“Great stop for a city break” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #261 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Great stop for a city break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Good hotel for New York City break. Rooms high standard, though compact compared to most US hotel rooms, I've had smaller ones though, so I thought it was good for NY. coffee maker, flat screen tv, good hair dryer in bathroom. Good blackout blinds and fairly quiet high up (we were on 27th floor) so we got a good nights sleep every night - we didn't leave ac on though as bit noisey, but the room didnt get hot despite 25c overnight heat. Great view from rooms and exactly what was promised on booking - view of Empire State and freedom tower in distance plus Hudson River.

Lobby spacious with free lemonade when you got back from day out, much needed as it was super hot. Staff friendly and helpful. Good free breakfasts, more on offer then I've had at other NY hotels, though it got busy. we only gave it a miss on one of the days as couldn't find seat so decided to eat out instead (we could have taken it up to our room as they provided trays).

Great location, 5mins to subway at PA bus terminal and 7mins to Times Square. Always felt safe returning to hotel late at night. Walked to/from penn station for trains to airport in about 15mins with big cases so no need for taxis.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear kaffeee,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experienced with us! We hope you had a great time here in NYC and thank you for choosing us for your accommodation needs. If this was your first time staying with us, we hope you were encouraged to return. It would be a pleasure to have you as our guest again and hope to see you soon. Thanks again for staying with us and we wish you the absolute best in your travels!

Team Holiday Inn Express Times Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Williamsport, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is clean and the service is fantastic. Most tourists come to New York to see Times Square, and other main attractions. This hotel is in a good location for the subway and for Times Square. Unfortunately, this is not the cleanest area of Manhattan, but it works well for attractions.

As a little side tip: If you don't want to eat the bleak continental breakfast, walk along 39th or 8th in the morning and you can find vendors selling bagels and coffee for a $1.25, which might be the best deal in Manhattan. You can also find people selling breakfast gorditas that are quite delicious.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Tinyj1411,

Thanks so much for the great review of our hotel! We really appreciate you choosing our location for your accommodation needs and hope you had a fantastic time here in New York. We would love to be your hotel of choice for future visits to NYC and look forward to your return. Thanks again for staying with us and we wish you safe travels!

Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a good hotel with great value for money. The location of this hotel is unbeatable. It's just off Times Square, a block away from the New York Times Building. The rooms sizes are very small but okay for Times Square. The breakfast is limited but lots of shops outside to grab a bite. Bit of a shady street to go at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, if there is one.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Rishab231,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your accommodation needs. We truly appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. We’re happy to see you felt you received a good value and that you enjoyed our location. We would love to have you stay with us again and look forward to your return. Safe travels!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I like the location, it's very near the tourist spots in NY like the broadway district,restaurant row, times square etc...room is too small but clean, elevators were too slow maybe because of the 30+ floor bldg accommodating lots of guests... breakfast is okay, staff were very helpful and friendly... overall i enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jillacious
Dear Jillacious,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. It’s great to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location convenient for your activities. We hope to be your hotel of choice for future visits to New York and look forward to your return. Thanks again for being our guest and we wish you the best in your travels!

Teaneck, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here on a 1 night stay over Memorial Day weekend. We got the room free due to IHG's best price guarantee, although we did have to pay for it upfront and are going to be reimbursed by IHG Corporate, since they hotel was not complying with IHG's best rate guarantee. While that did put a sour taste in our mouth's to start, the hotel did seem accommodating. I emailed them in advance to let them know we were celebrating my birthday, and they did leave a small package of 2 free waters, some chocolate, and a birthday balloon on the bed, which was really nice. The room had great views of the Hudson, Freedom Tower, and the Empire State Building. The location was decent, on 39th between 8th and 9th, so pretty close to Times Square. They have free breakfast in the morning, which while crowded, was nice to have. The beds in the room were comfortable, and the air conditioning in the room goes down to 65, which was great for us since we like it cold. The staff was really nice, asking how our day was, and always seemed cheerful. Now, for the couple issues we had with the hotel/room:

1) They assigned us to a room on the 31st floor. However, when we unlocked the door and went in, there was luggage and people's items in the room. I can only imagine what would have happened if the people had actually been there. We went downstairs and were given a new room on the 36th floor, but I can't believe a mistake like this could actually happen at a hotel.
2) The room was tiny, probably the tiniest I have ever stayed in. I know it's New York City and this may be standard, but it still seemed so small.
3) The chair in the room was heavily beat up, and ripped in a bunch of places.
4) There are only 2 elevators for 36 floors and over 200 rooms, which is way too little. The first time we went up, it took at least 10 minutes till we got the elevator and got to the room.

All in all the stay was ok, and free is free, but there is definitely room for improvement in the building.

Room Tip: Get a high floor for better views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear yoshapman,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay. We appreciate you choosing our location for your accommodation needs. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and appreciate your patience and understanding. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future and wish you the best in your travels!

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights and the location is very convenient for us. It was not in the middle of times square with all the lights and people but is still quite accessible to it. It was only a couple of blocks to Times square (42nd) and the Port Authority where you can take the subway. Breakfast was sufficient although there are peak times that you should avoid or you d have to bring your food back to your room to eat. The location of the elevator is a little inconvenient in that it was a little hallway in between the breakfast area and the lobby, plus the stairs for maintenance and staff so there is a lot of traffic on certain times. The rooms are small for north american standard , even with a king size bed but we had nice view of the city and the empire state building (36th floor). Staff were friendly and helpful. Overall it was a good stay and if the price is a little more budget friendly, we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hapitripper,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience! We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and that our location was convenient for your activities. We would definitely love to have you stay with us again and hope to be your hotel of choice for future travels to New York. Thanks again for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Times Square and we wish you safe travels!

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Usually with a Holiday Inn Express you get what you expect, which is a clean room and friendly service but obviously not a luxury product. I would have rated this particular hotel much higher for the service and location if not for a really disgusting cleanliness problem that made it impossible to take a shower and marred my trip.

Pros

Checked in around 5pm. No wait. Greeted us at the desk and asked if I would like to have a late checkout at 2pm for being a platinum priority club member without prompting. Gave us a little baggie with 2 Poland Springs, an oatmeal raisin granola bar, and a little bag of Goldfish pretzels. There was a sheet of paper provided the free breakfast hours and heavy use time, free wifi password and helpful hints like don’t be gouged using their hotel phone, use your cell phone or something, which I appreciated. Allowed me the option to use multiple cards to pay for the room when asked. Rainy day so the free hot chocolate in the lobby was welcome. It shows that the general staff are very thoughtful because I read in a previous review that they offered lemonade – probably when the weather was better. When I forgot my shower cap and toothpaste, they provided some for my needs. However, I ended up not needing the shower cap. See, Cons below.

The double room was small but the important parts seemed clean and met our needs. Because the room was small, the heater worked fast even if it had a sour musty smell in the beginning, and went up to something like 80 degrees.

Breakfast was crowded but plentiful and imo all those people were willing to wait to get their share of the food for a reason even if they did run out of bacon by the time I got there. Added props that the cream cheese was refrigerated but disappointed that it was a pancake machine instead of a waffle machine. When they ran out of oranges, at almost breakfast closing line, I asked a staff member if there were any left and he brought me some.

Location without a doubt very good. Convenience to subway. We made good use of the 8th and 42nd station that was a block away. Easy walk to Times Square, Rockerfeller Center, 5th Ave, etc even in the rain. The area is busy and we thought it was safe to walk from Times Square even at night.

The view from our room was small but amazing. I managed to take a photo of the Statue of Liberty and we could see the Empire State Building as well.

I am sure this is because of the hour, but checkout at 1pm was also extremely fast and efficient.

Cons

The elevators are slow during peak hours, which is a no brainer because tall hotel + only two elevators to fit travelers and their luggage when everyone wants to get on and off = long wait.

We were on one of the 4 floors with an ice machine. Thought it was convenient at first because there are only two elevators for the entire hotel, but it seemed like a lot of people coming back at all hours used the ice machine as well and it was LOUD. Other reviewers were right. The acoustics were such that you can hear every noise from other rooms like the people were right next to you. Surprising that I could also hear the trash trucks below despite the height of our room. For me, this is not a problem because I am a heavy sleeper and I was tired but I don’t know how a light sleeper could do it.

Sloppy maintenance/housekeeping in our room. First, the small things, the tissue provided was scratchier on my nose than the toilet paper provided, and that’s saying something. The coverlet over my bed was placed sideways so my feet hung out the blanket until I realized it and turned it over and I am on the short side. The musty, almost stale urine like smell from the heater. Only one pen was provided that I could find and when it stopped working in the middle of writing something, that was annoying. The TV turned on to FOX News every time. The tea bags next to the coffee maker looked like it hadn’t been changed since the hotel opened. I was going to drink some but noticed that they were so old the outside paper on one of them had already come apart. Tea bags are provided down in the breakfast area all day but it was just the idea… You’re welcome, next guest, I got rid of those for you.

A much more serious problem however was the bathtub drain in our room. I ask for very little in a hotel room, but cleanliness and the availability of a hot shower without problem is a requirement. We got back from a show after a very long day at around 11pm. I let my dad take a shower first. He told me to wait awhile to take mine because the drain was clogged and because the bathtub is smaller than average, the water was about calf deep when he was done. I admit, I’m very finicky when it comes to cleanliness and I don’t like the idea of steeping in who knows what clogged that drain while I showered. So I waited and did not notice any perceptible change in water drainage. I was also exhausted from waking up at 5am that morning and decided to just wash my feet using the bath setting over the tub and take a shower in the morning. The next morning…the water in the tub did not move an inch. I suspect that the water evaporated faster than it went down that drain. We were leaving that day, and I did not want to waste precious vacation time dealing with the maintenance guy, so I just told the woman at the front desk about the plumbing issue at checkout because it was incredible they did not fix the drain before it got THIS bad. She gave me 7000 priority club points for my problems, but since it was a very cold, wet two days in NYC, I would have preferred a hot shower. So, for other people reading this, I don’t recommend getting a room on an ice machine floor unless you’re a heavy sleeper like me and if you get room 3505 check to see if the drain in the bathtub works properly.

Room Tip: avoid the 4 floors with an ice machine unless you're a heavy sleeper
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your accommodation needs. After reading your review we feel the need to apologize for failing to meet your expectations during your stay. We are committed to offering the best service and value for our guests and failure to do so is simply unacceptable on our part. We hope to have the opportunity to make up for the negative experience and look forward to your return. We appreciate your understanding and wish you only the best.