“What a great Hotel! Can't believe we nearly missed it!”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #293 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am so annoyed it has taken me so long to get round to writing this. I visited 1-6 Dec 2012.
I have to admit that I can usually find fault with most things but not this Hotel.
We were too early for check in - but we got to leave our bags, use the toilet etc and then went straight out to explore. We had rooms 3104 and 3106. As it was a trip for my parents joint 50th Birthdays I had been pestering the hotel with emails to make sure that our trip was perfect. We got rooms on the same floor with only one room between us, we both had an amazing view of the Empire State Building. In my parents room there was a little card and some chocolates for their birthday. The rooms were big enough, larger than I expected, clean and well equipped. Breakfast was great, we tended to go around the same time each morning between about 7.45 and 8.00. It varied in busyness but we always got a table. Plenty of choice and enough to fill you up for the day ahead(every other hotel I looked at didn't include breakfast). The breakfast staff were always very polite and helpful.
Location was just right for us, just a short walk from Times Square, Hell's Kitchen flea market at the end of the street and then just another 5-10 minute walk in that direction to the pier for boat tours and the Intrepid Museum. We were very sorry to leave this hotel (again we got to leave our luggage after check-out so we could still enjoy our last day).
This hotel was in fact not on either of my first 2 shortlists of hotels - but prices proved more expensive than I had thought when I went to book so you could say this was sort of a last resort hotel - but my god I'm glad it was. I will hopefully be back in New York one day and I will definitely be staying at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. Thank you to all the staff - what a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynsey M
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community. We really enjoyed reading your review and are thrilled that you had such nice things to say about us! We hope you all had a fantastic and memorable time here in NYC and were encouraged to visit again soon. We would absolutely love to have you as our guest again and look forward to your return. Until then, we wish you the absolute best in your travels. We’re glad you found us! Thanks again!

Team Holiday Inn Express Times Square

Write a ReviewReviews (2,196)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express is small, seemingly clean, safe and a great location near Javits convention center. The breakfast in the morning was plentiful and had a lot more variety than I expected. I really enjoyed having all I could drink orange juice and the cheese omelets can’t be beat. The entire staff was very friendly, even the breakfast cook/dude was super nice and busted his booty in keeping the breakfast area in tip top shape. The only complaints I have about the hotel is that my shower smell very sour and mildew-like. Also, during certain times of the day, the lobby was extremely cluttered with people and luggage so getting through was hectic. Overall, the place is a good value since the breakfast is included and the walk to Times Square is only ten minutes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear kennen,

We’d like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to NYC! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we hope you had a memorable experience during your time here. It’s great to see you enjoyed our amenities and that our location was convenient for your activities. We apologize for the issues with your stay, but truly appreciate your understanding. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future. Thanks again for your review and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

There is nothing special about this hotel, but nothing to really complain about either.

It was rather cramped, but I guess this is to be expected in New York City. It was very clean though and was in a terrific location, a stone's throw from Time's Square and Broadway but far enough away for it to be not overly noisy and relatively safe. There were some good restaurants and cafes in the area too.

The staff were not rude but they weren't going out of their way to be friendly either.

Overall this was a good budget hotel but not especially memorable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Rosalie16,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We hope you had a great time here in NYC and that you were able to relax and be yourself upon your return each evening. We apologize for failing to exceed your expectations but appreciate your understanding. It is our goal to ensure complete satisfaction from all of our guests and we feel we let you down. We sincerely hope for another opportunity to serve you so we can prove that we will happily go above and beyond to guarantee your satisfaction. Until next time, we truly wish you the best in your travels. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Visited US for the first time and made the bookings online. When we arrived (2 of us) still after paying so much for a room, and even though we got the king room, the rooms at the hotel were soo soo small that it was too difficult to manage, with all the lugage we had with us. But surely a great location and safe!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your first visit to NYC and the US! We appreciate you sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. We hope you all had a memorable experience and were encouraged to return soon. We apologize that our room’s sizes did not meet your expectations but we appreciate your understanding and hope we were able to make up for that with excellent guest service and beneficial amenities. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for your next visit to New York. Thanks again for being our guest and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

typical room and lobby as with most Holiday Inns. Located near Times Square, so a bonus for the price. Front desk staff and concierge very courteous and helpful. Would def. stay again.................................

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear footdoc99,

Thanks so much for the kind review! We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your recent visit to NYC. It’s great to see that you found our location convenient for your activities and that our staff was able to make an impact on you during your stay. We truly hope to be your hotel of choice for future trips to New York. Thanks again for staying with us and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at the HI Xpress last March, and being a frequent NYC visitor, I loved it!

It was conveniently located, the breakfast was good, and the room more than adequate in size. Speaking of size, being 6'2, I had NO problems sleeping in the bed. Actually, it was easy to sleep, as compared with other NYC hotels, the street noise was minimal.

I'll be back in 2 months and have already booked my reservation. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Try the Mexican restaurant across the street...it's run by a Chinese family!!! Only in NYC...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Gvis2020traveler
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for sharing your kind feedback with other travelers! We are honored to be your hotel of choice when in NYC and look to perpetuate your loyalty by continuing to offer great service and value. We’re excited to have you as our guest again and look forward to your return. Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do to make your upcoming stay more enjoyable. Thanks again for your loyalty and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I recently booked a trip with air and lodging for $780 which included four nights stay here at the Holiday Inn Express - Times Square. New York is very, very expensive and therefore I thought that this was a good bargain especially since it was 'in' Times Square.
We arrived quite early (about 10am) but they actually let us check in which was super nice! (I'm not even sure I've ever checked in at any hotel ever in my life so early! I'm sure it being a Wednesday helped but it was still unexpected!). The staff was friendly. The (safe-less) room was clean but expectedly small. Really small. There's not much room in there to do anything except to sleep but then again you should only be in your room to sleep on vacation. There is free wifi but it works spottily. The morning breakfast bar is the best non-restaurant breakfast I've had at a hotel - there were real egg patties, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast, pancake machine, cinnamon things, etc.
Another nice touch is that they had cookies and an urn of hot chocolate out in the lobby in the evening which was refreshing since it was chilly out and there is no cafe in the immediate area. Also note that you are in the Times Square district but you still have to walk about 4-5 blocks to see the area where the New Year's Eve's ball drops (what I considered Times Square).
The only cons I can think of is waiting for that darn elevator and the wifi not being all that good, but these would not deter me from staying there again ourselves or to recommending this hotel to others!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a longer wait for the elevator...you could always take the stairs if you're c...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julder

Dear Julder,

Thank you both very much for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to NYC! We are excited to see that you two enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our location and amenities. Our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced with our elevators or internet service, but we truly appreciate your understanding. That aside, we really do hope to be your hotel of choice for future trips to New York. Thanks for staying and reviewing and we wish you both the best in your travels!