“A Gem of a Hotel”

Ranked #201 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New Smyrna Beach, FL
“A Gem of a Hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I found Morgans while wading through an AARP online list of hotel offerings. Something about the pictures, the great deal and location called to me. We were heading up to the City to celebrate my birthday and I wanted something special but not pretentious. From the moment we entered the no nonsense lobby, we were greeted, made to feel welcome and a simple request like putting us in a room with windows that opened was pleasantly honored. Our standard room on the ninth floor was quite roomy, clean and functional. Decor was muted...except for their signature black and white tiled bathroom. View out the window was New York classic rooflines. Continental breakfast is served in a most pleasant setting with ambience and comfort the top priority. Abundant and delicious fresh fruit salad, yogurts, buttery croissants, breads, bagels, coffee and teas were among the choices each morning along with complimentary newspapers. Morgans location in the Murray Hill section is perfect for walking just about anywhere. French bistro right across the street is wonderful for a prix fixe lunch. A special shout out to the two Toms...front desk and doorman. They went the extra mile assisting us with boarding pass printouts and securing a great cab driver to get us to LGA. We'd stay here again in a New York minute.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Debbisam
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I absolutely love gems - I wish I owned some! Thank you so much for your kind review. You write like a professional writer. I will pass your thanks on to the two 'Tom's' at Morgans. Please come back soon to experience Reserve - our new Lounge!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Really good experience at Morgans. Really small and personal service. All of the staff were excellent. Doormen Tom and Israel stand out , and Brendan at breakfast. Only niggles were small bathrooms and at busy times at breakfast the room seemed to be up to capacity. Can't detract from a really excellent and personalised service in a city that is not always renowned for this in its big hotels.

• Stayed August 2013
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
You are so nice to mention staff by name! That makes me so happy and I look forward to showing them your comments.

We hope to see you again soon!

Purley
Reviewed August 25, 2013

As with your previous review we too had spent hours researching hotels in NYC for four nights and in the end were suffering from information overload! In the end we definitely made the right decision in choosing Morgans.

The location is perfect- waking up to a view of the Empire State Building shimmering in the sunshine is a memory I will treasure! We had a suite as we were travelling with our 16 year old son. It met our needs perfectly as both he and we had privacy but were still 'together' as a family. The rooms were of a good size,very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The breakfasts were excellent and the readily available tea/coffee in the downstairs lounge at any time of the day was very welcome.

The staff were fantastic,really friendly and helpful.Our thanks to Scott and the young lady on Reception in particular who took the time to write us a list of local eateries. We have already recommended Morgans to several friends and would not hesitate to stay there again. Many thanks to all the staff for making our stay so delightful!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DottyP_8
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
It is wonderful to see that so many people do their homework before they select a hotel! Like I have mentioned before on this forum, there is a hotel for everyone's taste and budget.

I am very happy that we came through for you and that you had a great stay in New York. I must say, this August was one of the best months I can ever recall, with lovely sunny days and not too much New York humidity.

I am sure it is 'back to school' time for your son and wish you all the very best. Thank you for recommending Morgans and hope to see you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had researched so many hotels in NYC for our four night stay in August and reading so many TA reviews of hotels, frankly I was v confused! So we ended up booking this hotel, parly because of the location and inpart because it looked ok on the Internet and was within our price range.

The lobby is small, but welcoming.

We booked the Loft room for the space and we got a good deal.

The room was large for a NY hotel, so we were quite pleased. The room was v clean and we slept well as the bed was comfortable and the room surprisingly quiet. (Not much outside noise that we could hear from our top floor). The AC was loud, but to be honest, we didn't really notice it once we were asleep. Room had a fridge which was useful.

The decor, including the black and white tiles in the bathroom isn't quite to my taste, but hey, we were only taking a quick shower two or three times a day, not staying in there! The water was hot and powerful, so again it worked well for us.

The free wifi worked well.

The breakfast was v good, and included Bagels, bread which you could toast, yogurt, muffins, fresh cut fruit, croissants, tea (choice of Twinings), muesli, juices. All of these were replenished quickly. You could take out tea and coffee in take out cups which were also provided.

Good location for Empire State BUilding, Grand Central Station and some nice places to eat.

Staff all v friendly. All in all, we were pleased with our choice and had no real issues.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raven108
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
First of all, I think it's great that you did your research and I am honored that you selected Morgans. I am also delighted that it worked out well for you.

Thank you for mentioning so many of the features and services. This will help others to do their research as well, which is what makes this forum so special.

I hope you will return some day to try the Lounge, which will soon be open for dinner and drinks!

Warren, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our first time in New York City and thankfully Morgans was highly recommended to us!The entire staff was very welcoming and helpful. I would like to thank Milton for taking care of us when we checked in - we loved our room!! We're looking forward to visiting Morgans again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review! It is a damp, rainy day but your review added a ray of sunshine to our day. We are delighted that your experience has been a consistently good one. Service always reigns supreme and we try our best to achieve it - sometimes we falter, but that is a rare occurrence.

Hope to see you back for a fourth stay!

