“Amazing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #182 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We are in the middle of our 9-nights stay at Morgans and our only regret is that our experience will end soon. Perfect staff, wonderful room, best location, delicious breakfast, breathtaking rooftop view. Now some details : the staff is really awesome starting with Debbie, the hotel manager, very attentive in our mail exchanges; then the doorman Scott who considerately showed us the details of our room and Sarah and her helpful suggestions. Regarding some bad comments : the bathroom is not the biggest in the world but who cares? The shower is delicious and there is more than enough place to scatter dozens of products under the mirror and one spends more time at the bed spacious area anyways. No eggs for breakfast but who cares again if one considers the variety of cereals, pastries, croissants, bread, bagels, yogurt, so delicious I'm getting hungry! We also had a room upgrade yesterday, and the studio is really awesome (our superior room was already great), and as it is our honeymoon we had a fresh wine bottle waiting for us with yummie brownies from astor bake shop. I'm sure other guests will have the same great experience here, strongly recommended, the best place to start and end each day in NYC!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank AlessandroDLA
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you spent your honeymoon with us! There were so many honeymoon couples here recently and having been married for over twenty years now, it makes me happy that people are starting their married lives here at Morgans. I too did the same - I joined the company the year I got married and both ventures have turned out well for me!

We are very fortunate to have a great team here and thank you for mentioning them.

I hope you will celebrate your anniversary with us some day!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
South Kingstown, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was recently invited to see the Broadway hit "Kinky Boots" as a guest of one of the producers, so my partner and I decided to make it a little getaway in the city. After reading various reviews, we decided to book at Morgans and are please that we did. The hotel is well located so we are able to walk to a great deal of what the city has to offer, the rooms are quite nice, loved the bath amenties (although as is typical for NYC, small bathroom). Loved the continental breakfast served on the penthouse level - wonderful views of the city while waking up over coffee! But what really distinguishes the hotel is it's staff - I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel in NYC with such warm and welcoming staff as at Morgans. They just could not do enough for us - I honestly felt I was staying with friends!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
It is Wednesday before the 4th of July and I am here late at night trying to finish up. I read your review and honestly, it makes it all worth it. Thank you so much. I am so happy to work with such wonderful people. Truly, you made my day!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just have to comment on another amazing stay at Morgans. The location, as I've said before, is terrific but what really makes this small hotel special is the people/staff. From the front desk folks, to bellmen, to cleaning staff - everyone i came in contact with over my recent 4 day trip were incredible. I highly recommend if you are looking for a quiet stay in the heart of mid-town. The decor is more contemporary so check out the website to ensure this meets with your expectations. It really does feel like "going home" when i visit. I travel extensively and only wish i had this option in many of the other cities i spend time in. Thanks Morgans team for another great stay!

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room - and I've stayed here a lot! This last trip i had room 1509 which...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Your reference to 'going home' is just what I needed to hear this morning! I am so happy that you feel this way. Recently, we were asked to write an 'Ethos Statement' about Morgans - in other words, to describe the essence of Morgans. This is what we have come up with -

You've come home.

A sense of serenity greets you as you walk through the door.

An oasis in a sea of activity; quietly, calmly let us take of you.

Breathe, think, be...

A warm welcome, a tranquil setting, a timeless spirit...Morgans...
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent a week at Morgan's New York with my children (aged 18 and 21). We were in a one bedroom suite on the 12th floor - expensive but very spacious. There was a king size bed in the bedroom that was the most comfortable bed ever, and a couch in the living room - not a pull out couch, but large enough to be a bed once the cushions were removed. The staff keep the rooms extremely clean and well attended and well-stocked with toiletries. There was a minibar with extremely expensive drinks, but we ignored that and went to the deli next door for soft drinks instead.

The location is excellent - a five to ten minute walk to a number of different subway stops, so getting around was easy. We loved the breakfast, which is an extremely generous continental breakfast (no hot items, but everything else you would want) and the lovely breakfast room overlooking the Empire State Building. It was a very peaceful way to start each day, enjoying a coffee and croissant and newspaper and looking out at the Empire State Building.

A few small quibbles - the lobby was under construction when we arrived, so for the first few days was closed and access to the elevators was through a narrow path by the construction site. It was an inconvenience, and it took away from the fun of returning home each day. And given that the room prices are quite high, it would have been nice if the hotel did something to acknowledge the inconvenience - like a free glass of wine or something small. And the first night we arrived we asked for some dining recommendations, stressing that we wanted something casual and affordable, and all the places recommended were outside our budget. I know that they likely assume everyone staying there is looking for more upscale dining choices, but it would have been nice to be given some other options since we asked for them (we found our own restaurant instead). After that, we didn't ask for assistance from the hotel staff, which was somewhat unfortunate because our last time in New York at a different hotel the staff were able to recommend excellent restaurants at a variety of prices, so we would have liked the same here. I also would have liked some information in the hotel about tourist attractions etc - like a rack with brochures. They may have chosen not to do this since it is a boutique hotel, but it would have been helpful. I also note that although our room was full of light during the day, it was quite dark at night, even with lights on, and the halls on our floor were also very dark. I know this is common in hotels, but I don't actually understand why.

