“Quirky sophisticated boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morgans New York Hotel

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #145 of 479 Hotels in New York City
New York, NY
“Quirky sophisticated boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed here one night as a gift to my boyfriend the day he returned from a trip abroad. Thought the whole feel of the hotel was really New York. It's a small hotel by Ian Schrager. I remember black and white checkers being a motif in the hotel, but really updated and clean. It's very intimate and romantic, if you want a little hideaway in such a fast city. I don't recommend it to large people, as it is a tight squeeze. Or to people who are used to expansive interiors.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
What a nice way for you to treat your boyfriend from his overseas trip! I am delighted that you found Morgans to be a 'little hideaway' in this fast paced city! Indeed, Morgans was founded by Ian Schrager and Steve Rubell nearly 30 years ago. We are now a public traded company but we are still going strong! We continue to adhere to those standards that our Founders put in place - and we strive to be New York's 'quintessential Boutique Hotel'.

We hope to see you again!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
Birstwith
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was a 50th birthday gift from my daughter given to me in May. We have been looking forward to it for months and we were not disappointed.On arrival we were asked if we wanted to change to twin beds as when Becky had booked there was only a Queen available. The room was lovely and clean and the beds were so comfortable. I splept better there than I do at home! The breakfasts were also fresh and you could get a hot drink up to 10.30 at night. The hotel is not obvious as you walk up to it so you can easily miss it.However it is in an ideal situation for all of the Manhattan sites and the staff are all warm and friendly. The shower was also wonderful! We hope to visit again soon and we would definitely recommend MORGANS.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you so much!!! What a great gift for your landmark birthday! I turned 50 a few years back and it actually felt great. It makes me happy that you spent such a special occasion at Morgans. You must visit us again. Our Lounge is nearly open and I think you will love it!

I wish you and all the Trip Advisor Readers and Reviewers a Happy and Healthy 2013!!!

Western Galilee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at numerous NYC hotels, I chose this one based on my research and attempts to secure the very best for my week-long birthday celebration vacation in the Big Apple. This hotel is simply outstanding. From the moment I arrived (two days ago, five more to go), I have paid attention to almost every detail and have concluded that this is, by far, the best establishment I have visited in this city. The service is awesome. Everyone really cares and go out of their way to help - any request, any time. The penthouse "living room" where we are enjoying a quality continental breakfast in a laid-back environment is an impressive feature of this hotel. The rooms are better than anywhere I have stayed and guess what, no drab and predictable brown/beige decor! Two-toned grey and cream in a spacious room, a very comfortable bed and fully loaded with every comfort for our stay. It's bright, clean and very comfortable in design and furnishings. I cannot over-praise this establishment and I'm looking forward to the rest of my stay and - most probably - will not be looking for another NY hotel for future visits. This is perfect and...OUTSTANDING.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Galila
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review!

I am so happy that you spent your birthday in New York. Such fun!

We like to provide great service but not too 'formal' ; we prefer to be friendly. As I have often stated, there is a hotel out there for everyone based on their preferences. We are delighted that you prefer ours!

We wish you a Happy and Healthy 2013!

Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a good little hotel in a very convenient location on Madison Avenue. The staff are pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable and keen to help. The room we had was compact, though it was warm, comfortable and cosy and the shower was fantastic and the air conditioning unit was a little loud. The continental breakfast in the penthouse was very good for starting the day off and there were great views over the Manhattan skyline.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review! This is a special time of year; the city is lit up with Holiday lights and there is a very positive energy in the air! Mind you, the shops are full and it is a little difficult to get around but the holidays in New York are magnificent! Hope you return in the future to experience it again!

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had a very pleasant one week stay at Morgans in NYC. Good location, pleasant rooms, basic continental breakfast, very helpful staff! Upon arrival my cousin and I were given a room with a queen size bed, but asked for a twin bed room since we did not want to share a bed. As they did not have availability for that night they upgraded us to a suite for the night and were moved to a twin bed room the next day. They were very understanding and acted swiftly to take care of our request. Todd at the reception made several reservatios for us at good restaurants. Overall a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much! Yes, Todd has been here for over a decade and is well connected as far as restaurants, shows etc.

I am very happy that we were able to work this out for you.

Kind regards,

Scottsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed for Thanksgiving week. We chose the location for easy access to Grand Central and cabs and were not disappointed. It was even a short walk to Macy's for Black Friday sales. It's a safe neighborhood with two excellent restaurants right across the street and many more nearby. A free substantial continental breakfast and free wifi in the rooms take the sting out of the rates.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Value is so important, especially these days!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sometimes a croissant and coffee will cost you $15 in this city! I think complimentary Continental Breakfast goes a long way!

I hope you will return to New York soon. Lots of sales in January as well!

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a gem of a find. Got in quite late and the interesting thing was there is no blatant sign infront of the property. You get in and it feels like you are coming home to your highrise flat in NY! I like that! Greeted by friendly guest service agent Michael and a lovely lady who welcomed me. I requested a room with a view and when I was brought up to my room, the sub PH to boot! :) and rolled up the blinds... and voila.. its the Empire State Building! THAT made my day! Thank you!!
It got better..! The next day I went up one floor to the PH for breakfast (which btw is included with the room charge plus wifi.. another thing I really like!) and was again floored with the atmosphere and just looking from the glass ceiling the blue skies! I said to myself.. this is it!
On my last day which I made a free day from work I was helped very eagerly by one of the servers who knew NY like the back of his hand! Plotting the map recommending where to go, etc.
I felt so welcomed and taken care of in this property. My room was small (it is NY anyhow so that's a given) but had all the amenities I needed. Bed was comfortable. The AC was not working the first night but they fixed it right away when I mentioned it the next day.
I plan to return and make this my preferred place to stay when in NY! :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
There is such enthusiasm in your Review! It really set me off to a great start today. I must say, even as a New Yorker the skyline still takes my breath away. Sometimes I think about how 100 years ago, Manhattan was like a town and 200 years ago it was a forest! It is amazing what has grown out of the efforts of the first settlers. Anyway, that has nothing to do with this forum (I tend to go off on tangents sometimes!).

Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again.