Boston
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked the Morgans Hotel for a two-night stayand would not stay again, and will not recommend to others. The hotel is not without merit: free wi-fi and complimentary continental breakfast were very much appreciated but our experience overall was pretty terrible. Decor was unusual and I found it stark and very unappealing. The staff lacked polish and seemed young and unsure, overly familiar and unprofessional. My first challenge came when I asked about using a business-center, as I only brought my ipad and needed a full computer to access a flashdrive. I was directed to a second-floor lounge by the front desk staff i went, could not find the computer, and returned to the front desk confused and asked where the computers were the reply: "Oh, I thought by business center you meant just a quiet place to work. We don't have a public computer." I was directed to a Fed-Ex down the street, which was fine, but the confusion and inepttude of the staff was annoying. Worst, though, was when we returned to our room after dinner on our second night to find that the room reeked of sewer gas. I immediately called the front desk and was told that the hotel was completely sold out so we could not be moved, but they would send someone up to see what could be done to fix the problem. The smell was so bad that we went downstairs to the lobby. The front desk staff offered us a glass of wine, which we declined, and asked us to wait in the living room area. We asked for some water and was told that someone would be with us in a moment. It was after 11 and we were anxious for sleep. we went to the lounge area -completely deserted - and waited for 45 minutes before we returned to the lobby to investigate. We had been forgotten and the staff looked startled to see my husband. The front desk manager said that the problem could not be fixed and that the toy were moving us to another room. I thanked him but reminded him that an hour ago he had told me that the hotel was full. If there was room available, why couldn't they have moved us an hour ago? He looked flustered and said that he had "moved someone else and made some other arrangements." Ridiculous. He tells me we are being moved to a room on the 8th floor. We go to our room - which now reeks of sewer gas and lemon air-freshener, pack our things and await the bellman to escort us. But when he arrives we are told we are being moved to the fourth floor. What? How many rooms are open in this "full" hotel? The next morning I remember that we need to call 20 minutes ahead to the front desk to access our car, but our new room phone doesn't work. I call the main hotel number on my cell and no one answers so we go to the lobby and ask for our car and wait. I ask why no one is answering the phone and the staff just says "I'm sorry." We go to check out and are asked "how was your stay?" by the new front desk staff. I explain the problem but this is all news to him. Why wasn't the morning staff alerted to the problems of the overnight guests? My view: problems, like the sewer smell, can happen at any hotel. The mark of a good hotel is dealing with problems in a manner that puts the comfort of your guests first. Morgan's was a disappointment and with so many other hotels in New York, there is no reason not to go elsewhere.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank duomogal
First of all, please accept my personal apologies. I must say that I find it just slightly comical that your review is sandwiched in between two reviews that are titled 'Great Hotel'. I do not find your situation comical however and am very sorry about it.

It is very obvious that we missed the ball on this one. Part of the explanation, although it is not an excuse is that there was quite a bit of transition during your stay - we are waiting for the I-pads and printer for our Living Room, the fourth floor rooms are brand new and were not meant to be used until the telephones were hooked up, hence the 'found room' for you to move into.

The odor you experience has been addressed.

I am always surprised by guests who find our décor unusual and cannot imagine why! This is certainly not a super modern hotel and our Designer was a very forward looking, innovative 80-year old when she re-designed Morgans for the third time in her career. I do think that everyone should do their homework and read about where you are staying prior to committing. There is no hotel out there which is for everyone!

Also, our youthful staff have one thing other hotels may lack - enthusiasm, energy and friendliness. To some people, this may come across as 'overly familiar' - personally I prefer the friendly approach to the 'yes ma'am' that one gets in more formal properties.

It is not only important for future travelers to write reviews, but to read them as well. It is how you get information about a hotel prior to staying. There are dozens of reviews on this helpful forum that describe our service and our Ethos.

I am sorry for your experience and assure all of the readers out there that our Lounge / Living Room renovation has been completed and we are back to normal (a better normal than prior to the renovation!).

Bahrain
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have been to the hotel over 3 times now so its about time I write a review. The hotel may be 4 star, but everything about it is amazing even though I frequently prefer 5-star hotels. The rooms have a very nice modern black/white decor, probably not that spacious but thats how it is with most NYC hotels. The breakfast is fabulous and decent variety for NYC, it included pastries, toast, cake, drinks. Even in the afternoon, tea was present, hot chocolate and some small snacks. The WiFi is free and quite fast. The service is excellent. Even though they don't have a huge variety in their room service menu as the restaurant is still under construction, the reception can order for you any dishes from nearby outlets and deliver them to your room.
The bed is comfortable and the AC is very good. The location is quite decent, around 5 mins walk to Grand Central and the nearest underground and a short stroll from the Empire State building and Bryant Park. The reception desk are very friendly and cooperative including the Bell men.
Highly recommend compared to many NYC hotels I've been in so far.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your kind review, and for adding so many details regarding Morgans! You are very thorough in your description of all that we offer. Wait until the Lounge opens - our Room Service offerings will be greatly enhanced as will the drinks and delicacies in the Lounge.

Hope you will return to try it all out!