleep in and I'm also not sure blocked the view from the buildings opposite which meant getting changed in the bathroom. The other thing is the air con/heating system. I could not understand now this worked, it seemed it didn't matter what temperature you set it at it just carried on going until you turned it off, also it is an air blower rather than built in so makes the room the correct temperature until it goes off. Because it is placed right under the window it meant the bathroom was always freezing. Due to the fan nature of the heater it was too loud to leave on all night and as it didn't operate on a thermostat it was very cold in the mornings. The sheets on the first night also still has remnants of the previous person who slept on thems make up on the pillow.

Overall for the price I paid $270 for 4 nights Wednesday-Sunday this was good value and provided me with everything I wanted. Central location, quiet comfy bed and somewhere to wash. Overall very impressed.

Room Tip: 1306 is a nice room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank VictoriaSnedker
Warren H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear VictoriaSnedker,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in trip advisor. We appreciate everyone’s feedback as it allows us the opportunity to evaluate our hotel in the eyes of our guests. I am happy to hear that the location of our hotel met your expectations and that you would take advantage of our hotel again. However, I sincerely apologize for the shortfalls you encountered during your stay. The issue you experienced will be discussed and reviewed with our Executive committee. Once again, I thank you and look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express Time Square.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed in December 2013 one evening with my family. We wanted a budget option since we had dinner plans the night of our stay and breakfast plans the following morning in mid-town. Our family simply used this hotel to sleep and shower; our entire stay totaled 11 hours.
Our room had 2 beds and it was very cramped; one bed was a couple of inches away from the window. However, the room was clean.
Check-in and check-out was fast and the staff was friendly. I utilized the business center for 10 minutes to look up some places we were visiting during the day.
The elevators are extremely slow so we ended up catching the elevator up and riding it down (stopping at nearly every other floor).
We did observe a person attempting to wait for the lobby bathroom who was not a guest. The staff politely asked him his name and he became agitated all the while refusing to provide his name or room number. The staff calmly but firmly asked him to leave the property, which he eventually did after a minute or two of protest.
I would return here if I needed an inexpensive place to sleep.

Room Tip: You may want to re-evaluate a higher floor since there are only 2 elevators for the entire hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pame1a,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from The Holiday Inn Express Time Square on Trip Advisor, I am sure other travelers will appreciate it as well. I am pleased to know that the location of the hotel and the service you received from our colleagues met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Amsterdam
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights during the 2014 NRF. The hotel is within 5 min walking distance from the Javits center. Rooms are small, but clean. The place would not mind a but of updating. Key issue is the elevators. Only 2 for 30 some floors. The reception staff is very friendly and helpfull. They have a list with recommended restaurants which were good. If you need a good meal cross the street and go to Mercato. Great little hidden Italian eatery.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tijnovth
Dear Tijnovth,

Thank you for your valuable review. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay at Holiday Inn Time Square. We are pleased that you were impressed with our rooms, professionalism, courtesy, friendly and helpful colleagues. I agree with Mercato being one of your choices for a good meal as it is a small hidden gem in the area. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Although the rooms are small, the location is excellent (45th and 5th), the hotel is clean and breakfast is free. Ask for a higher floor and you will not know your are in the centre of the city that never sleeps - very quiet. Great value - for the price, you cannot get closer to Times Square.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CanadianInTheWorld
Dear CanadianInTheWorld,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that the location of the hotel and service of our staff exceeded your expectations. Our staff loves to hear guest feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Constantia, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked this for a weekend with my mom. We enjoyed our stay! I asked for early check-in and we got there earlier than that and our room was ready to go. It had everything we needed and was well heated. Our walls were insulated, but the door let in hallway noise even when closed. The shower didn't drain well, but the water was hot an had good pressure. My mom loved the coffee. I was very appreciative of the doorman who hailed a cab whenever we needed one. It was within walking distance to Times Square, Macy's, and the Empire State Building. I would recommend this to any budget-conscious traveler.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sarahe5682
Dear Sarahe5682,

I want to thank you for writing such a charming review of our staff and our property. We take great pride in what we do here and it's great to see that you had such a lovely time staying with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed here a few years ago and had a great experience. Anything in Manhattan is close to everything, but I felt that this location gave this first-time New Yorker a good chance to explore the city in a friendly neck of the woods. It was vintage New York with small rooms and somewhat cramped quarters, but hey, that's just how things are there. Overall a good experience and a very friendly staff that helped point out a few spots to visit on my very brief business trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Warren H, Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Holiday Inn Express Time Square. I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Please come visit us again if you travel to New York City.