1,557 results
All reviews bathrooms and showers steam room grand central station laundry room rooms are small united nations mini fridge location was perfect rockefeller center tv subway cvs hangers deli ave midtown
Selected filters
Reviewed June 12, 2019

Near 47th and Third Avenue, maybe a ten minute walk to Grand Central. Two bed rooms were cozy, and even had a small flat screen tv. Large workout area on main floor. Older but clean bathrooms. Food on Third Avenue.

Date of stay: June 2019
EnriqueC2256, General Manager at The Vanderbilt YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your experience

Reviewed June 5, 2019

I used to stay at the YMCA all the time. As in my last review, the last time i stayed, the keys didnt work overnight TWICE in my 11 night stay.. for a girl to be walking around in her PJs with no access to a toilet all night (security dont have the facility to replace your key so they have to let you in with a master key which is frankly ridiculous).

I have just checked the prices for a trip in september as an option to stay there and it appears that, for 11 nights, the stay has gone up by $500, making the hotel ridiculously expensive for what it is. On top of this, there is a $10 a day charge to use the gym. There is NO option to opt out of this. You have to pay it if you want to stay. Even if you arent using the gym. In my many stays here and never once used the gym. Im on holiday in NYC. Why would I be using up my time in a gym?

The rooms are small. Im talking not enough to lay a carry on suitcase on the floor. The toilets have never been very clean and there are only 2 for women for a floor of at least 30 rooms. The staff are, in general, quite rude.

On the whole, I had been staying at this establishment annually for over 10 years. The key issue combined with the cost has made me move else where for a far more acceptable price for what they are offering. Look around.. there are places in the city that offer shared bathrooms that are MUCH better.

Room tip: Rip off in the middle of Manhattan
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank WonderfulMH
Reviewed June 4, 2019

I recently switched from the West Side YMCA to the Vanderbilt and boy did I regret it! Let me list the ways.
First of all theres ONE overhead bright white light,NO lamp, with the West side there was which made things so much nicer. So you're sitting in brutal light or pitch black.
I walked into my room to see ONE towel, ONE thin blanket and no soap. Hmm west side provides you with at least two towels, soap and i got 3 blankets.
I left that day to go sight seeing only to come back to a room that had not been touched by housekeeping, even though they say they do daily housekeeping... I actually passed the housekeeper on my way out....
But all those things combined do not compare to my door shaking every single time someone opened and closed a bathroom door or they're own door on my floor. My door shook. I have video of it but cannot upload to here. The slamming of doors was constant during the night and it was loud.
The west side is only like $20 more per night and trust me you wanna pay it. Bigger rooms, cafe downstairs and a far superior location and NO noise of closing doors.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Dene477
Reviewed May 29, 2019

Hotel with excellent location in Manhattan, a few minutes walk from Grand Central, Times Sqr, United Nations or Rockefeller Center. Subway station four blocks on the 51st with Lexington. The rooms are very fair in size, and let's not talk about the spartan decoration, more typical of a hostel, but with the privacy of having your own room. The best? The location and the price. Worst? The bathroom and showers, although clean, are shared.
The hotel has a gym at ground floor you can use when a guest of the hotel... and in the basement, you'll find a pool (I don't know if for guests) and a dry sauna and another wet sauna, each with showers at its side ... with an atmosphere that in the evening was clearly gay ...For a lot of people this may be a bonus.

Date of stay: May 2019
EnriqueC2256, General Manager at The Vanderbilt YMCA, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2019

Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

The beds were good. Besides that it was a minimal comfortable stay at the Vanderbilt YMCA. For we were close to the elevators, it was quite noisy. Of not guests were passing by it was the loud noices of walkie-talkies or slamming of room doors that would keep u awake.
We had a double-room, not knowing it wasnt a twin bed but a bunkbed. Our room had no tv-remote and the light goes on by motion-sensor. We had to tape it over to avoid turning the light on when turning in bed.

Most uncomfortable fact was that there were only two showers for men and one (gender neutral) shower on the whole floor with approx. 30 rooms.

We adjusted our behaviour by overtaping the light sensor, using earplugs to sleep and shower around 6pm.
The beds were fine, but next time I would up my spendings and go to a proper hotel instead.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple