“We are so glad that we chose the Casablanc Hotel!”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #2 of 467 Hotels in New York City
goerogetown, ma
“We are so glad that we chose the Casablanc Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

My mom and I stayed at the Casablanca Hotel during our trip to New York to celebrate my 40th birthday. I am so glad we chose this hotel! The staff are all genuinely friendly, quick to help with whatever you need, and the hotel is elegant and comfortable. Rick's cafe is a nice place to relax with a complementary cup of coffee and a snack 24 hours a day. You can sit and read a book, use the internet, or chat with other guests and the complementary wine and cheese in the evening is perfect if you want a little bite before going out.
The rooms are not large but all of the rooms in New York City are small and we found our room with two double beds to be quite comfortable and the towels and linens so soft.
We never needed a cab because the location is so perfect. It is just a couple blocks from Time Square. We walked to the theaters to see The Phantom of the Opera, and In the Heights in just minutes and found plenty of very nice restaurants to chose from. Rockefeller Center or the Museum of Modern Art are both a short walk, too.
I am already planning our next trip!

• Stayed August 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I'm happy to say that one of the highlights of my girlfriend and my first trip to New York was our stay at the Casablanca. We were originally looking into booking a bigger "cookie cutter" hotel and then I found Casablanca through tripadvisor and it had great reviews and sounded like more charming, intimate, personal and unique and memorable hotel and that's exactly what it was!

Things I loved:
- Location, right next to Times Square.
- Continental breakfast spread in the mornings with coffee, juice, espresso machine, a variety of muffins, rolls, cereal, oatmeal, fruit.
- Wine and cheese reception in the evenings. My girlfriend and I were able to take advantage of this twice and it was a great break in between the siteseeing of the daytime and recharging for the nightlife. Some simple choices of red and white and bubbly and a great variety of crackers and cheese to snack on.
- 24 hour refreshments of coffee and cookies available
- The room was smaller but we loved it. A full bed was plenty for us and we had enough room for a small table and chairs, a little tv enclosure and a closet. The safe in room is a nice bonus for locking up the laptop, ipods, etc when hitting the town.
- The bathroom was great! Standup shower with the rainfall showerhead, a tall rack of toiletries, marble everything, loved it.
- A/C was a window unit but worked great and combined with the ceiling fan it was easy to keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
- The decor is great too. Feels very upscale but relaxed and "warm" at the same time. Like a nice home.
- Free wifi and a computer with printer and paper (great for printing those boarding passes on the last night!)

Most importantly, I can't say enough about how great the service was. I received a phone call a few days before check in confirming our reservation and offering any advice. I did not expect to receive a personal phone call from the hotel! Also, they were very accommodating of an early check in. We flew in on the red eye so we were at the hotel by 8:00am. They stored our luggage and told us to go enjoy some breakfast and they would try to have the room ready as soon as possible. It was ready by 10am which was great. They also were great in helping with directions, giving us umbrellas since we're both from the southwest and are always surprised by rain. The staff in the refreshment area was great too! Always offering to toast bagels, refill beverages and take away cups and plates. They were nice to offer me a tray on mornings my girlfriend wasn't up yet so I could load up the try with breakfast goodies and take it back to our room. I honestly can't say enough about the friendliness of the hotel staff.

Things to consider aka not so great:
- First off I honestly have no complaints so these are just things to consider
- Rooms are smaller, but come on it's NYC you're not going to get 900 sq feet of sprawling suite and honestly you should be spending your time in the city so why do you need a huge room?
- Our hallway smelled a bit stale. We joked that it "smelled like old people" (no offense to my senior friends). It wasn't disgusting, just something we laughed about on our way into our room
- Even with the soundproofing of the windows there's still a bit of noise from outside. It's not annoying at all but don't expect the rooms to be library quiet.

Overall the Casablanca exceeded our expectations in every way and it will be my first choice of hotel on any future trips to NYC. You won't regret staying here one bit!

Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

I selected the Casablanca because the movie is our favorite, and the online profile of the hotel was so inviting. It was a great choice! I have to say, every single member of the Casablanca staff was terrific. Our welcome felt personal, and each time we came and went, the front desk staff greeted us warmly. The occasion of our visit was my husband's 50th birthday, and I was touched to find a bottle of champagne, with balloons and a birthday card, along with a copy of "Casablanca" to help us celebrate the day. It was such a thoughtful treat, we felt deliciously spoiled.

Our room was a nice size and lovely. A large beautifully appointed bathroom. Great air conditioning, and soft sheets. I loved the bamboo, "Casablanca" touches in the furnishings. The hallway decor is great too---characatures of Bogey, and intersting lighting and framed tapestries. Rick;s Cafe serves what has to be the among the best complimentary breakfasts in NYC. It includes all sorts of pastries, juices, cereals, fruit, yogurt, and hardboiled eggs-----in a comfortable setting, with, again, a great staff.

