“Ideal for Business and Leisure”

Morgans New York Hotel
Ranked #190 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Puyloubier, France
“Ideal for Business and Leisure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I travel to New York on business at least twice a month, and I always try to stay at Morgan's Hotel. For business, it is ideally located in lower midtown. However, as a boutique hotel, on a relatively quiet block of Madison, it is a far cry from the alienating business hotels nearby. Every room I've been in at Morgan's hotel is comfortable and calm; it's easy to feel at home there. The staff is GREAT, probably the best I've seen in New York City. I work for an art museum in New York, and it's important for me to be near cultural sites. This hotel is perfect: it's easy for me to get to the art galleries in Chelsea (a short bus ride across town); to walk to MoMA; see the Morgan Museum and Library next door; or go the the Museum mile on 5th avenue (again an easy bus ride) and many other locations. It couldn't be better.

Room Tip: Almost all the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
It is wonderful that you feel we are ideal for both business and leisure travel. Thank you very much for pointing out so many details and especially great advice for art lovers traveling to New York!

We hope to welcome you back soon!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at Morgans when I was in New York on a business trip in August 2010. The hotel was more than adequate for my needs. I arrived in the morning and my room was not ready, so I went to the lounge where there was wifi access so I could do some work before I had to leave for some meetings. The bellman held my bags until I returned later in the afternoon. My hotel room was small, but well appointed a clean. It had absolutely no view, as it faced a brick wall that was on the other side of an alley. The complimentary continental breakfast was quite good, bagels, juice and coffee, which is all I really want. The location (Murray Hill) was good, but a little bit of a walk to get to any of the tourist stuff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. We have a nice mix of guests - some who are here on business and others who are on vacation. The WIFI in the Living Room is something our guests use quite frequently. There is also free WIFI in the Breakfast Room which allows them to catch up in the morning.

New York has expanded over the years - in the 80's and 90's, people would stick to mid-town. Now they are exploring all of the city - uptown and downtown. Our location in the city center is actually quite convenient for this sort of exploration. Personally, I love walking on Fifth Avenue from here all the way to Central Park - it is a lovely walk.

Hope to see you again soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our first visit to the Morgans hotel in New York, we arrived late evening for check in and found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. The hallways to our room were narrow and dark with dimmed lighting but we were pleasantly surprised with our room,it was large,very clean and contemporary with a very comfortable bed. The buffett breakfast was a great way to start the day, everything you needed. The living room on the fourth floor was a very comfortable area to relax with free tea and coffee. The hotel was in a great location 5 mins walk to Empire State Building and Macys, 10 mins to Times Square and Grand Central Station. Would stay at the Morgans again we had a great holiday in New York, Alan and Angela England.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much Alan and Angela! In one paragraph, you have captured the essence of Morgans and given future travelers a lot of information.

I am delighted that you had a great holiday and look forward to welcoming you back!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

I usually don't write reviews but this hotel deserved the time. Great location, EXCELLENT service, good design without being pretentious, it meets the needs of contemporary travelers. Amenities have been well thought and are definitely a plus – lounge area + art books + tv + free wireless Fitness and spa. Continental Breakfast included – delicious fresh fruit and coffee to go if you go on a business trip. I booked it a few months in advance and got a great rate. Worth each penny I paid, and a little more... I definitely recommend it for either business or leisure

1 Thank Designerfreak
What a wonderful review! Thank you so very much. I love the way you write. It is direct and simultaneously eloquent!

When in NY on business, it is so important that everything runs smoothly. Time is limited and the last thing you should worry about is your hotel stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed it!

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The location was good being slightly off the busy, touristy area - yet close enough to walk. We appreciated being close to Times Square and Central Park, but being able to escape the noise and traffic.

Our room was a King Suite, and although the size was decent for NYC standards, the room was very dark and impractical. Our room had windows on each side in the living room and in the bedroom. Neither had any view, nor let any light in. I understand that this is NYC as the manager stated in previous responses, and the area is very densely populated, but there are many other hotels in the same price category that are taller and do offer some light and views. Perhaps you can request a higher floor or pay even more than we already did, but the overall darkness in the room made for a very depressing atmosphere. Also, despite being designed by a "famous" designer, some practical things were overlooked: proper lighting, a normal sized clock, and a reasonable desk/workspace to get work done if there on business.

We found to staff to be hit or miss in terms of customer service. On the positive side, when checking in they were helpful and attentive, and offered to help with bags. On the negative side, however, either they were completely in your face trying to make small talk about the weather as you walk in toward the elevator or caught up in their own conversations with each other and not paying attention to guests coming or going.

The positive aspects of the hotel were the gym, which was great for a hotel gym, the coffee available all day, and the location. Free breakfast may also be a perk for some. For us, we didn't really take advantage of it other than a coffee as there were not many options available for us. Since that is a personal diet issue, we cannot fault the hotel. While breakfast is a perk, with the amount being spent on the room at this hotel, I wouldn't say this should be a selling point in your decision to stay at this hotel since you could get a similar breakfast at a nearby coffee shop or bagel place for under $10. Another positive was the quality products in the bathroom and availability of umbrellas in every room. These items are not unique to this hotel, in fact most offer the same, but at least it was not overlooked.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is fine. Each traveller is different, hence the variations in reviews - some good some bad. I wouldn't believe anyone who says this hotel is terrible - it is not. But at the same time, know your own preferences and you could love this hotel. Nothing would necessarily draw us back, but at the same time nothing happened to make us say that we would never stay there again. I guess if there was a deal, we would consider it. But for the price we would try other hotels in the area like the new Setai which looks wonderful.

Room Tip: Request a high floor to get some light.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WtoCtoTO
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Many thanks for your review. While 'average' is not something I like to hear, I do understand some of the points you make. We cannot guarantee a great view for everyone. I will boldly state this right here on this forum. I do not like to build up expectations and then dissapoint.

You are absolutely right in stating that everyone has different tastes and expectations. I am not sure however, being a New Yorker where I can get a similar breakfast for under $10. I do think we offer a wide variety of items and by the time you pay tax and gratuity, you would be up to $15 or $20 in a Manhattan location.

Finally, I do think that if you look carefully, you will find that the hotel you mention is in quite a different price point. It is a lovely property however!

Canton of Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

This is a true find for me in New York City, excellent location, clean rooms, friendly staff, and a good and modern fitness. Although I didn't use it, they have a great lounge/living room which looked great. I really have to compliment the staff, they were exceptionally responsive and friendly.

My only criticisms are minor ones: the drain in my shower didn't really drain, so I could only take 3-4 minute showers before the bathroom began to flood. I called, but if they did do maintenance on it, it wasn't effective. The digital TV signal was sporadic, sometimes channels were not available, or frozen with bad digital signal. Also, the room doors seem to slam with some intensity, which can cause noise every now and then. The wireless internet was not free, $10/day, which is a bit much.

Otherwise a great experience and I probably will return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Indeed cable TV did not work properly for a 24-hour period. The entire area was experiencing difficulties but thankfully everything is now working properly. We were lucky that our area of the city did not experience a full brown-out with those 104 degree days! Other areas of the city were not so lucky.

I am sorry about the problem with the drain in your shower. I did see your comment in our Guest Feedback and the Engineer did go up but forgot to leave a card indicating that he had been there. The problem required more than a quick fix and that room has been since taken out of order for repairs.

I am delighted that you felt the staff deserved a compliment from you and hope your next stay is a better one!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was our first trip to NY and we lucked into a great find at Morgans on Madison avenue. It is placed nicely a couple of blocks from Grand Central with a convenience store next door, pharmacy across the road and plenty of bars and restaurants located closeby. The hotel has good sized rooms that allowed a place to relax without feeling confined to a tiny hotel room. The only problem that we had was a mini bar fridge that didnt work but we had a portable fridge put into our room for our stay within an hour or so of asking.The hotel staff were wonderful (a special mention to Conlon and Tom) in helping with anything that we needed especially advice on directions,attractions and places to eat. Within the hotel is Asia de Cuba which is a fantastic restaurant that has outstanding food (make sure you are hungry though because even the 'taster' option on the menu provides the equivalent of 3 main meals plus starters and desserts). We stayed here for 10 nights and then moved to another hotel in NY for 3 nights, but we wished we had booked this hotel for the whole time. If you are looking for a good quality hotel that provides exceptional service then Morgans on Madison avenue is the place to go, we will definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you so very much for this review and for mentioning Conlan and Thomas. They are truly gems!

It gives me great satisfaction that you enjoyed Morgans on your first trip to New York and that you went away with great memories.

Sometimes, when life gets hectic I think about moments during my vacations and it is amazing how I can relive those moments over and over again! We need to be able to 'get away' and experience something completely different.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Morgans soon!