“Great Place to Eat”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This being our first time in New York and its Chinatown, we had wanted to experience Dim-Sum 'New York Style'. We came across this restaurant on the suggestion of an affable patrol police man after we and our two children had walked for hours undecided on a restaurant. We arrived half an hour too late for dim-sum (it ends at 3:30), but was told by the congenial manager they would nevertheless serve us from the dinner menu even though they were about to close for break. The premise is large, airy and clean (hence the grade of "A" inspection as posted at the window). We ordered duck, Fry-rice, General Tao Chicken from the main menu, and because we missed dim-sum, its menu was offered to us as well. From that we selected shrimp dumplings and egg rolls. The foods all arrived piping-hot and were excellent. The orders from the main menu were so generously portioned that we had left-overs to bring back to the hotel. Good eats, inexpensive, a welcoming staff. The restaurant was in all a great choice.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The place is very Chinese, as may be expected in the midst of Chinatown. The charme of only one waitress able to speak a form of English only contributed to the feeling of being among Chinese. Which was by the way literally true, as there was a Chinese wedding dinner going on and the other tables being filled with Chinese looking people too. Tea is included; food is very good (too much choice maybe). Ideally go here with more than the two of us, as you can then order multiple different dishes. Portion sizes allow eating with more than 3 people of 2 dishes. No alcohol being served, but bring your own is allowed.

1  Thank Dirkjan S
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a large group of around 12 people with mostly teenagers. We actually found the place through the Chinatown info booth on Canal St. We were a bit leery as this in on the north side of Canal. However, when we peeked in, it was all Chinese people which is always a good sign. When we walked in, the manager came over and took care of us. He was very friendly and accommodating especially for such a large group. The servers who came by were also very friendly. I guess it helped that I spoke enough Chinese to get by.

The dim sum is pretty standard and the quality was good. It was a great introduction for the teens we had brought and they all loved it. We would definitely go back because of the service.

This main thing is the friendly service unlike the typical rude service you get in the Chinatown restaurants.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Visiting with children and sister to introduce Dim Sum to her. Real authentic atmosphere with only us being non-Chinese. Nobody spoke were much English, which only added to the charm.

But there were only two carts going around the room, and thereby not very much to choose from. One of the carts was not really Dim Sum, but rather soups and curry meatballs. The few that we did have was good though. I guess our wole timing were just wrong, because although the place was packed when we came, 1.30 pm, it thinned out. We had a problem getting the carts to go by our table and had to stand up to attract attension. It would have been nice to know before we sat Down, that there was not much Dim Sum to have.

Generally service was a bit on the rude side, and we didn't really feel welcome. I will be a long time befor I can persuade my sister to try Dim Sum again.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I came here on a weekday for dimsum and my first impression of the place was quite positive - all the decor/the set-up/style etc. (the push carts and all) were all quite authentic - all the wait staff were able to speak Cantonese, so on and so forth.

With all that said, I felt that while half the food we ordered was great, half of it was only mediocre (i.e. I've had better). The chau siu bau were top notch, whereas the chaung fen and dan tat (sorry about the poor Anglicizations) were quite mediocre... the wu gauk (taro dumplings) were also somewhat disappointing.

Overall, I'd say if you come here, you won't be disappointed overall, but it is also certainly a far cry from the best dimsum I've ever had (I am Cantonese-chinese and eat Dimsum a lot though so... maybe I'm very picky)

1  Thank David C