“Unpleasant surprise”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Sao Paulo, SP
“Unpleasant surprise”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staying at Vanderbilt YMCA changed my idea about a "non profit" organization. I was hoping for a friendly and fun place, I got the opposite. Mainly foreigner students, staying monthly.
The staff made me feel horrible, like if they were doing me a favor just by talking to me. The building itself so as the location, were nice and exactly what you paid for. For the staff, I rather pay more than stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the 4th floor, same as the bathroom, but no internet signal working.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank melo_adriana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was the beginning stop for our trip around America. All we basically did was sleep and store our luggage in the room.

Room; very small but does come kitted out with a bunk bed, fridge, TV and air con. It was clean and tidy to an exceptable standard. You get fresh sheets and fresh towels each morning. Nothing got stolen. I would say security is very high, feels very safe. Very quiet.

Shared toilets and showers; was not sure about this before we went but they were always very clean. Advice I would take flip flops because it can be a little walk to the showers.

Reception; they are a gym reception aswell and they are not overly helpful to hostel guests. Check in was quick but try not to go down at peak gym times. Safety deposit boxes are available however you can really only store a passport and money in them as they are quiet small.

Location; great location, you could walk to most places however it is located about 3 blocks away from the nearest subway station which we got a 7 day pass for $30 and that gives you unlimited rides. I personally think this is the best and easiest way to get around NYC. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to Times Square.

We also used the laundry room which was very handy and cheap.

For NYC the cost could not be beaten. Hotels are very expensive and for the amount of time you will spend in them I didn't want to spend out that much.

So for the price and location great little place to stay just remember you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank ChuckCarter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights starting the 6th of June for the start of our Round The World Trip. We arrived late on the first day and were checked in quickly.
[The front desk staff we found to be quite rude and reluctant to help at times.]

The room was a basic bunk bed room which had a desk, tv, fridge and cupboard space.
We paid $100 a night to stay here. We didnt go here with high expectations and were pleasantly surprised with how clean the rooms and bathrooms were. Also the Aircon was great worked well and cooled the room down super fast. [Floor 5 room 505]
We were also so glad that it was a quiet hostel and found it very easy to sleep each night. We used the communal kitchen which had a basic hob pans and a microwave, it was clean what more can you ask for?
The location we found to be very good. We walked everywhere from Grand Central Station to times square and central park.

Overall as I said in the title you get what you pay for its a space to keep your luggage safe and rest your head in the evening.

Room Tip: Floor 5 room 505 Great clean bathrooms on the floor and very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraCollins93
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've stayed in hostels before and all have been fine so I thought this would be great as it was in New York and didn't expect there to be really poor places to stay. Conceirge was helpful but as for the rest of the staff (particular front desk) they weren't friendly and a bit miserable (great first impression of NY). I had heard that the hostel was nice enough to stay in so I had good expectations but as I opened my door I was extremely disapointed. It was cold, dark and old. There was JUST enough room to open my suitcase and lay it on the ground. I lay on the bed for literally a few minutes where I was bitten and it was so awful I couldn't bare to have the sheets over me but instead covered myself up in warm clothes. There seemed to be only 2 working showers for women on the 5th floor and 2 toilets. They seemed clean enough but another had collapsed and was out of use. I disliked it to the point I nearly left but NY is not the cheapest of places to stay! Very disapointed I paid £69. I would have put up with it for about £35 knowing I had paid little money. There was one plug socket, I stayed in a single room on the 5th floor. You can store luggage for free before checking in if you're early but after it's $2 and the particular person who served me at the time gave me the impression it was a hassle for him to move from his chair the room to let me store my suitcase.

The location was pretty good however, 10 minute walk to Times Square/Rocafellar and 5 minutes or so from Grand Central. I wouldn't recommend unless you really, really don't care about where you stay as long as there is a roof over your head. This did let my NY experience down and if you haven't been before, it's probably worth paying extra money for a nice hotel.

Room Tip: I personally stayed on 5th floor in a single room and wouldn't recommend. Perhaps other floors a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Hildref

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

went on a school trip. bunked with another girl where two single beds had been piled on top of the other so that the bed moved when someone climbed to the top.
very damp and moist room.
served its purpose - purely a place to rest my head as all day and night i was out exploring.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My stay here was not very pleasant.

The staff were extremely unfriendly and seemed reluctant to help in any way. They allowed us to store our luggages before checking in when we arrived early at 8am but we had to pay $2 per bag to keep our luggages in their store room after checking out. I had the impression that everything we wanted came with a fee; they took the chance to charge us a fee for anything we needed. Any query we had were also answered with curt replies and unenthusiastic expressions.

The rooms are small, but this I can still accept - after all it's NYC. However the rooms had limited number of power outlets. There were 3 power outlets in my room - BUT they were all used up for the TV, AC and fridge - which means that technically they did not provide any power outlets in the whole room. So we lived with no fridge, no AC and no TV so that we could charge our electronics after a day of travelling. To make things worse the heater wasn't working...

Only three shower cubicles (for the female side) for an entire floor, which aren't very clean but I guess still of acceptable standard. I felt there could have been more cubicles to serve the large number of people.

The good:
The rooms itself (e.g. beds) are clean. They make your beds every day, change your towels as well. None of my personal belongings were stolen during my 5-day stay there so that's great. Security in the main lobby is tight, they require everyone to show their guest room card before allowing access to the lifts up to the guest rooms, security was also 24/7 (though I think this is expected of any hotel/hostel)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank xeno_13
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I love this place.
As a 17 year old on a trip with college to New York this place was great.
Yes, the rooms are small but it is a YMCA and the rooms had what you needed, they were also mega clean. The showers were fine, kept clean and easy to find. I always felt safe in the place. Due to it being a YMCA there was loads of people from all over the world there, different classes from other schools and so on. So such a great place to meet new people. The staff were always super friendly and helpful. The wifi was a bit on and off but I didn't travel all that way to update my status contantly anyway. The location is great also, right in near Grand Central Station.
Overall a really good place to stop on a budget and good value for money. Really recommend the place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends