The Vanderbilt YMCA
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
Wyndham Midtown 45(New York City)
  • Fitness center
  • Breakfast included
The Bernic Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Roger Smith Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Oakwood Cosmopolitan(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
  • Fitness center
1,390 results
All reviewsgrand central stationsteam roomlaundry roomunited nationsrooms are smallmini fridgeair conditionerbig appleempire state buildinglocation was perfectrockefeller centersubwaydeliavejfk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I'm fussy when it comes to hostels. I like them to be good value and most of all clean! The YMCA in Manhattan was this and more. It is in an amazing location near everything from Times Square, Grand Central Station, Madame Tussauds, good pubs and excellent restaurants. Considering New York is considered an expensive city to stay in, the YMCA was not. Its good value and has great facilities such as a brilliant gym and a swimming pool. It really is a top place to stay if your someone with a budget. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Just brilliant!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatrickO2020
Reviewed February 20, 2014

As two UK graduates visiting The BIg Apple for a week, this place was ideal for those on a budget. 5mins walk from Times Square and Central Station, I endorse the YMCA Vanderbilt for people just looking for a bit of shut eye for the city that never sleeps.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2014

good value for money. nothing fancy nor spacious or particularly quiet but clean, efficient with very friendly staff. if you spend your time outside like me this is the best location for the traveller on a budget. i mean the central location is priceless! walking distance to grand central and midtown sights! felt very safe on my own even walking around in the middle of the night. there is a gym which i didnt use. staff will book you a shuttle service to the airport and basically help you with all sorts of enquiries.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank pinkhotstone
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Vanderbilt YMCA is by far the best option I have had in NYC, I try to visit the city every year, mostly likely with my sister.
Unfortunately, we couldn't stay the 2 nights there :( YMCA didnt have space for our first night, so we had to stay in very very bad hotel in lower east side.

But when we arrived in the YMCA and they told us we could use all the installations such as: sauna, cardio machines, classes, pool and I believe there was free wifi with you room.

Everything is very clean, the dormitories are small but comfortable; with a mini fridge very useful when youre staying for a long time and need to store any snacks.

I will definitely come back here! I love it!

Front desk people are not so nice, at least in my experience they weren't there was a lack of charm there.

There was an excellent Pub restaurant also, one block down where food was delicious.
Also, there is not breakfast included but I wasn't expecting to get one, is NYC...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Valen872014
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Vanderbilt YMCA on 47th St. between Third and Second Avenues is a real NYC treasure. The location is terrific. It's just down the street from the United Nations and only a few blocks from Grand Central and Times Square. There are subway stops in Grand Central, of course, and the 51st St. station is also nearby on Third Ave. You can catch buses on Second Ave. that will take you all the way down to the tip of Manhattan. There are a number of good restaurants nearby, with a variety of price ranges. I like Ali Baba's on the corner of Second and 47th. The rates for the rooms are reasonable, instead of insane like most NYC hotel prices. Your room will be small but clean and bright with a TV, minuscule closet, and a desk. The bathrooms are collective, with a number of sinks and stalls, but there are private shower rooms, which can be locked for safety's sake, though I never had any bad vibes from the place in the number of visits that I have made there since 1974. The views from the rooms facing the street are nice. Generally, the place is probably much like a well-run (i.e., quiet) college dormitory. It was founded by the Vanderbilt family for the employees of their New York Central to use for overnight stays back in the Golden Age of railroading. Now it is very popular with young European and Asian wandervogeln. (Forgive my spelling, if it's wrong!) I recommend the Vanderbilt highly to anyone who wants to enjoy a few days in NYC without spending a fortune.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo