“Beautiful hotel in an excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Morgans New York Hotel

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #148 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Beautiful hotel in an excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've stayed at Morgans twice now and have really loved my time there. It's a beautiful hotel in a perfect location, within walking distance of many major attractions, subway stations, and Grand Central itself. This time, I could see the Empire State Building from my room and it was such a lovely sight to behold whenever I spent time in my room. The staff are amazing - everyone I encountered was friendly and generally very helpful, and they generally brightened my day whenever we crossed paths. They also made some great recommendations for services and restaurants in the area, which I'm very grateful for.

A big plus is the complimentary breakfast, which is just terrific. There's lots to choose from and it's all high-quality, delicious food. The wi-fi is also complimentary and very efficient. The rooms are very comfortable with excellent beds and lovely showers. The toiletries are of a really good quality as well.

There were a few minor issues I ran into, all involving how well the staff communicate with each other. I called one evening to request my shoes be picked up for the complimentary shoe-shine and was told someone would be at my room straight away; an hour passed and nobody turned up, so I called again and asked if someone could come by soon as I had an appointment for dinner. Another staff member assured me somebody would come by 'soon', but almost another hour passed and nobody arrived. The following morning I was in a rush and asked reception to relay a message to housekeeping, but the message obviously never got through to them as my request went unfulfilled. This was the one and only 'blip' when I stayed at Morgans and it wouldn't deter me from staying with them in future; it's just something that could have been better on this occasion.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Morgans and was glad I chose to return to their hotel. I'll definitely choose to stay with them again in future and look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Although I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am so sorry we missed a beat and your shoes did not get shined. Actually, when you mentioned this on our Guest Survey, we discussed it and yes, there was a breakdown of communication. We have resolved this.

Thank you for taking the time to describe Morgans and we hope to see you soon!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here over Christmas period. We arrived very early hours and had a quick and easy check in. Room was a decent size (for Manhattan) with a very comfortable bed, flat screen TV (would have liked a HDMI port), plenty of storage space, safe, mini bar. Bathroom had shower only but with large spray head and good quality soap, shampoo, shower gel. Hairdryer and umbrella in the closet if needed and ipod dock by the bed.
Our room was on the 18th floor with a view of the Empire State Building (looked great lit up for Christmas). Floor above (penthouse floor) was where breakfast was served (included in rate). Great selection of pastries, couple of cereal choices, bread and bagels for toasting, yoghurts, tea, coffee and juice. Upper level is where the food is, great view of city especially Empire State Building and 2 small outside terraces. Lower level has seating too and internet faclities. Tea/coffee free (alchohol/light snacks chargeable) here in the evenings.
Location is great, on Madison Avenue about 20 minutes stroll to Times Square. Loads of restaurants all over the place, Grand Central Station a few blocks north. A grocery store is next door.
Taxi from airport was flat fare of $52 + toll and tip, we booked a private car back which was $90 all inc. but this may have included a mark up for holiday time.
Morgans is excellent hotel and all staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: High floor facing Madison Avenue or 37th Street for good view of Empire State Building
    • 5 of 5 stars
Your review is so detailed! I love that because future travelers can read not only about the hotel but other tips as well!

Isn't New York magical during the Holidays! Even I, a jaded New Yorker loved my one stroll up Fifth Avenue this year! It was amazing.

I hope you return for another visit to the Big Apple!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights and had a wonderful time. Everyone was friendly, the rooms were really well designed and they have free coffee on offer during the whole day. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Ah... peace and coffee, what a great combination! Thank you so much for your kind review. I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

What a wonderful hotel. From the start the whole experience was one to savour, from the wonderful breakfast to the amazing stylish rooms not to mention the INCREDIBLE view from the penthouse at breakfast time. Take my advice and say here!

Room Tip: We stayed in the loft room... Simply Wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Your title made my New Year's Eve extra special! I so look forward to opening our fabulous new Lounge in 2013! It was quite a year with Hurricane Sandy and all. It is reviews like yours that makes it all worthwile. Happy New Year everyone!!!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very good located hotel in a simple style. Breakfast room on top of the hotel is fantastique with view to the Empire State Building. Breakfast is too simple, choice could be better. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Superior Room is ok and the room size is compared with other New York Hotels comfortable. Standard R...
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your kind review. To all our wonderful Europeans out there - American Continental Breakfast is different to a European Continental. We do not serve cheese and cold cuts. We do however have great New York bagels, pastry, cereal, Greek yogurt etc. Breakfast in New York can set you back about $25 so it is pretty good to get something complimentary. I do appreciate everyone's input regarding this but as they say 'when in Rome...'

Kindest regards and Happy New Year!

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I entered into correspondence with Maryna before we arrived to the time we left after a 5 night stay we received nothing but great service at Morgans Hotel NYC. From the doormen Brian and Tom to Maryna and Kristen on Reception (to name just a few) we were superbly looked after and the location of the hotel was just great. The help yourself continental breakfast set us up each day and despite the restaurant and bar being unavailable undergoing refurb, we found plenty of great bars and restaurants nearby to fill the gap. The best part of our stay was the friendliness and professionalism of the staff (especially the above named) and we would definitely stay at Morgans again - highly recommended

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank APR16
I love your review! Thank you so very much. I also think that friendly service is more important than anything else. Thank you for acknowledging our staff; it is wonderful that you remembered their names. What a way to end the year; you make me proud and thankful!

Kindest regards and Happy New Year!!!

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here one night as a gift to my boyfriend the day he returned from a trip abroad. Thought the whole feel of the hotel was really New York. It's a small hotel by Ian Schrager. I remember black and white checkers being a motif in the hotel, but really updated and clean. It's very intimate and romantic, if you want a little hideaway in such a fast city. I don't recommend it to large people, as it is a tight squeeze. Or to people who are used to expansive interiors.

• 5 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
What a nice way for you to treat your boyfriend from his overseas trip! I am delighted that you found Morgans to be a 'little hideaway' in this fast paced city! Indeed, Morgans was founded by Ian Schrager and Steve Rubell nearly 30 years ago. We are now a public traded company but we are still going strong! We continue to adhere to those standards that our Founders put in place - and we strive to be New York's 'quintessential Boutique Hotel'.

We hope to see you again!