“Great location, great sleep”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #188 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location, great sleep”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Morgans isn't much upon entry, just a tiny lobby with an attentive desk clerk discreetly tucked away. Then you open the door of your room and it looks huge for a New York Hotel. But it isn't--clever, clever design makes the room feel much bigger than it really is. We really appreciated that, as it lacked the claustrophobic feeling common to many NYC hotels (at least in the sub-$400 range).

The location was perfect for breakfast in the beautiful Grand Central Station, a lecture at the NYC library (the one with the big lions in front), and just half a block from one of the best book/art museums in the world, the Morgan.

We got in a couple of hours late, so we took room service. The menu was small, but excellent. And the food was delicious. There was a complimentary breakfast that looked much better than average, but we just took coffee...the restaurant/bar that serves as a daytime lounge for guests was beautiful.

The toiletries were very nice (love the bay rum soap...now I want some for home) and the bathroom was small, but clever. Instead of the usual pathetic bathtub that only works for a six-year-old, they turned the entire bathroom into a wetroom with a shower that boasts a rain-shower head AND a directional detachable shower head. Really smart.

We came across it by accident (when I was looking for hours for the Morgan Library), but we plan on staying there next time we go to NYC. It was a perfect balance of luxury and budget.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen O
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am so happy that you accidentally came upon us! How fun! Also, that you appreciate good design. Andree Putman (our Designer) was a master at using optimal space.

The Pierpont Morgan Library is a gem and all of our guests should visit - they have great exhibitions and a lovely place for lunch!

Yes, we have indeed opened our Lounge for drinks in the evening and our guests are loving it!

Till next time...

Regards,

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned after spending 6 nights at Morgans.

We couldn't have asked for anything more in a hotel; the staff were very accommodating, the rooms were spacious (plenty of room for shopping bags!) and decorated to very high standard. The breakfast was served to a reasonable time (11am) so we were still able to enjoy our holidays and have a lie in :) the only fault I can think of is that the air conditioning didn't appear to be on in the breakfast area and as such we didn't get to spend as long relaxing with a gorgeous mug of coffee! However, maybe not a bad thing; as a result I didn't consume too many lovely sugary delights!

Would definitely recommend Morgans to friends and family and we will return in the future.

Thank you to the staff for: creating such a fabulous place, looking after us; we were able to enjoy our holiday to the full :)

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. You had a nice long stay and I am very happy that you were comfortable here and that you would recommend Morgans to your friends.

Full disclosure - we were performing maintenance on the AC in the Breakfast Room, getting it ready for those long days of summer (can't wait!) so we did turn it off a couple of mornings.

Next time, you can stick around longer and enjoy some more breakfast treats!

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I had an odd requirement the last time I stayed in NY. I really just needed a hotel for after the theatre until 5 a.m. - no flourishes, just a good night of sleep before a quick cab ride to Penn Station. Morgans was terrific. Arriving on a rainy afternoon, I was not excited about wandering around looking for a coffee shop, so I took two friends and a little dog into the lounge and we had (complimentary) tea and a chance to chat. It was quiet, comfortable and easy. My room on the 7th floor faced the back and even had some sky visible. While compact, it was clean, very cleverly designed with efficient features and perfectly comfortable. I only had a carry-on bag (not even a suitcase) so for this solo traveler - the small room was just fine. The window seat was next to the outlet, so I could charge my phone and talk on it at the same time- a plus. The bathroom is NYC small, but, when you are alone, what difference does it make?
Off the elevator when I returned to my room around 11, I heard some loud talking and was worried, but I couldn't hear anything in my room from the neighbors which was a relief.
The guys at the desk were pleasantly helpful - made me less anxious about getting a cab at 5:15 am and actually hailed it for me.
I sometimes have meetings in NY about 10 blocks away. Last weekend their price was excellent. I am sure I will be back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
I loved reading your review - it sounded more like a 'short story'. Thank you for taking the time to write. I am delighted that you enjoyed your quick stay with us and that the hotel provided exactly what you needed.

Our Lounge opens this Wednesday so we are very excited to finally serve drinks! You must come back to see how we set it up at night for cocktails!

See you soon!

Fuengirola, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

When I found this hotel on the Internet, I thought it would be the perfect place for me to stay while spending one week in New York. I was wrong. I don't understand why if I go there in July, I need to wear almost winter clothes while being inside the hotel, because the air conditioning system was so high that it felt like January, and there was no real way of making it feel warmer. And besides, the air conditioning was too loud and it didn't help to fall asleep at night. Then, what kind of hotel in Manhattan doesn't have a restaurant? Even if it is a tiny little one? It was very inconvenient that the only food they served was breakfast, and even the breakfast wasn't good. No possibility of a hot breakfast; only muffins, toasts, and cereal, apart from fresh fruit. What's the point of paying an extortionate price for your stay if you have to leave the hotel in order to find a decent breakfast? Or lunch? Or dinner? I wasn't happy about that.
About the cleanliness... it was ok, but they didn't change the bed linen once while we were there. I played some tricks in order to check if they were changing the bed clothes and no, they never changed them. Not even once. I spent there 7 nights. The cleaning staff wasn't proficient in English, so they wouldn't even understand me when I had some request.
But the worse was the people at the front desk. They were never very helpful. I had all kinds of problems with my credit cards and, after talking to my bank, it happened that they were messing so much with the cards that it was all their fault, even though they kept on saying the fault was mine. On the day of departure, I went to the front desk and they used my credit card to get the final payment from my stay. I asked THREE TIMES if everything was ok and paid for. They said YES. I asked for a receipt and I got it. To my surprise, one week later I got an email from them saying that I had left the hotel without paying for my stay. My jaw hit the floor. I HAD A RECEIPT! And the bank had already reflected the payment in my bank account. I sent an email to them letting them know that I had paid and I had the receipt. They kept on sending emails asking me for money for nearly two months, until I finally had to make my bank to communicate with them to let them know they weren't getting more money. My bank told me they had tried to make the charge on my card several times. I was beyond outraged. Then they sent me an email saying it had all been a mistake. Nonsense. If I ever go back to New York, I know perfectly well where I won't stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CintaGarcia
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your review. One thing that a Boutique Hotel is good at is tracking down issues, even if they occured a while back. We were able to look back and retrieve the information from your stay. According to our records, you had stayed with us in July of 2013. I must say, I find it odd that you would send complaints of this nature 9 months later. When guests write reviews many months after their stay, my radar gets going. Although there is nothing wrong with that, I think that if something goes wrong with one's stay, it is prudent to address it right away.

I would like to begin with the payment issue -

Basically, the VISA card you submitted was rejected by your bank. This is simply what happened. We sent you various e-mails with no response so we then had no choice but to charge your other card. My inclination is that this review was written because the charges went through on the second card. Please understand that if you are not happy with a hotel, it does not mean that you decide not to pay your bill. There should be a discussion with the GM and then an agreement can be made.

With regard to the changing of your sheets -

There was no need to play any tricks. As most hotels these days, we follow an environmental program. There is a card in the room. You can request to have your sheets changed daily if you like. Many of our guests these days are indeed concerned with the environment and opt out of changing everything daily. This is up to the guest.

With regard to the restaurant issue -

Many hotels these days are offering limited food and beverage options. This is going on throughout the city. In fact, very few hotel restaurants offer lunch! It is New York City! With so many great options, our guests never ordered lunch even when we offered it years ago!

We did not make it a secret that our Lounge had not yet opened. It was never featured on our website or anything else. Word to travelers out there - if there is something that is critically important to you, whether it is a fitness facility, a bar or restaurant, room service etc. you should take the time to find out whether the hotel offers this. One cannot assume these days! There are many hotels in Manhattan that are going through Food and Beverage changes - mainly because guests do not use the facilities very much. There are over 20,000 options in the city and hotels are finding it hard to compete!

I do apologize about the air conditioning system. As I have stated many times on Trip Advisor, it is important to use a Bellman who can guide a guest through all the features in a room, including the thermostat. Thermostats tend to operate differently based on the model so I always ask for a room tour when I check into a hotel.

I gather from your review that you are most distressed about the payment issue but as far as the hotel is concerned, we have tried to communicate with you many times and had not been paid for your stay for over 9 months. We deal with thousands of transactions a year and have had very few issues. Also, I am around in case guests need help and I have never heard from you.

When we are at fault, I admit it as I have with other reviews. In this case, I feel we are entitled to payment. I also feel that prior to writing a scathing review, perhaps the time should be taken to contact the GM and express your frustrations! I am here for you and any other guest.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just returned from a stay at the Morgan hotel. What an absolute find this place is spacious rooms, clean, lovely decor and helpful friendly staff would definitely stay here again . Don't really want to tell anyone how great this place is in case it gets too popular !!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Oh go on, shout it from the rooftops! Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and even happier that you would stay again. That is the best endorsement!

See you soon.

Regards,

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This was an ok experience, but I expected more based on the previous reviews. I was not wowed in any way by the service or the hotel in general. The beds were comfortable, good location, the free toiletries were of good quality and the showers were nice. However, the very loud HVAC was so jarring when it kicked off that it made it impossible to sleep a complete night. We went to the front desk after the first night, but they did not seem to care that much and nonchalantly told us they'd send up a maintenance person to check it. No offer to change our room or anything, they acted more so like I was silly for complaining about it. The second night it was slightly better, but still made weird thumping noises all night long that literally awoke you from a dead sleep (and my husband is a VERY sound sleeper). I have never heard a HVAC system in any hotel I've ever stayed in that act like that. Obviously there is some sort of mechanical issue in some rooms that needs to be addressed. Overall, the nicest service I received at The Morgan was from the doormen. Otherwise unimpressed by front desk representatives or other staff. Sadly, just not what I expected.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that you had a less than great stay. Obviously, we need to check the HVAC in the room. We did manage to track down the room number based on the information you provided and our Chief Engineer is working on it. Even more troubling that the person you dealt with was not responsive. I will track that down too!

We let you down and there is no excuse!

Please accept my apologies.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Morgans New York Hotel was the PERFECT hotel for a stay in the city. It's in walking distance of Times Sq and Grand Central Terminal, but still a good distance away from most of the chaos of the city. The staff at the door and front desk were VERY friendly! They made us feel very special and made any accommodation that we needed. I included a note in the comments section of the reservation that I was staying in the city in order to propose to my girlfriend. I am not sure if they did this with that in mind, but they upgraded us to a better room on the top floor and even left a very nice note with some chocolates in our room on the first day. This made the trip even better than it already was, and I am SO glad that I chose Morgans! Oh, and she said YES!

The breakfast was a great start to the day and the lounge featured a very warming environment with lovely decor. The hotel was able to hold our bags when we arrived in the city a few hours before our check-in time and even after we checked out so we were able to do more around the city before our departure flight. I will definitely be staying at Morgans the next time I am in the city! Thanks for a great, memorable stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel P
I am so happy that you became engaged right here at Morgans! How romantic! Thank you for your kind review. I hope you will return to celebrate an Anniversary in the future. We wish you many years of happiness together!