It's a matter of personal taste, but the only downside we found of staying at the Casablanca, was the mid town location. The hotel was QUIET---that was not a problem at all----I just didn't like having to go through the Times Square area every time we went to or from the hotel. With the tourist crowds and noise and neon-bombardment, it's my least favorite part of New York. If you like the uber-New York scene, or are in the city to see lots of shows, the location might be a plus, For us, I wish this charming hotel was much further up town.

Otherwise, a fantastic stay at this lovely, boutique hotel!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

I took my wife to New York to celebrate our 35th anniversary. I wanted to be near Times Square and chose the Casablanca for our stay. I let them know ahead of time that it was our anniversary.

We got to New York early, arriving at the hotel before noon. I didn't expect the room to be ready, but they had one for us. As early as check-in you realize that this place is all about service. Everyone who works at the hotel makes a point to greet you and offer assistance. We were happy with the room - clean, tastefully decorated, great bed and a large bathroom.

We went out to get lunch and by the time we got back, there was a bottle of champagne in the room with balloons and an anniversary card made especially for us. We were blown away by their thoughtfullness.

We were completely happy with our stay at the Casablanca and would gladly stay there again. It's quaint, quiet and the staff is incredible.

Thanks to all at the Casablanca for helping to make our anniversary so memorable.

1 Thank Dennis2121
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

A lovely hotel in times Square, very nice and clean, elegant but not posh. The staff really kind!!! I hope to come back soon.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Birch Run, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

What a great hotel! Friendly staff, not pretentious at all. Always met with a hello or goodbye by the front desk and always willing to answer any questions we had about Broadway shows, restaurants, or any other activity. Breakfast was relaxing and fresh as was the wine and cheese and other munchies every night, what a nice amenity that was free. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the housekeeping staff does a great job! Amazingly quiet considering the closeness of Times Square. This hotel is an oasis, and we were always glad when we walked in the door after a full day and evening of NYC!

1 Thank auntzaney
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

My teenage daughter and I just returned from our stay at the Casablanca. It was everything we hoped for in a NYC hotel. It is a small, clean, pleasingly decorated hotel steps from Times Square. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, welcoming us back each and every time we reappeared at the door, providing umbrellas (it rained the ENTIRE time we were there!), directions, advice on where to eat, hailing taxis, and making restaurant reservations . Our luggage was handled carefully, housekeeping was competent and responsive, and some staff even remembered our preferences for this or that, though we were only there three nights and four days. Despite the lavish attention paid to us, the overall atmosphere is low key and our room was very quiet.
The abundant, ongoing daily snacks were helpful because we were completely off our regular schedule and were hungry at odd times. The breakfast offerings were very good -- hard-boiled eggs, bagels and cream cheese, good coffee, fresh fruit and juices, as well as other baked goods and cereal.
I had some difficulty booking the discounted rate through their website and after a few days and one call to the hotel, I was only able to book a room at a higher rate. I received a phone call (!) from the hotel the day before arriving to confirm the reservation and asking if there was anything else they could do to help my arrival go smoothly. I mentioned the trouble with with website booking and Samuel arranged it so that I received the original online price I was quoted. I must have mentioned we were celebrating my daughter's birthday as when we arrived in the room there were helium-filled balloons and a bottle of sparkling wine on ice to greet us. You can imagine the squeal of delight from my daughter to be so nicely acknowledged.
There was an AC unit in the window but I'm not so keen on the cold and noise of them in general so we used it sparingly though it worked fine. Rather, I appreciated the quiet ceiling fan. Also the lighting was quite good -- ceiling and side lights, bright bathroom lights and a separate light for the closet - and there were ample outlets to plug in electronics rechargers. Wifi was available throughout the hotel and there was one computer available to guests (I didn't use it but many guests did) in the lounge. There was also a cute outdoor area off the lounge but...did I mention it rained the whole time we were there?
The room was small yet it had all the necessities without feeling cramped: a comfortable bed with lots of pillows and a duvet, two bedside tables with drawers and lamps, a flat screen tv with remote in a wardrobe cabinet, and a closet with an electronic easy-to-use self-programmable room safe, a good steam iron and ironing board. There was also a table and chair to eat said snacks. The bathroom fixtures were all updated, there was a wall-mounted hair dryer, and the shower was large with a glass enclosure and a rain shower head. Beautifully citrus scented bath products a la Hilton or Sheraton hotels. In fact the overall experience would compare quite favourably with those hotels at a fraction of the cost in NYC with much more personalized customer service.
The building itself is old but has been nicely refurbished. The only place it showed its age was the elevators and staircases -- and not in a bad way. Vintage done well.
Of course we would go back again and will recommend it to all our friends and family. Unfortunately, my experience with NY hotels over the past 25 years is similar to finding the perfect lipstick. Just when you've got it settled, it's gone; a new formula or discontinued altogether. Hope that doesn't happen too soon with the Casablanca.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family