“Great Understated Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #182 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Great Understated Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We visited New York last November, a week after the hurricane and the day after a snow storm. I'm a fairly regular visitor to NY, my sister lives on Long Island, but have never stayed at Morgans although I have eaten at the now defunct Asia De Cuba.

I'm a fan of contemporary and boutique hotels so was keen to stay at Morgans, we particularly like the anonymity it offers with absolutely no signage. Front of house staff we always available and keen to help, we were recommended Barbes Moroccan / French restuarant on the first night which we thought was excellent. The hotel was nearing the end of some major refurbishment so the 'reception' was located on the top floor, which was a bit of a faff but worked OK.

The room didn't disappoint, for New York it was large even though the bathroom could have been a bit bigger. Supremely comfortable bed and bedding also. I believe that you get what you pay for particularly in big cities so, whilst expensive, we thought well worth it.

Of course the location is superb, with fantastic views of the Empire State Building, being near to everything you need in the city.

Not a lot more to say really, other than worth every penny, a great hotel and I believe the renovations are now complete, so we are looking forward to visiting again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so very much! I am glad to say that the work behind the Front Desk in the Lobby was completed a few months back and we are back in the Lobby!

Hurricane Sandy was a particularly challenging time as we were in the part of New York that lost power. Thankfully, we were able to recover quickly right after it was restored.

It makes me very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel has been revamped since I stayed there last year with a spectacular penthouse breakfast room with view over to the Empire State Building. The rooms as before are extremely comfortable and the staff could not be more helpful.
There can be no doubt that the location is very convienient only 3 blocks from Grand Central Station. Just acrooss the road is the Madison Brasserrie which serves very good French inspired lunchs at a reaasoable price.

Room Tip: 3 floor corner suites are quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank iain s
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
The fact that we can keep the magic going makes me so happy! Thank you for your kind review. We have not even showcased our new Lounge yet so you will have to return to get another dose of the magic!

Kindest regards,

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Firstly I want to apologise for the late review.

My, wife, brother in-law, his wife and myself stayed here for 5 nights from the 17th December 2012.
Firstly lets start off with the positives:

Location - Brilliant, short walk to grand central, Empire State, Herald Sq, Bryant Park, Times Sq. Grand Central gets you to everywhere else you might choose to go so don't think there are better locations for a stay in NYC.

Rooms - We had booked a Superior Queen which was a good size for NYC with plenty of space around the bed and an average size bathroom that made the most of the space so it never felt cramped. However due to a mix up I'll explain later we spent 4 nights in a suite which was beyond our expectations! 2 rooms, bathroom with a bath! If you can afford it book it!

Staff - In a word, Brilliant. Initially the check in started with our only minor complaint. My wife and I had paid to upgrade to a Superior Room and requested a a room on a floor with a view of the Empire state (it was both of our birthdays while we were a way). When we checked in the hotel had also upgraded my brother in law as well which was a lovely touch for them. However they were checked into the larger room on the higher floor with the views we requested and paid for. I spoke with the front desk staff about this and due to the fact there were no superior rooms left they chose to upgrade us, for free, to a suite! Unbelievable! What a superb gesture. Not only that but I had ordered a bottle of champagne for out birthday night. But because I'm rubbish at planning I changed the time I wanted the bottle delivered 2 times. Now I'm sure the staff on the desk were inwardly cursing me (I couldn't blame them if they were) but they helped me out, never gave the impression I was a pain and also took the time to help us find an amazing steak house after our reservation fell through. Also the door man Scott is a credit.

Breakfast - Great selection of pastries, tea, coffee and juices served in the penthouse while the restaurant under goes a refurb. To be honest I preferred the relaxed feel about breakfast in the small lounges afforded by the penthouse and the views of the Empire State and NYC skyline are superb.

OK so now for the negatives:

We had to come home.

Now I know not everyone share my tastes and will have different levels of expectations but I really cant think of a nicer hotel to spend my NYC holiday in.

Room Tip: Stay as high up as you can and upgrade to a Superior if you can afford it.
2 Thank smiffymalone
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Well we can easily turn that 'negative' into a positive! Just come back! Thank you so much for your kind and thorough review. Believe me, you were not a pain. We are here to provide service.

I am so happy that your birthdays were pleasant and that you enjoyed New York and Morgans. Life should be filled with celebrations!

