“Hellish!”
Review of Marrakech Hotel

Marrakech Hotel
Ranked #403 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Last year for Thanksgiving my wife and I booked a trip to NYC. We looked on line and found what looked like a cute little boutique hotel. We arrived in the evening to find that who ever was on staff that night decided to take a break, so no one was manning the front desk for 15 mins or so. When they returned they were fairly rude and not helpful. When we asked how late their bar was open till, they stated it had been closed for months. Of course this was not noted on the description on their site, but spoke about a lavish, lively bar....cricket cricket.

Next we worked our way along creepy dimly lit hallways to our room, which was dank, dingy and small. The bed was filled with broken springs and the bathroom fairly gross. If it was not the holiday weekend we would have booted and found another place to stay, but sadly this was not an option.

This was by far one of the worse places I have ever stayed. Keep far away from this dump. Horrible on all levels!!!

Room Tip: no good room. sleep on the street instead!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank howard b
MarrakechHotel, General Manager at Marrakech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Howard,
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that you were not fully satisfied during your stay. I am happy to inform you that since your stay last November, the Marrakech Hotel has recently completed many improvements including reopening the Kazbar Lounge, replacing beds as well as all the pillows, bed linens and towels with a higher quality product. We also upgrading the hallways and added additional lighting.

Since your stay we have won 2 Hotel Excellence awards from separate companies as a result of our positive guest feedback. We hope in your travels bring you back to New York City, you give us another chance to show you how much we improved.

Keith Acker

Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel is best if you want to be out from the tourists. The neighbourhood is just like the films and t.v., real people! The hotel was easy to find I could see it from the subway stop. The staff were friendly and helpful. I was happy that I got clean sheets on my bed each night- wonderful! The only downfall is the stairs- being on the 5th floor I had to walk up stairs to get to my room, fine normally but when you are exhusted. Despite this well wroth the stay especially with free wifi- helped alot.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Hi Charlotte,
Thank you for your positive comments. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The staff made me feel really welcome! And they didn't stop there... I also noticed that they are cheerful and happy towards other guests as well! The rooms were nice and cozy. My bed was made each morning and trash taken out. I had a 2 year old with me and the staff liked to play with her. Special thanks to Marie, Charisma, Bryan and that other bellboy (whose name I forgot) who helped me with my luggage after I checked out!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are noisy. If you want to sleep well, you need a room with a view of a brick wall.
1  Thank Sofia K
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Going by previous reviews I did not know what to expect from this hotel, however I'm glad we went ahead and stayed there.

On arrival we were immediately assisted by the bellman who carried our luggage (of which we had a lot!) up the flight of stairs leading to the lobby. We stayed with our son who is aged 2 for 6 nights. The staff were very friendly throughout our stay and were happy to store milk and other items in their fridge. They do not have restaurant facilities for breakfast etc. however there are plenty of options very close by including the metro diner and bagel cafe. There's also a nice mexican takeaway across the street. The subway is also very close by.

We were in a room right by the lobby so were able to pick-up on the wifi easily. Our room was small but very well presented; it was modern and the bathroom was well finished.

The only downside was that at night it was very noisy on the street and there's no sound-proofing in the windows. I explained this to staff who were happy to help us to move to a different room, however I opted against this and chose to use ear plugs instead.

To conclude this hotel is very good for the price and exceeded expectations as a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms
3  Thank VickyQ84

Dear Vicky,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry for the street noise and wish I could have done more but as I'm sure you seen, New York City is full of activity no matter what time of the day or night. There is always something to do. We look forward to having stay as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

It's a simple boutique hotel, clean and affordable. hotel staff are super friendly and helpful. No complaints all. Free wifi in the lobby which we didn't mind coz its a cozy place to sit and gets you out of the room. Location wasn't smack bang in the centre but subway was so easy, right outside ur door it also felt like a pretty safe neighbourhood.... The main city has Too many weirdos in the night time wandering around when you come back from clubs. Perfect for wat we needed.

Room Tip: Just ask- I we had of known to ask we coulda got a bigger room no biggie though :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bella_rina87
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and the staff immediately went out of their way to make our stay the most comfortable it could be. We arrived a few hours ahead of check in, completely exhausted and they gave us a free upgrade to get us into a room faster. Charisma always greeted us with a smile as did Datina, they asked about our plans and offered suggestions and help to navigate the city/transportation. The bellman jumped in and carried our heavy heavy bags up two flights of stairs. Always there to open the door and say "hi" or "have a good night". Anything we needed was a phone call away and service was prompt and courteous. The room was pristine and comfortable. The bathroom was sparkling, but the shower was a bit testy temperature wise early morning and late night. We will definitely be back in the future. They made our honeymoon perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tarrah S
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The hotel staff are lovely, the location is very convenient. The room was small, but it was all we needed since we were going to be out all day every day. No complaints, but this is definitely not a national chain hotel.

1  Thank RachelFtz