“What a great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #291 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is in a great location and the rooms are larger than what you would usually get in New York. The hotel is close to Times Square, and the Port. The staff are friendly and there is a free laundry for guests to use.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up and you will get a great city scape view. Breakfast is very busy and the br...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear cutebear,

Thanks for stopping by to review our hotel! We truly appreciate you choosing our property over the countless others in NYC. We couldn't be more pleased with your feedback and are excited to see we were able to exceed your expectations. Please come back and see us next time you're in New York as we'd love to have you as our guest again. Thanks for staying with us and we wish you happy travels!

Team Holiday Inn Express Times Square

Write a ReviewReviews (2,198)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Hotel was clean ,old but clean!! Great breakfast ,and the best staff ever !! They could not do enough for you!!!
Anything we wanted was given right away!! They helped setting up tours and gave us maps for every place we wanted!!
We stayed on the 24th floor facing the front of hotel so view was good!!
Location was perfect for everything ,Times Squares ,shopping ,hooking up with buses for tours!!

Room Tip: Higher up better view!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cindy C

Dear Cindy C,

Thanks so much for the great review of our hotel! It was our sincere pleasure to serve you and we are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay. We would be honored to be your hotel of choice for future visits to New York and look forward to you return. We appreciate your kind feedback and wish you the best in your travels!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked this hotel off Priceline and was pleasantly surprised.

The location is quite convenient. The hotel is on West 39th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues. So, it is just a short walk from Times Square and the Port Authority bus terminal.

The lobby is small and can get crowded during peak check-in and check-out time. As others have noted, there are only 2 elevators for 30-some floors. Sometimes it can take some time to get up or down from your room.

The rooms are on the small size but about average for Manhattan. The bed was decent, but some of the other furniture were showing a bit of age (for example, the office chair seat was worn through). The bathroom seems to have been recently renovated, though, and was quite clean. The free wi-fi also worked without any problems.

On the service side, the staff were all very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank govt_traveler

Dear govt_traveler,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us! We are delighted to see we were able to exceed your expectations. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced as a result of our elevators or lobby, but we appreciate your patience and understanding. We truly hope to have you stay with us again and look forward to serving you. Thanks for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Times Square and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here the East weekend for 3 nights - found the location perfect! Room wasn't as small as I was expecting - from previous reviews, and we had 3 large cases & a wedding dress! Staff were very nice, really close to Times Sq, loved the Irish pub 8 buildings up or so - Tir Na Nóg - really nice staff - gave us champers when they heard we were getting married in a few days!
Didn't find the lifts a problem, other than at prime check-out time - really try to bring down your bags early, and then take the stairs down when you're checking out.
Went out for a cigarette a few times at odd hours, and there were a few characters around the place, but I wasn't overly concerned as the smoking area was right outside the entrance.
Good spot though, will come back here

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elepa

Dear Elepa,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to NYC! We really appreciate your kind feedback and hope you all had a great time during your visit. We would love to be your hotel of choice for future trips to New York and look forward to your return. Thanks again for staying with us and we wish you the best in your travels!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Apr 22 - 27, 2013. The hotel rooms are quite small but whatever the hotel lacks, the staff more than make up for. I've traveled quite a bit over the past 20 yrs and have stayed in many hotels, but i have never before encountered staff that were so friendly, professional, and helpful. The dining room staff went above and beyond and when my friend tried to tip them, they refused the tip! The front desk, cleaning and maintenance, dining room, bell hops...everyone! All the staff in this hotel are top notch. The Concierge, Rick, was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. This was my second trip to NYC and the last time we stayed at an upscale hotel near central park. I preferred Holiday Inn Express and will definitely stay there when I return to NYC. Great location as well!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tmtmac
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear tmtmac,

Thanks so much for the generous review of our hotel! We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay and time here in New York. We would be honored to have you stay with us again and look forward to your return. We truly appreciate you being our guest and wish you the absolute best in your travels. Thanks again!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Sure, the rooms are city-sized rooms but everything you need is there, except for a fridge which would have been extremely helpful but oh, well. One morning I had a knock on my door very early which had my heart pounding. I called security and they were there immediately (peephole watching). It is a very quiet room. I never heard anyone around me. The only thing I really detested was breakfast. First day I got there upon opening and got a seat. Second day I got there 15 minutes later and had to bring my food upstairs.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ilovepuntacana

Dear ilovepuntacana,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback about your stay! We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your accommodation needs and hope you had a great time here in NYC. We apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay but are grateful for your patience and understanding. We certainly hope to be your hotel of choice when visiting New York and look forward to your return. Thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

When I first checked in I was very nervous. The lobby was full of people, bags, and seeming chaos. It almost seemed like I had booked a hotel that had no idea how to deal with guests. Another nervous glance at 2 elevators for 30-ish floors of people added to my discomfort.

Thankfully, all of these first impressions turned out to be unfounded. The chaos in the lobby turned out to be most likely some large group that was checking in - this clump of hotels on 39th seemed to cater heavilly to traveling groups and tours - and once I was able to get into my room, my opinion changed.

The room was small ( i expected that) but very clean and mos of all, VERY VERY QUIET. Here is something you should know about 39th st between 8th and 9th. Taxis avoid it because the entrance to the Lincoln tunnel is nearby, which means a lot of normal traffic is coming down 39th looking to enter the tunnel. As a result, HONKING was almost non-existant. I have never stayed in NYC and experienced a quieter night's sleep.

THe beds were very comfortable. And the elevators were fast - so that concern was eradicated - I never waited more than a minute or so for an elevator, and that was at peak times.

THe staff was very friendly. Front desk was always quick and helpful.

And always important for me and hotel stays - not a bug in sight. Not an ant, fly, gnat or bedbug. As I said, clean, well appointed, and comfortable.

If there was one small criticism, it's that housekeeping was not really on the ball at all. They failed to replace the coffee that I used on the first day or provide new cups...it seemed like they made the beds and replaced the towels but didn't really check much else. This is important for me because the first thing I do every day is brew a pot of coffee and I dont want to have to keep calling down to the front desk to get refills.

Otherwise, great stay, and I WILL book this hotel again. This will be my go-to in NYC

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear mcpilot,

Thank you so much for the very generous review of our hotel! We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay and that we were able put your initial hesitations to rest! We apologize for the inconveniences with your housekeeping service but appreciate your understanding and you bringing it to our attention. We would be honored to be your hotel of choice for future visits to New York and look forward to earning a "5 out of 5" during your next stay. Thanks again for being our guest and we wish you the best in your travels!