“Perfect for travellers on budget”

The Vanderbilt YMCA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was visiting NYC for the first time in October 2012. As New York was only the first city for our holiday, we were on a budget, but still wanted to stay around mid-town Manhattan. After reading so many negative review, we've still decided to go ahead and booked a room with a bunk bad in this YMCA. As it turned out, it was one of the best decisions, we could have made!

The location of this hostel is absolutely superb! ~10 minutes walk from the Lexington Ave/ 53rd Street metro station, from where taking the E train till Jamaica Station and changing to the airtrain, you can get easily to JFK.

Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, UN, etc. are all within a walking distance from this hostel!

I agree, that the beds were not the most comfortable and the rooms were small, but if you are a traveller like me, who wanted to explore NY and not to spend his time in the hotel, then this place will be just fine!

The room was clean, though first admittedly looked a bit dirty, but it was just "worn-down". Nothing what a layer of paint couldn't fix. The room was cleaned every day, and our beds were made ever morning, too! (Which I definitely did NOT expect!). The room had a bunk bed, a table and a TV in it. The shared showeres looked clean, but as a pre-caution, I'd suggest to use flip-flops or slippers.

Everyone in the Y was kind and helpful, could ask petty much anything about NY landmarks, etc.

Free WI-FI (ask for access codes from the reception) was available around the reception area and some parts of the 10th floor corridors (maybe also on other floors, but as we stayed on the 10th, that is the one I know about).

Would definitely recommend this place to others - making it clear, that it is a simple place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Istvan_Mak
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

It is clean, has a great localization, good bathrooms.

Staff is not friendly, wi-fi was not working in the bedrooms, there is no frigobar in the rooms, the bunk bed was not good.

Price is very good for NYC.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank aleksvp
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We brought 30 students from a school in England and it was perfect for this. Prices are good and the location is excellent - on East 47th just under a mile's walk from Grand Central Station and on the same street as Times Square, albeit quite a hike away - walkable in 20-30 mins.

Rooms are generally very small and basic with bunk beds, a table and a fridge. However, facilities are excellent. I used both the gym and the excellent swimming pool when up at a stupidly early hour due to jet-lag.

I'm not sure if I'd come to this hotel if visiting New York more independently as it is strictly no frills, but for the kids, who were out nearly all day, every day, this was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank ShieldsWeasel
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I highly recommend this hostel. NYC is become more expensive each day, I refuse to pay over 300 dollars to sleep in a hotel. YMCA is perfect for when you don't need to stay at the hotel all day. When you're in NYC you leave early in the morning and just come back at night so why spend all that money if all you need is a bed? Rooms are very small, but have tv, a mini-fridge and a closet. I had housekeeping all the days I spent there. Rooms were clean and the linen fresh. The shared bathroom wasn't a problem, you don't meet a lot of people there. Good location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank claudiafros
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I am very happy to choose YMCA as my hotel. By the way, this was my first time to US and impressed with the hotel location and overall. I am sure to recommend this YMCA hotel to all my friends who plan to travel to NYC

Room Tip: The rooms are obviously small, but you get free gym access
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alona75
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I travelled to NYC with a friend and our main priority was to find an affordable place to stay around midtown Manhattan. This was the place since it fitted our budget (considering it was in NYC) and close to Times Square where we could walk in about 15 minutes. The location of this hostel was basically the only good thing about staying there. The rooms are so tiny!! We had two suitcases on the floof and there were almost no room left to move around! Another annoying thing was that the walls and the door were so thin that everything could be heard inside the room. So if you're a light sleeper, bring ear plugs or don't stay here.

We could't close the window in our room all the way and therefore also every noise from the street got in our room. Because of the window the room was quite cold when we first got there but luckily we got the heating working (it was still autumn but I don't know how effective the heating system is during the winter if the window cannot be closed all the way). There were really old curtains and they didn't work as a shade, so we had to arrange our own shade using a scarf! The bunk beds were awful, I slept in the upper bed and I'm not even that heavy but the whole system seemed to swing from side to side when I rolled over. Obviously not made for a bigger person, in fact, I'm not sure who can use the beds comfortably. The shared bathrooms were disgusting, hair and wet towels lying on the floor which people didn't seem to bother picking up. All in all going to the toilet/bathroom and just moving around in the tiny hostel room required slippers, so make sure to bring your own.

Definitely not suitable for families or couples. Think it's meant for solo travellers or friends. We stayed there for 4 nights and I think that was the maximum I could have stayed there anyway but for budget traveller who doesn't mind about anything else than a good location, this is a good choise.

Room Tip: NOT a room from the street side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TiiaL
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I work at a Summer Camp in the USA for the summer and every year after, I go travelling. Last year after summer 2011, myself and a friend decided to meet in NYC. We wanted to book HI Hostel for 4 nights but could only get 3, so decided to book this hostel for the other night. BIGGEST mistake of my life. We got there and it looked great. The gym and reception looked perfectly fine and clean. When we were given our room keys, we got to the room and there was a notice on our room door to say "This door will be open throughout the day due to painting doors"! Which meant when we were out, our door would be left open and anyone could walk in! Needless to say we took all of our valuables with us! As we walked in, there were 2 of us staying in the room so there was a bunk bed, a tv and pretty much thats it, you couldn't fit anything else in! With our bags and us, we had to manoeuvre over over our bags to get to anywhere. It was filthy and even the mirror was dirty. The bathroom in our corridor was closed so we had to walk over another one to go to the toilet. Which was also filthy and in the middle of renovation. We showered VERY quickly in our swimsuits and flip flops and brushed our teeth in the McDonalds along the street. I did not feel safe or clean in this hostel and will NEVER stay here again. We were so glad we only stayed here for one night and were so thankful when we could get to the HI Hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends