“Great place for a couple nights in the Big City”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marrakech Hotel

Marrakech Hotel
Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
ny
“Great place for a couple nights in the Big City”
Reviewed February 12, 2009

When I booked the reservation I was expecting a typical small crappy hotel room, with cockroaches. But when I got there I was very satisfied and pleased not only with the hotel but the staff and the service. The staff was very helpful with any questions I had, and pointed me in the right direction with sites to see. They also upgraded my room when my TV went out, and I didnt even ask for anything. They were very generous. The rooms were very Ny style, but very clean and nice. The other thing about the hotel was that it seemed very exotic, and I felt I was at a day spa. It was very relaxing. Also it is in a nicer part of the neighborhood, being in the midtown of ny. And if I go to NY again I would deffinately stay there again.
Thank You Marrakech Hotel for a great weekend

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I was quite nervous about booking this hotel as some of the reviews on this site were greatly against it. That being said, I booked three rooms between January 23-25 and overall we enjoyed a really nice stay. The staff, upon check-in and check-out as well as throughout the duration of the stay, was helpful and courteous. The three rooms did not look exactly like the pictures but all were comfortable and clean. The stairs throughout the hotel (especially those on the way up to the lobby) are definitely treacherous but worth it. We got a great deal on the website with some winter specials. The location is about 12 short blocks from the Columbia University campus and just outside is a Starbucks and subway station -- definitely convenient. Some minor complaints: the room was heated beyond belief and the window would not open, so we were forced to run the A/C; the wi-fi only works in the lobby, and although somewhat comfortable, was not as private as the room.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Internet, temperature
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed January 12, 2009

My significant other and I stayed at the Marrakech a year ago for a short weekend vacation in the city. Our experience wasn't spectacular, but the price was right, so we booked again for a similar trip this year.

It honestly reminded me of living in the dorms what with the constant racket in the hallways and cramped quarters. Every time someone walked past our room the floor shook. We could hear the music in the hotel lobby playing until at least midnight every night. After the first night I bought a pair of earplugs, which helped with the noise a bit. I expected city noise from the streets, not from inside the building.

The doorman was mysteriously absent every time we had bags to carry up or down the stairs and the temperature in the shower never stayed constant for more than 2 minutes at a time.

The good: the subway stop just feet from the door is always a help, the lobby and corridors are nicely decorated, the rooms were clean, and it's cheap.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Virginia
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We were very satisfied with the Marrakech Hotel. We had seen other reviewers' pictures of the hotel and I was prepared for the small accommodation's. We knew we hadn't booked a 5 star luxury hotel - we just needed a clean and safe place to sleep, shower, and dress. This hotel met our requirements.

I also found the hotel staff to be helpful when asked. They helped carry bags and usually had a doorman at the main entrance. We also hung out in the Kazbar Lounge in their lobby on one of our evenings after a show.

It was very convenient to the subway as the 1 line is just a few steps away. There is also a Starbucks right below where we mainly ate breakfast. I only wish we had ventured out to more of the restaurants near the hotel.

If you're very needy and high maintenance, and prefer elevators over exercise, then this hotel might not be for you. Four of us stayed in one room and we were comfortable, happy and glad to save our money for other adventures around the city.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The carpet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on a 5 day NYC tour. I will start with a positive...the staff were quite friendly and eager to help out when possible. Unfortunately that's where the good points end.

Location-wise, the hotel is on 103rd and Broadway so it's about 60 blocks from Times Square. It is literally a 60 second walk to the nearest subway station so get a metrocard.

When we got into our room it was tiny, barely room for the double bed that was in there. Went to have a shower and found a dead cockroach on the bathroom floor. Then another one flew into the sink so I killed it with my shoe.

The shower temperature varied every few seconds between cold and scalding hot. There were also two water pipes (one hot and one cold) running down the wall of the bathroom which were fully exposed. My wife burned herself several times by accidentally glancing the hot pipe.

The bed was only just big enough for two slim adults and the pillows were chunky, so I had cold feet and my wife and I both had sore necks in the morning.

The heating worked the first night but was way too hot and couldn't be adjusted. Then the rest of our stay it didn't work at all and they couldn't fix it. For the US$300 they charged per night it was a complete ripoff.

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — List is too long. Refer to my review.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank philby88
malta
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Hotel rooms look absolutely nothing like they do on the Marrakech website. Rooms are tiny with cheap or non working amenities.
We stayed there just before Christmas for a week, the heating could not get regulated; to cool the room down you are forced to use the Aircon (which didn't work in our room).
There is no coffeemker, no Massage shower head, no Individual climate control...the WI FI was not working properly in the hotel room.
No use of the Flat-screen TV, if there is not one free to air channel!
The reception staff weren't very helpful.
After all, for the price we have paid we could have stayed in a more central location, in a room which at least would allow you to turn around in!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanneroo
MarrakechHotel, The General Manager at Marrakech Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2009
We apologize that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. The staff and management try our best to make all guests happy during their stay. It is the responsibility of the staff and management of the hotel to handle all guest issues and requests in a quick and efficient manor.

The Marrakech Hotel NYC, as an eclectic hotel, all the rooms are unique and vary in size, shape and design. In regards to the amenities, coffee/tea makers are available upon request as well as many other amenities. Guest needs to simply ask the front desk for any items and they are delivered to the room within minutes. Our TVs have 22 FREE stations that are available in all rooms plus over 50 pay per view movies available at any given time.

In regards to the heating, unfortunately, as a historic building originally constructed in 1911, the hotel is connected to the city steam system. As a result, the heating system has a constant steam flow in order to keep the heat equal throughout the entire building.
WI-FI access is available and free to guests in the lobby and lounge area of the hotel. Internet access at a charge is available in all the guestrooms through the television. A security deposit is required to be left at the Front Desk for this service to be activated.
The Management of the hotel appreciates hearing the feedback from the guest and continues to work to make whatever changes that are needed to satisfy all the needs to the travelers staying at our hotel. If a need is not met, the General Manager and the Guest Service Manager are here to assist at any time.
West of Ireland
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed in this hotel for 6 nights at the end of November. Booked it for price ($1,800 inc taxes for 3 sharing a triple room) and because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Hotel itself is fine-nice decor etc. Beds were made daily and bins emptied but at the end of our stay the locker was quiet dusty-not really acceptable. Stairs are annoying but as already mentioned in other reviews the doormen help with bags etc... Reception staff weren't overly friendly- however check-in went without any problems and I had requested a low floor and which we got. Location is ok-subway literally outside the door and only a few stops from Times Sq. Some nice little restaurants around hotel as well as Starbucks beside it so very handy for morning coffee.
Our main reason for travelling to NY was to shop(and shop we did!) and we mainly used taxis instead of the subway due to the amount of bags we were carrying(don't think the locals would have appreciated us bashing our way through the stations!) At the end of our trip we had spent quiet a lot on taxis due to the Marrakech's location near 103rd St. which we probaly could have avoided with a more central hotel.
So to summarise I think this hotel is a nice choice for people looking to for a good budget option. However the next time I travel to NY I will probably go for a more central hotel-I think its worth the extra money.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Stairs!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends