“Wonderful weekend in NYC”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #197 of 467 Hotels in New York City
NC
“Wonderful weekend in NYC”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I always read reviews before making a decision on hotels so I appreciate detail and accuracy - I want this to be helpful to others! The Morgan Hotel is by far the best hotel we have stayed at in NYC. Our Loft room and bathroom was impressivly large and tastefully decorated. Beds comfortable and above all, everything was super clean. Although this is an older building, the facility has been updated. After a day out exploring the city & visiting with family, coming back to the hotel felt like coming home to one's own apartment on Madison Avenue. The breakfast was a welcome surprise as was the lovely breakfast room itself. I can't say enough about the staff - they were always helpful, friendly & treated us as welcomed guests. Valet parking was convenient & well priced. The location is also great. We have family in NYC and we will definately be back to the Morgan. Loved it!

Room Tip: Loft rooms are spacious and well decortaed - bathroom had a tub as well as a seperate shower.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Wow!!! You are absolutely right - we want this forum to be accurate. The last thing I want at Morgans is for someone to stay and not be happy here. There is a hotel out there for everyone and it pays to do one's homework.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write down your thoughts and experience at Morgans.

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Brilliant, stylish hotel with a residence feeling. Great design and rooms, Super friendly staff - my preferred hotel in the city from now on

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ulrike K
Short but sweet! Thank you so much for your wonderful description of our beloved Morgans! Sorry to sound corny but your message really made me feel like we are creating a great experience for our guests and that is what this is all about!

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed May 15, 2012

went to stay for one night with my hubby, shower was beautiful..one of those waterfall ones. but if you're looking for a hotel name while driving up madison avenue, which is stressful enough as it is, dont bother as there is no hotel name out front..just the street number. its on purpose, so it feels more like home. as a visitor, i prefer to have the name on front so when i stumble out of a bicycle rickshaw at 3 am drunk i know where i am.

the bed was super comfy, i wanted to take it home with me. we had a 2 room suite, it was ok..lots of comfy pillows.

the free breakfast was nice as it ended at noon, not at 10 am like other hotels.....we never make it to those as who wants to get out of bed that early for a bagel?? it was the basics, creeal, fruit, pastrys...they were pretty bland though.

but seriously, when you cant figure out how to work the lights in the bathroom when youre sober, its too difficult. too confusing...just give me a switch!!

all in all it was a ok place, the staff was friendly.

1 Thank singbluesilver
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had a good stay. You are right - we do not have a sign in front of the hotel. People do find us however!

We get our pastries from Balthazar - one of the finest places in the city so I am surprised you found them bland.

Really, you do not need a PhD to work the lights - something that I always do when arriving at a new hotel is to ask for a Bellman whether I have lots of luggage or not. I find it is so helpful to get a 'room orientation'. I often fumble with lights and thermostats myself so it is always good to get a little tour!

Hope you have a great summer!

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in November (yes this review is long overdue!) with my sister to celebrate her 40th birthday. It is a lovely hotel with wonderfully attentive staff. Our room was lovely and spacious by NY standards and the beds so comfy it was hard to get up in the morning! The continental breakfast was a real bonus as was the lounge on the first floor which meant we could have a nice cup of tea whilst setting up and using our newly purchased iPads. My only slight criticism would be the lack of lighting in the room - we were on the 12th floor overlooking the street but the room was still a little dark. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, also if it's a special occasion tell the hotel beforehand - we did and g...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
I love that you set up your I-pads in the Living Room - what fun!!! I am pretty addicted to mine!

Thank you for your kind review. If we were able to provide you with some great memories for your sister's birthday, it makes me happy.

Hope to see you again some time!

Staffordshire
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights. The staff were very helpful and pleasant and our room was lovely - the bed was comfortable. Also the complimentary breakfast each morning was very pleasant. One of the best things about the hotel is its excellent location on Madison Avenue and 38th Street. The Empire State Building is very close as is Grand Central Station and many other attractions shops and places to eat. I used the fitness room one morning. We recommend the hotel as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front which is slightly noisy as it is a busy road but to be honest we hardly n...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so happy that you found our location worked well. I do love walking around cities, it is the best way to see everything and to get a feel for the city. We are very lucky to be in a great location for both business and leisure travel.

Please do come back soon to see us again!

Bath
Reviewed May 8, 2012

You would pass right by Morgans unless you knew it was there. The small lobby is followed by a small reception area and small rooms, but what the hotel lacks in size, it makes up for with good quality finishing and friendliness.

Our room on the 15th floor had a view of downtown Manhattan, and we could kneel on the inset sofa and spend time looking out at leisure. The bed was comfortable, though the room was rather hot and we didn't sleep so well because of it. A dodgy thermostat that turned 'cool' into 'hot' while we were sleeping was just terrible, and even though the staff didn't fix it during our three-night stay, they tried their best to figure it out and even offered us another room.

The walk-in shower was lovely (drench-style) and we had nice toiletries to choose from. The room had a fridge for guest use, as well as the standard expensive fridge full of goodies, and there was a safe for our valuables. The TV was HD and offered pay-per-view content, as well as a bunch of regular channels. We had free wifi access, which was stable and relatively fast.

Breakfast was a nice treat. You're in a large room with a central 'island' that houses the food, such as cereals, coffee, juice, pastries, bagels, fresh fruit, yogurt etc. The music is gentle and awakening, and the mood is like an old night club, complete with booths as well as generic tables. Everything is clean and well presented, though the breakfast staff are quiet and not as friendly as the rest of the staff in the hotel.

Our doorman was a great guy: always friendly and conversational, and the guy who tried to fix our thermostat was genuine and professional. The reception staff were also spot-on.

Location is brilliant, being a couple of blocks away from Grand Central Terminal – a gateway to the rest of Manhattan. We would stay at Morgans again.

Room Tip: Grab a south-facing room on the top floor, which offers nice views of downtown Manhattan.
1 Thank Shaun W
Thank you so much for your fair review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed many of the features of the hotel, but dissapointed that we were not able to fix the thermostat in that room. I did see that we took a room out of order upon your departure for thermostat replacement so I am sure that was the one in question.

Glad to hear that otherwise you had a good stay and hope you will return!

Kind regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was our 2nd stay at Morgan's and it was even better than we'd remembered! Our room was well-appointed and comfortable, with plenty of closet and drawer space. The staff was friendly, thoughtful, and made us feel welcome and special, greeting us by name every time we arrived or left the hotel. We plan to make Morgan's our "go-to" hotel every time we visit NYC!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
I was not feeling very well today until I read your review! It made my sore throat go away! Thank you so very much. It is a testament to a hotel when a guest returns, especially with so many options in New York!

We look forward to welcoming you back for a third stay!