“Great Location, great gym, comfortable rooms”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
New York City, New York
“Great Location, great gym, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had a very good three week stay at the hostel with a comfortable room that included TV and Fridge and close to the shared bathroom and showers. I loved being able to use the gym which has two pools as well as equipment and lots of classes and was able to do water aerobics several nights.They are reasonably priced and the staff was very nice to me. The location is incredible just a block from the United Nations and the East River and a quick 10 minute or less walk to Grand Central station. The wifi was free and they have two lounges for relaxing outside your room and there is also a large laundry room where you can wash and dry clothes for free a great advantage. I would recommend it to any budget travel who wants to be in Midtown.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Happytravels017

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Whitley Bay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

It is a hostel so no one was expecting The Ritz. The rooms were basic but clean, the staff were on hand to help and it did have modern facilities. It is in a good location but to be honest for me any where in New York City would have been a good location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matthew P
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hostel owners: with a small effort you could make it great

I stayed there with my university students (architectural field-trip in NY) so the excellent location mattered.

So:
Location: Excellent!
Staff: Most of them very helpful
Rooms: Very small and basic, but ok..
Problem: Some of the rooms had bed bugs. Don't freak out - only a few of the rooms, and we were a big group - so the problem is not too spread.

Hostel owners/managers: Please get rid of the bed bugs and we may bring our students again.
Also: Please refurbish the shower rooms so that there a little bit more privacy.

Room Tip: - Check VERY carefully that there are no bed bugs in/on/under the mattress+pillows before you move y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank nat k

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staying at Vanderbilt YMCA changed my idea about a "non profit" organization. I was hoping for a friendly and fun place, I got the opposite. Mainly foreigner students, staying monthly.
The staff made me feel horrible, like if they were doing me a favor just by talking to me. The building itself so as the location, were nice and exactly what you paid for. For the staff, I rather pay more than stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the 4th floor, same as the bathroom, but no internet signal working.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank melo_adriana
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was the beginning stop for our trip around America. All we basically did was sleep and store our luggage in the room.

Room; very small but does come kitted out with a bunk bed, fridge, TV and air con. It was clean and tidy to an exceptable standard. You get fresh sheets and fresh towels each morning. Nothing got stolen. I would say security is very high, feels very safe. Very quiet.

Shared toilets and showers; was not sure about this before we went but they were always very clean. Advice I would take flip flops because it can be a little walk to the showers.

Reception; they are a gym reception aswell and they are not overly helpful to hostel guests. Check in was quick but try not to go down at peak gym times. Safety deposit boxes are available however you can really only store a passport and money in them as they are quiet small.

Location; great location, you could walk to most places however it is located about 3 blocks away from the nearest subway station which we got a 7 day pass for $30 and that gives you unlimited rides. I personally think this is the best and easiest way to get around NYC. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to Times Square.

We also used the laundry room which was very handy and cheap.

For NYC the cost could not be beaten. Hotels are very expensive and for the amount of time you will spend in them I didn't want to spend out that much.

So for the price and location great little place to stay just remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank ChuckCarter
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights starting the 6th of June for the start of our Round The World Trip. We arrived late on the first day and were checked in quickly.
[The front desk staff we found to be quite rude and reluctant to help at times.]

The room was a basic bunk bed room which had a desk, tv, fridge and cupboard space.
We paid $100 a night to stay here. We didnt go here with high expectations and were pleasantly surprised with how clean the rooms and bathrooms were. Also the Aircon was great worked well and cooled the room down super fast. [Floor 5 room 505]
We were also so glad that it was a quiet hostel and found it very easy to sleep each night. We used the communal kitchen which had a basic hob pans and a microwave, it was clean what more can you ask for?
The location we found to be very good. We walked everywhere from Grand Central Station to times square and central park.

Overall as I said in the title you get what you pay for its a space to keep your luggage safe and rest your head in the evening.

Room Tip: Floor 5 room 505 Great clean bathrooms on the floor and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraCollins93
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've stayed in hostels before and all have been fine so I thought this would be great as it was in New York and didn't expect there to be really poor places to stay. Conceirge was helpful but as for the rest of the staff (particular front desk) they weren't friendly and a bit miserable (great first impression of NY). I had heard that the hostel was nice enough to stay in so I had good expectations but as I opened my door I was extremely disapointed. It was cold, dark and old. There was JUST enough room to open my suitcase and lay it on the ground. I lay on the bed for literally a few minutes where I was bitten and it was so awful I couldn't bare to have the sheets over me but instead covered myself up in warm clothes. There seemed to be only 2 working showers for women on the 5th floor and 2 toilets. They seemed clean enough but another had collapsed and was out of use. I disliked it to the point I nearly left but NY is not the cheapest of places to stay! Very disapointed I paid £69. I would have put up with it for about £35 knowing I had paid little money. There was one plug socket, I stayed in a single room on the 5th floor. You can store luggage for free before checking in if you're early but after it's $2 and the particular person who served me at the time gave me the impression it was a hassle for him to move from his chair the room to let me store my suitcase.

The location was pretty good however, 10 minute walk to Times Square/Rocafellar and 5 minutes or so from Grand Central. I wouldn't recommend unless you really, really don't care about where you stay as long as there is a roof over your head. This did let my NY experience down and if you haven't been before, it's probably worth paying extra money for a nice hotel.

Room Tip: I personally stayed on 5th floor in a single room and wouldn't recommend. Perhaps other floors a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo