“One annoying problem”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 9, 2005

The Casablanca is in a convenient location, is nicely decorated, well maintained, and the desk staff was very polite and helpful. The free continental breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon were nice touches. As noted in other reviews, the rooms are small. However the chief problem was our bathroom. Not only was it small but it was very poorly laid out. The toilet was so close to the wall in front of it that it was extremely awkward to use. This problem was much more annoying than it may sound, especially since the Casablanca is not cheap, and we would hesitate before staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2005
16  Thank inquisitor
There are newer reviews for Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed November 9, 2005

We just spent two nights there and were very happy with the Casablanca. The staff was very nice and helpful. There was also a certain informality about the place and the staff that was refreshing. Our last trip to NYC we stayed at the Iroquois where everything seemed formal and cold-feeling. We paid $345/night due to the marathon taking place. If we had gotten some of the lower rates mentioned in other reviews I would be even happier with the hotel. The location was great for walking everywhere. Upon check-in we were given the option of a quiet inside room with a standard bathroom or a street-side room with a large bathroom. We went for street-side and were awakened a couple of times by the noise, but it wasn't too bad. If/when we stay there again we would probably go with an inside room.

The breakfasts were good although some better fruit would be nice. It was also great to have a computer in the lounge to check email for free. My major complaint about a lot of hotels is spending a lot for the room and then being nickel and dimed for a ton of small things. I never got that feeling at the Casablanca. It was expensive, but they threw enough in that I wasn't bitter about the price.

• Stayed: November 2005
13  Thank TravelBabbo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 8, 2005

Stayed for 7 nights with my wife and daughter as part of a round the world trip. Chose the hotel after a lot of research and the positive reviews in Tripadvisor and we were not at all disappointed. A quiet, personal, boutique hotel right in the heart of New York! The only minor hiccup was that, when we booked in (late at night), our 2 rooms were on different floors even though I had specifically requested for them to be together. When I pointed this out to reception they said they were pretty full and it was hard to meet our request. I said that I had booked the room months before and, as soon as we got to our room, the Manager phoned, apologized and said it would be fixed up the next morning (which it was). The staff were excellent and the front desk was always very cheerful and helpful and gave us excellent recommendations for local restaurants. The free breakfasts were basic (no hot food) but good enough to get the day off to a great start and the all day snacks and coffee plus the evening drinks and cheese were an excellent break to the bustle of New York. Have absolutely no complaints about the rooms – smallish, as you would expect in most cities, but not an issue for us, and the location was excellent – a few steps from Times Square but in a reasonably quiet street. A great place to stay and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 6, 2005

After the rave reviews on this site, I booked a long weekend at the Casablanca for a girlfriend and myself, fully expecting free upgrades and all the amenitites mentioned for $269/night

I did not read the fine print, my fault, but the room we were offered was tiny with only one double bed. (I did not know this was an option. I have never stayed in a hotel where the standard was one double bed.) This would not work for us, so my friend got on the phone and booked three nights at the Marriott Marquis on Times Square for $208 per night (a government rate), available immediately.

With our wheeled luggage, we rolled down two blocks to a wonderful room with two Queen beds with a partial view of Times Square.

We were in jeopardy of paying for the first night at the Casablanca, but either they rented the room or let us out of the committment due to goodwill. At any rate, in the future I will think twice before committing to a boutique hotel.

16  Thank magdog
A TripAdvisor Member
St. Catharines, ON
Reviewed November 5, 2005

The staff was very courteous and friendly. The promised complimentary bottle of champagne arrived for my husband's 60th birthday as soon as we got our room. The king suite was more spacious than the two of us needed. If you are a light sleeper, you might want to ask for a room not facing the main street. The bed, pillows, TVs, DVD players, towels, bath robes and shower were great. They have a small selection of DVDs available for loan (they are switching over from videos). The free wine and cheese in the lounge is everyday except Sunday, and the piano player is there weekdays. The staff allowed one group staying there (celebrating one of the group's 80th birthday) to have several, additional guests join them in the lounge, before heading off to the theatre. The staff just brought out more wine and more cheese. The Italian restaurant next door had good food and so did the Heartland Brewery, just two doors down. We hated to leave and hope to be back!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2005

The trip was a surprise for my husbands 30th birthday and I was very excited to be staying at the Casablanca after reading all of the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor.

I had planned a car to collect us at the airport, a bottle of champagne in the room and I'd also asked the hotel to store a birthday cake overnight which was being delivered the day before my husbands birthday. I had e-mailed/telephoned the hotel on several occasions to confirm these arrangements.

The champagne wasn't in our room when we arrived (Thursday) but I wasn't too bothered, these things happen. I went to the front desk and asked for it to be put in our room while we were out on Saturday (husbands birthday) I also confirmed that the birthday cake was being delivered the next day (Friday) and checked again than it was ok be stored overnight then put in the room along with the champagne on Saturday. I watched the gentleman at the front desk write this down so other members of staff were aware. Obviously this wasn’t made clear enough despite e-mails, telephone conversations and the conversation I had once we arrived at the hotel because while we were in our room on Friday the birthday cake was brought up and my husband opened the door and the surprise was totally ruined.

Then on Saturday we had stopped off at the hotel in the afternoon to drop off shopping bags and to rest our feet for half an hour and while I was sat reading a mouse ran across the room. My husband telephoned the front desk who sent someone up and when he removed the radiator cover there was a mouse trap under there so obviously they were aware they had a problem but still kept selling the room. We were moved to the room next door which I wasn’t happy about because as far as I could see then if a mouse could get into one room then it could get into the one next door. We complained and were told that we would have to stay in that room for one night but could be moved to another room for the last two nights of our trip. We were really not comfortable with that so asked what else could be done. We were then told that we could move to a sister hotel (The Library) but would have to pay $50 - $70 more per night. I found this to be a very rude and insulting suggestion. They were trying to make more money out of us! Why should we be made to pay more just to ensure there weren’t rodents in our room?

They telephoned the manager (whose cell was turned off as “he doesn’t work weekends”) and then after about half an hour and a confrontation at the front desk they agreed that we could move to the other hotel for the same rate we had at the Casablanca and they would also only charge us for one of the nights we had stayed and not both of them. They would also pay for a taxi to take us to the Library

We spent approx 2 hours trying to sort this out, and then a further 1.5hrs moving and unpacking again not an ideal way for my husband to spend what was supposed to be a memorable birthday but, thanks to the Casablanca, will now be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

We had a very disappointing stay at the Casablanca. The only thing they got right was the car was waiting for us to collect us at the airport but even then I was charged more than the quote I was given by the Casablanca and we had to wait 20 mins to get on a bus before we actually got to the car.

Definately won't be staying here again! Thanks Casablanca for ruining my husbands surprise birthday trip which I had spent months planning.

• Stayed: May 2005
23  Thank sophievp2004
Reviewed October 26, 2005

Stayed at the Casablanca for 5 nights 20th to 25 October for a 50th birthday treat. Arrived mid afternoon to be told that we had been upgraded to a suite but with apologies that it could only be for the one night but they were also dropping our rate by 10 dollars a night, what superb start to the week, they informed us that we would have to be moved the following day but not to worry about anything as when we returned from our days excursions they would have transfered everything for us, low and behold on our return the following day everything was as we left it but in a different room. They then delivered a bottle of champagne to the room as a treat for my birthday, I don't think we would have got this in sort of treatment in many other hotels. The smaller room was adequate and the bathroom was a good size, at the end of the day you don't go to New York to spend a lot of time in your room ! All the staff were friedly and very proffesional, nothing was to much trouble. One day rain was forcast and they insisted that we take one of their umbrellas just in case, thats the sort of detail they take. Ricks on the second floor is great, free coffee and pastries all day with free cheese, wine and champagne from 17:00 - 20:00 every evening. The location cannot be beaten less the 50 yards from the centre of Times Square but still very quite once back in the hotel. There are less expensive hotels in New York but if this is on your short list try it you will not be dissapointed !!!

11  Thank bucko55