“Great hotel, helpful staff, lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morgans New York Hotel

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #182 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, helpful staff, lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here for five nights as we went to NYC to get married on New Year's Day. My husband and I had a suite and two other family members shared a twin room.

Overall we were really impressed with Morgans. It's difficult to identify from the front as there's no signage - it could easily be mistaken for an stylish apartment block.

The service was very good throughout, staff were welcoming and attentive, even during a fire alarm incident that caused problems with the WiFi and phones. All staff were friendly and were happy to help with reservations and bank problems we had. We were also delighted to find a bottle of champagne congratulating us on our wedding - that was a lovely thought.

The hotel is beautifully decorated, especially in the breakfast/lounge room and the rooms follow theme. We were a little disappointed with the suite we were in, the size of the suite was amazing and there was plenty of seating and storage but the rooms themselves looked a little tired, there was rust on the shower doors, scratches and tears to surfaces and wallpaper and a bodge job with the tiling around the shower - the whole place needed a little spruce up. The basin in the bathroom didn't drain well either although the rooms were immaculately clean.

We were sad to find there wasn't a bar area in the hotel, apparently due to renovations this was now the breakfast room until things were moved around. It would have been good to have known this before we arrived. That said the room that served the buffet breakfast was amazing, such a comfortable space with complementary coffee and tea throughout the day.

The breakfast was buffet style. They served pastries, bread, yoghurts and cereals etc (which sounded a little boring beforehand) of amazing quality. It was an ideal breakfast to set you up for the day and so delicious.

Overall, we'd highly recommend Morgan's as a place to stay in central Manhattan. The staff are great, the location is good and the rooms are spacious. I do believe though with the cost being quite high I'd like to have an in-house bar and see the rooms renovated to a better spec.

Room Tip: Choose a suite for an extra bit of luxury and plenty of room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. You will be happy to hear that now that things have finally calmed down a bit in NY, we have our entire team of Engineers in rooms sprucing them up. It was one of the busiest Holiday seasons ever in our city and quite frankly, we could not get into all of our rooms to perform work. This would have disturbed guests next door.

Well I do hope we will see you again for one of your Anniversaries and wish you a lifetime of happiness!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Ambleside, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Morgans on 38th Street is our favorite hotel when we visit NYC. They do everything well at Morgan's. Reception staff are super friendly and efficient. Doormen always open the door for you and help you with your luggage. Rooms are very clean, comparable in size to other NYC hotels, and have everything you need. Housekeeping staff are always helpful and ALWAYS SMILING! The new breakfast room/lounge area is beautifully done.....trendy, but not over the top. Great selection at breakfast....wonderful fresh bagels, pastries, fresh fruit and FABULOUS coffee!!! Great midtown location near Empire State Building, Macys, Lord & Taylor, Saks, Bryant Park, Rockefeller center...all a short walk away. This was our fourth visit, and we'll be back again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Boy, your review made me feel so much better after reading the one just before yours! Thank you. I know Morgans is not for everyone but glad to know that if one likes this style and appreciates the service, we are the hotel for that person! I am delighted that you continue to stay with us and hope to see you in 2014!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had a great stay at Morgans for the five nights we were there. It's an understated, chic hotel with plenty of warmth from the helpful staff and comfortable, cosy rooms. Our first room was near the lift which was a bit noisy at night for us but they moved us straight away to a room which suited us better. The rooms (superior queen room on the 12 floor) weren't huge but were nicely furnished, very comfy beds with plenty of storage space and I loved the window seat with views over the city. The continental breakfast was great with plenty of choice, good coffee and delicious fresh pastries (plus fruit, cereal, bagels, doughnuts and juices).

It was a short walk from the Empire State Building and about 10-15 walk to Times Square. There are a few little shops and cafes right near the hotel too.

We loved our time there and would stay there again, this was our fourth stay in New York and this hotel had everything we were looking for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am always happy when people appreciate our breakfast - as I have often stated, we are one of the few NY hotels that offers this!

Yes - we are fortunate to have a great location and the original owners had the foresight in 1984 to purchase this building and make it Morgans Hotel - we are 30 years old this year! (I wish I could say the same!)

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

our second time at ste morgans and still one of the best boutique hotels we have stayed in.. but whilst our first visit was very impressive with the veiw of the empire state building whilst having b'reakfast this time wasn't to be:( also thought the restaurant would be opened by now don't let this reveiw put you off I would still return.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. Yes, we have moved our breakfast back down to the restaurant. The previous location was temporary while we renovated. We have experienced a delay in opening the restaurant but it is coming soon!

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom suite for 10 days and loved it! Location couldn't of been better, staff were extremely friendly and the rooms were wonderful (quiet and clean). Breakfast was great - once the staff found out that I couldn't eat any gluten, they had many options for me out the back, and even went and bought bagels for me! This was rare for New York catering for special eating requirements, but Morgans looked after me very well. Will definitely stay here again if we visit NYC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so happy that we were able to accommodate your special requests. These days, there are a number of shops selling gluten free items; years ago, this was not the case.

I am very happy to hear that you would return and look forward to welcoming you back!

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews for the last leg of our honeymoon. We arrived late in the evening and i was somewhat disappointed by the greeting we received on arrival. The hotel is discreet and a doorman helped us in with our luggage but the reception welcome was a let down, no warmth, no smiling, and not what i expected.

We were shown to our room at the back of the hotel which didn't have a view as requested. The room was small with very little lighting, but it was cosy in the fact that it felt like i was staying in the guest bedroom in someones apartment. I liked that about it. We slept very well on our first night and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast the next day. The breakfast room was totally unexpected. Art deco, jazz music, lovely seating and great space. It was a great place to enjoy a breakfast which included; cereals, breads (three different types), croissants, donuts, bagels, sweet pastries, juices, tea and coffee and fresh fruit.

I was still put out that we hadn't received the stellar service that i had read about from other reviewers. That changed on our second evening when we met William at reception. Having explained of our greeting (or lackthereof) and the fact that we were on honeymoon, he kindly sent us a bottle of wine, some sparkling water and box of Leonidas chocolates, along with a handwritten note offering his Congratulations and reassuring us that if we needed anything, not to hesistate to contact him. If i had received this on arrival i am sure that this would have been a four star review.

The rest of our stay was fine. The room is comfortable, with very little lighting, but you can get by just fine. Everything was clean, the heating system was great, the bathrooms are small, the walls are thin so if you are a light sleeper you may be disturbed.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. I realise New York is an expensive place to stay and it was Thanksgiving weekend but i just expected a little more for the price that we paid. I would recommend it because of its fantastic location (10 minutes to Grand Central and 5-7 mins to 34st shopping), and excellent breakfast that sets you up for the day.

Well done to William for his excellent customer care too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbugjen
Actually, your expectations were not at all too high. It goes without saying that a warm greeting upon your arrival is the least we can do and I am certainly distressed that this did not occur. If you are able to contact me and let me know who you are and the date of your arrival, I will be able to address the specific individual who let both of us down.

As far as Honeymooners are concerned, I will repeat what I have already written to another guest -

To be very frank we have recently had so many guests celebrating for so many different reasons that I personally have not been able to keep up! That is why I have decided to create a special Honeymoon Package which will be featured on our Website. That is the only way I think that we can guarantee a larger room and the type of amenties that Honeymooners expect. I do hope that future Honeymooners will consider booking this Package. I am sorry it was not put together in time for your stay!

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely Devine. I lived staying here not only because it was clean, well looked after, hospitable and funky but the location is awesome. I had an enjoyable unforgettable experience and no doubt you'll have a great no fuss and classy holiday in New York if you stay here. I cannot wait to come back to this hotel next time I am in New York. If you're thinking about it, just do it. Wow factor plus.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
What a 'wow' way to start off the New Year!!! Thank you so much for your vote of confidence! We too look forward to seeing you again.