“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #279 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Collierville, Tennessee
“Excellent stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

My friend and I switched to this hotel a day before we left for NYC because we got such a good deal - some nights for $199 and some for $239. Such a great price for the location I worried that there would be issues. We had none! We checked in a little early and accepted a room on the 7th floor. I figured that if it were too loud we could move. Neither noise nor lights were a problem. I heard a lot of street noise - even late :) - but still went to sleep easily because we had done so much during the day!

The location is great! Near Times Square but not directly on it. We avoided a lot of noise and traffic this way. I would suggest walking up and down 9th Ave instead of 8th. There is a bus terminal between 41 and 42 on 8th which brings in a ton of people. 9th Ave has more of a neighborhood feel. I felt more comfortable with two women walking by themselves on 9th. We took subways and walked without any problems or worries about safety.

The room was small but it is New York. We had two double beds for two people and there was plenty of room for bags and stuff. Not big empty spaces for doing yoga, etc but I didn't expect there to be! The bathroom doesn't have much counter space so I just brought my toiletries in each day. I thought the shower curtain had a mildewy/sour smell but my friend did not notice it. The room was always cleaned and we had plenty of towels. The bed was very comfortable but I was very tired! We walked a lot . . . . . a whole lot!

The breakfast is good but not extravagant. It is usually crowded. We shared a table with some interesting people! Didn't have to wait on elevators much - only once. There are 32 floors with 6 rooms on each floor. Very compact. We accepted the 7th floor room in part because it's not that many flights if we had to take the stairs.

We decided to take their shuttle to the airport. This was a bit misleading. It is not the hotel's shuttle but a service they use. The concierge did not tell us - if she knew, that the driver was also picking up two other riders - the last one was an hour after our time. This left us concerned about making our flight. We didn't have any problems making the plane but we just felt we weren't given all the information.

We would stay here again! Very good value!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

older hotel, small, but not closet type rooms, some room updates....

Not the nicest area in town, but not far from time square and 9th street around the corner has a good selection of food.

Room Tip: High up!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kingston, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Staff very nice and helpful. Friendly! Room was standard NYC small but very well appointed. Comfortable bed with new linens, good pillows and great mattress after a long day of walking. Everything seemed very well thought out. It was modern without overdoing it. Nice toiletries, good towels, etc. Colors of the room were inviting, warm and clean. I'm a health eater so I passed on the breakfast but it was a more than your standard bagels, fruit and cereal so for those who partook, i'm sure they enjoyed it. Free coffee all day. This was exactly what I was looking for and I'm glad to have found it. Per night was about $335 with all charges.

Note: the neighborhood is on the edge of Hell's Kitchen (Clinton) and while that area isn't as bad as it once was, there is still an element present. There are three hotels on the block so, there are more tourists than in the past but still, I wouldn't walk to/from the hotel with kids or if I were a woman alone. they do have a doorman to hail a cab.

Room Tip: I booked the cheapest room they had available, which was a handicap accessible room. When I checked...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank vokar
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed here for the weekend for the comic con and the place was packed. The room was clean, beds comfortable with reliable wifi service. Service was excellent all throughout. They guided me VERY well on where to go and told me the best place to eat when they found out I was alone. Breakfast was basic but fulfilling. Everything suited my needs perfectly EXCEPT for the noise! It seemed to penetrate everywhere! Location great because it's near times square and near West 46th and 9th avenue where the restaurant row is. It was also a very close walk to the Javits Convention Center where the event I was attending was located.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank shelob
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

The Holiday Inn Times Square provided us with great and efficient service. Alex, who checked us in at the front desk was a delight and it was so nice to be greeted so well upon arrival. He also took care of a couple of requests we had quickly. Thank you to all of the staff at the hotel for making our stay enjoyable. We appreciate the excellent service that was provided!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

My partner and a group of friends stayed here in three different rooms in September 2011. Our room was a good size, considering we were only there to sleep and shower etc.

The breakfast is all processed food, but definitely filled us up for the day ahead. On the first morning we got there at 6.30 and there was no problem with finding a table. The other mornings we were there between 8.30 & 9.30 and we had to wait for a table. There were people milling around everywhere although as another person mentioned we could have always loaded up a plate and gone back to our room.

The rooms were cleaned daily and the housekeeping and other staff we experienced were polite and helpful.

On our third night the water in the room was barely warm and this was the same the next morning. We spoke to reception about it and they sent maintenance up to our room to check it out. When we checked with them when we got back from our day out, they said it had all been fixed.

There are only two elevators services 36 floors so around busy times be prepared for a bit of a wait and to get up close and personal with your fellow guests!

One thing you must do while in NYC is go to the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park! The food and the location are perfect. We had our best meal in NYC there!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

LIsten, I travel a lot! I've stayed at $30 hotels, I've stayed at $500 a night hotels, this was the worst hotel I've stayed at for the price I paid ($230+).

Charlene, the receptionist was horribly rude. Twice my room card did not work and twice when I went down to correct this she gave me an attitude. I guarantee you she was not trained in the hospitality business. It appears to me many of their staff were picked off the street, with no experience in the hotel business. Twice the housekeeper bothered to take her tips I left her but forgot to leave me shampoos. When I called the front desk twice to get some shampoo, it took them an hour and 2 phone calls to get what they missed.

Terrible service. BUSINESS TRAVELERS: Stay away from this place,seriously worst place ever!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business