These are small complaints though - we all enjoyed the hotel very much and would be happy to return there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Sorry, we were replacing the Lobby ceiling at the time but it was over in a few days. We are now back to normal and our Lobby is looking as beautiful as ever! We did in fact give out goodies during check-in!

I am surprised that our recommendations for restaurants were not right for you. There are so many options in New York! There is everything from fast food to the most expensive high end restaurants so I am not sure why this was the case.

Not to sound like a snob, but brochure racks do not belong in our Lobby!

Hope you will return soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have stayed in NYC a few times now (previously at the Ganservoort & Library) but the Morgans offered much better value. It is in a fantastic location, the beds are unbelievably comfortable, they have powerful, clean showers and they offer a great breakfast with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. The staff are incredibly helpful - Sarah & Johnny were both stars - and the rooms are very spacious for NYC. We were upgraded to a suite, so not sure how big the standard rooms are, but overall the hotel was a very pleasant place return to after each exhausting day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much and we look forward to the opening of our grand new Lounge which will certainly make us complete! I am glad to report that it is imminent.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience Reserve (the Lounge)!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Morgan's hotel for 5 nights in March. The staff kindly upgraded us as we were celebrating my boyfriends return from Afghanistan and my birthday. This really meant a lot, after we'd spent so long a part. I felt that it showed the staff really cared about the customer as an individual rather than as a credit card!

Our room was great...the bedroom itself isn't huge, but I think it's comparable to many other New York hotels and as long as it's not so small that it's impossible to use, this shouldn't really matter as you don't actually spend that much time in the room. We also had a living area which was really spacious and gave us a nice place to relax with just the two of us between dashing in and out. The shower was pretty good...nice and powerful! The beds are probably too comfortable...it was hard to get out of them in the morning which would have made it difficult to see the sights! The staff are really friendly and were always able to answer our questions about NYC and gave us some great recommendations.

The biggest selling point about this hotel is the view from the Pent House. Breakfast is served here and guests can go up for a drink during the day or evening. It has a spectacular view of the Empire State Building. With NYC being a built up city, it's difficult for many ordinary people that can't pay the earth to get a good view. Our room only had a view of the neighbouring brick wall! This would have been disappointing had it not been for the pent house view, which completely made up for it. It's really nice and rare to find a hotel that values all customer's equally in terms of rooms with a view, regardless of what type of room they can afford. I really hope the hotel keeps this unique aspect. It is one of the USP's of the place. If a proper bar was put up there, we probably would have spent most evenings there after coming back to the hotel! There is so much potential in this fantastic space.

Overall a great experience and we would definitely come again.

Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so happy for you - spending your birthday in New York with your boyfriend who just returned from serving in Afghanistan! That if very special indeed.

I hope you will return to celebrate many future occasions at Morgans!

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great location between 34th & 42nd Sts., 5-10 mins. walk to subway, on good bus route. Truly great staff (thanks for the restaurant recommendations, Sarah!). Our room was spacious with ample closets and drawers. However, the bathroom was minute, not helped by the fact that the basin was more to one side than necessary. The result was a cramped toilet, with the toilet roll holder nudging one set of ribs and the basin nudging the other shoulder - and I'm not a big woman! Breakfast, served in the penthouse, had a great selection of baked goods. But if you wanted more fibre than cornflakes offers, then you had to have a sweet granola. A higher fibre non-sweet flake or muesli would have been nice. There's luggage storage and a place to change and freshen up if your flight is later in the day. Only reason for not giving a 5* rating is the minor quibbles noted, a rather soft bed and a shortage of outlets to charge the many gadgets we all have. A power bar would have been a good idea.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AMLinVan
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy that Sarah was able to assist you with restaurant suggestions and I'm glad you liked the room you were in and the breakfast.

Your recommendation of a high fiber cereal has been taken to heart and we are currently looking at options. I love it when our guests make recommendations and we can follow through!

I will try to locate the room you were in to see if we can move things around a bit - unfortunately we cannot change the size of some of our bathrooms. The ones in Superior Rooms and Suites are larger however.

Also, there are many outlets right in the desk! There is a piece that lifts up and reveals lots of outlets! This is one of the reasons that I always encourage travelers to use a Bellman. It is not about carrying luggage, it is about getting a room inspection so that you know where everything is and how to use it.

Now you know for next time around. We hope to welcome you back!