Hope to see you again.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Guys - I really enjoyed my stay. You passed all the 'single old(ish) lady traveler tests' (which aren't complicated or difficult but are harder to pass than you might imagine) - lovely to be given a spacious room where I could see sky; lovely to have a bath tub (though I'm glad my knees still bend enough to be able to get into it); lovely to have peace, quiet and clever (but not in anyway overwhelming) decor; lovely to have one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in anywhere; lovely to be cared for (it felt like that) by kind, friendly and helpful staff; lovely to have bagels and more than half-way decent coffee (and to be in a position of resisting the temptation to eat a second croissant) for breakfast; lovely to be able to see the Empire State Building from the little terrace on the 19th floor;lovely to be right on the M1 bus route to the Frick and the Met, and just next door to the Morgan Library. Thank you all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What an amazing review! You made me feel so wonderful today when I read it. I am reaching the age myself where comfort is important, and a sound sleep even more so!

I am glad that we were able to meet all the important standards that made your stay a good one and hope to welcome you once again!

Kindest regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Your question right now is:

Where to stay in NYC without having to worry about: bed bugs, the proximity of the hotel to the main attractions and settling for a hotel where quality does not meet price?

You hope to:

Stay in a beautiful place, with excellent & helpful staff, that will make your trip to New York memorable and give you one less thing to worry about. (And you also probably secretly hope to look forward to going to your room at night, even if you've been trying to convince yourself that "it's really just to spend the night";) )

My answer to your question and wishes is: Stay at the Morgans Hotel!!!!!!!

Location: Central - Point made. As for getting around, the staff is super helpful/efficient and they are really just genuinely nice people. I honestly couldn't help but smile as I overheard them assisting people - truly pleasant atmosphere.

Rooms: Super stylish, neat, white sheets (important to me; hate floral prints) comfortable and spacious. When I walked in I literally felt excited and had a huge smile on my face (isn't that the best feeling?)

Service: EXTREMELY nice and dynamic staff.

Additional perks: Continental Breakfast included!!! What's greater than starting the day with a nice coffee (really good by the way) with a wide selection of pastries, breads and basically what you would normally look for at home.

Note: I don't know if it is always included, or if it was specific to the deal I got, BUT it really isn't what makes or breaks the experience and I would be equally as excited about writing this review had it not been included.

Conclusion: Your expectations will be exceeded if you stay there.

3 Thank Nadine A
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
And Debbie says - thank you! Yes, Continental Breakfast is always included and has been since we opened our doors 29 years ago!

You made me both proud of my staff and hankering for a cup of nice hot strong coffee which I will get as soon as I finish writing.

We appreciate your thoughtful review and hope to welcome you back to Morgans!

Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed ar Morgans for 4 nights in February and it's really good spot. We were badly delayed on the way in and arrived at midnight. The receptionist, Maryana, and Scott the porter couldn't do enough for us, opening up the breakfast room and sorting some drinks out. It was just what we needed at the end of a tiring day.

The rooms are smart, monochrome design suites with very comfy beds - they're spacious for a city hotel. The bathroom in the superior room was cramped but stylish and the shower was powerful . Though a view isn't guaranteed this is made up for by the full height picture postcard view of the Empire State from the breakfast room which will take your breath away on first viewing and make you smile thereafter. Breakfast is included and tasty - loads of pastries and things that are bad for you. Make sure you take the chance to eat breakfast New York style in one of the many local diners at least once though.

All the staff were very helpful throughout and my only minor criticism is the concierge and front of house staff that we dealt with didn't have as much local knowledge about venues, travel and entertainment as you'd expect, Googling answers rather than knowing or refering us on. A small point but an important one - the place has free wifi so anyone can Google.

We'd certainly stay here again - it's not right in the bustling heart of Times Square but all that is 10 minutes walk away through some exciting parts of the city and because of the location you're guranteed a quite night's sleep.

Thanks Morgans, we'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank bigglobetrotter
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! It is amazing how you can leave the hectic fast pace of Times Square and walk over to the quieter Murray Hill area! That is what I love about New York; all the little neighborhoods.

You are absolutely right - the Front Desk team should not have to 'Google' to look up basics but sometimes we do get requests that we must look up. For example, I got one the other day for fishing gear. I had an idea of where to find this but I wanted to look up various options for our Guest.

I am delighted that you would stay again and hope to welcome you back!

Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed at the Morgans Hotel for a week, during a vacation trip to New York.
The stuff is very helpful and pleasant. Stayed in one of the Suites, very spacious and modern, the only downside was that it was a bit dark. The hotel was undergoing a small renovation so the breakfast was served in the penthouse, with amazing views of the Empire State Building. It is walking distance from the "centre" shopping section on 5th avenue and madison avenue. Would definitely stay there again!!

2 Thank Traveller_Muse
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
New York New York - so good they named it twice! Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you would return. We are nearly done with the renovation of our Lounge and you should come back to see it.

I love Cyprus and have been there many times! It is truly a beautiful island and I as I write this I am looking at a photo on the opposite wall of the cliffs in Paphos!

Kind regards and hope to welcome you back!