“Good location, very comfortable room”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #200 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Paisley
“Good location, very comfortable room”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at the Morgans Hotel for 3 nights for my husbands 50th birthday in March of this year (sorry for late review!). The other 3 nights we stayed in Brooklyn with a relative.

I booked a one bedroom suite and the hotel met all my requests for a nice room on a high floor with a nice view. We had a view of the Empire State Building from the window of both rooms, the bedroom overlooked Madison Avenue, perfect. Despite the bedroom overlooking a busy street it was very quiet, we slept really well. The room was very spacious and comfortable, bathroom was a little small but it was adequate and the shower was great.

On one day coming back to our room at 5pm it still had not been cleaned, which was a bit disappointing since we had been out all day and wanted to relax before getting ready for dinner.

It was lovely to have breakfast up in the Penthouse, fantastic views up there and such a lovely atmosphere to sit and plan your day ahead while having croissants/muffins/cereal etc. You can also help yourself to tea and coffee throughout the day, although it would have been nice to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room as sometimes I like a cuppa when I get up before I'm dressed.

Pity the hotel doesn't yet have a bar/lounge area, when we first booked we were told it would be finished by March but they did contact us before arriving to let us know it had been delayed, but it would have been nice to have a comfortable public area to sit, have a drink and relax.

It was a nice hotel, I like that it was a small and discrete hotel but felt it could have done with a bit of brightening up in the corridors, it was quite dark and the carpets a bit stained in places.

I would also have like to have seen a doorman there all day and in the evening. Sometimes he was there and sometimes he wasn't, it was a heavy door and I saw quite a few people struggle to open it and get their luggage in.

I would probably stay again if the price was right and if they get the bar/lounge open.

We did have an amazing trip to NY and look forward to coming back sometime when it's warmer, it was freezing when we visited in March!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. Well a few things have changed since March -

Breakfast is now served in our Lounge, Reserve.
On October 31st, we will officially open the Lounge for drinks and dinner!

We are very excited and hope you will return to give it a try!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Cobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Picked this hotel on the day before visiting New York for the first time during our trip from the UK. It is very central to all the main tourist attractions in NYC being in Madison Ave. Room was small but very comfortable, with en suite facilities etc. Breakfast was included in the price although it is buffet style (they do charge if you want anything cooked).
Staff very friendly and courteous. At the time of our visit the main restaurant was being refurbished and due to open in Oct 13, however we did not find this a problem as there are loads of places to eat nearby.
Only criticism is that there is no hotel sign on the street or indeed anything to show this is a hotel from the outside, so make sure you have the exact street nu bed.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings and thank you for your kind review! Actually, we are opening the Lounge on October 31st and we cannot wait!

There are many places where one can eat in NY but the Lounge will be fabulous - we have a number of delicious dishes and great drinks.

I do hope you return to try us again!

Regards,

London
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Ok, the rooms are still cool enough, it's comfortable, but it really isn't the same...no restaurant, no bar, no Armani clad doormen, it's now a rather run of the mill four star(ish) Manhattan hotel.
It's just not quite what it was...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Gosh, I've been here for 20 years and do not recall Armani clad Bellmen but I believe they may have existed when the hotel first opened!

What we have maintained in my view is a charming, youthful (not in my case sadly) fresh approach to hospitality and a great design by the late Andree Putman.

Things do change and evolve with time, but I disagree that we are 'run of the mill'. Our staff see to that!

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have spent a very good night here. The room is spacious for NY, the furniture ample and comfortable, and very nice high quality toiletries enhance a terrific hot shower. Good variety and quality of breakfast foods and nice staff.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Judith050
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
You make me want to jump into the shower!!! Thank you for your kind review. I think in a couple of sentences, you covered a lot!

Hope to see you again!

New York
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel has tiny but well thought out rooms. The bed was good, as was the bathroom & toiletries provided. The hotel was quiet & perfect for a few nights in the city when you're out most of the time & just come back to relax or sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Actually, our rooms are typical for New York. I am not sure whether you stayed in a Standard Room, but we do have larger sizes depending on what you book.

I am happy to say that it is a quiet setting and conducive to relaxation. Even our Lounge when it opens in November will have a relaxed, sophisticated feel. Hope you return to try it!

Regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2013

First of all, I need to inform you that the location cannot be any better for a NY traveller. Probably most of the money you are/will be paying goes to rent but anyway, now you know that it's worth it. The guys at the reception were kind enough to deal with my deliveries (i.e., internet orders) and the rooms, the reception, lobby all were very elegantly furnished & maintained.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank erbacioglu
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review although I am not sure what the reference to rent means but it sounds good, so thanks!

We do receive a lot of packages for guests and are happy to deal with them!

Hope you will return to experience the new Lounge!

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my dad stayed here for 3 nights. It was my second time visiting New York, so I prefered a hotel in Midtown. The location of this hotel was, as expected, amazing. The subway is a few blocks away, but because the hotel is in midtown, we did a whole lot of walking.
All the top locations are nearby: Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Chrysler Building, but it's also close to Times Square, Theater District and Fifth Avenue. On our last morning we even walked to Flatiron Building.
Despite the great location the hotel isn't full of tourists. It doesn't look very hotel-like to be honest, we almost walked right passed it when we arrived. I think that's also why it doesn't feel that touristy.

The next good thing about this hotel was the staff. We were welcomed by William, I believe, who was very friendly and quick. We were in our room not even 15minutes after arriving.
What I liked the most about the staff, is that they weren't overbearing. They were there if you needed to ask something, but they weren't obviously around all the time. Same during breakfast, they just let you do your thing. It's personal preference, but we really appreciated that.

Then onto the room. The room is New York style, so pretty small. Which never really bothers me, because we were there to visit the city and not stay in our hotel room. You could pass each other just fine, so it definitely was big enough. We also had a nice window seat.
The bathroom was a tad too small for me, there was no possibility of standing there with two at the same time. The shower was great though.
One tiny negative point is that the room was very dark. As our window view essentially was another wall, there was very little natural light in the room. And the 'big' light in the room was located above the window, so the other side of the room (where the closet was) always stayed pretty dark.
And a last plus for the hotel is that the room was very quiet!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Okay so can I adopt you?

Thank you so much. I am very happy that you and your Dad had a good stay at Morgans. I am also happy to say that I have finally identified a perfect new lamp that will provide a lot more light while retaining the 'look' of the room. It took a while but we have just ordered the first shipment!

I hope you and Dad return to experience our new Lounge and if you are over 21 (used to be 18 in my day!) you can enjoy a nice drink in there!

Kindest regards,