“Can't wait to go back!”

Casablanca Hotel by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #3 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Well 2 couples stayed at the Casablanca for our 30/40 Anniversaries! From the first time I called before arriving they were Fantastic!! Kat got us Great transportation from Newark. The cleanest room I have ever stayed in anywhere. Lena was lovely our first night in Rick's, Great place to relax with friends after sightseeing . Every time we had a question Ray and the other concierge we more than helpful in advice and assistance!!
You all deserve the top rating! Thanks for making our trip perfect!!

Room Tip: Large bathroom for New York!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We have stayed at the Casablanca several times and appreciate it more each time. The staff is very accomodating. The breakfast, snacks and happy hour is wonderful for travellers. The location at Times Square is so convenient to the theaters, restaurants and subway that you can really be anywhere in 30 minutes. Plus having a doorman that recognizes you and calls you by name really makes you feel like you are a true New Yorker from the Upper East Side!

Room Tip: Request interior room to cut out traffic noise. Those drivers honk at all hours!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2013

If you are looking for the perfect location and impeccable service Casablanca is the grand champion. We are 70 and 72 years old. We walked everywhere: Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Madison Square Garden, Theatre District all the famous streets and stores are a short walk away. Plus I cannot imagine what else the folks at the Casablanca could do to improve their service. Definitely above and beyond in every category. Stay there, you will be glad you did.

Room Tip: For the location the Casablanca is a bargain. The rooms are not huge but definitely fine.
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed December 11, 2013

First time in New York and we booked the Casablanca because of the Trip advisor reviews. Well worth the money and it's not often you hear me say that!!!! Location 10/10, Hotel 10/10, staff 11/10, afternoon nibbles 10/10, room 9/10 just because there is no view but no view means no noise...Quiet air-con gave a great night sleep. Sad to leave.....look forward to returning.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

I come to New York once or twice a year on personal theater trips, and when I am in town, I usually stay at the Michelangelo Hotel, which has always been beautiful, and with a very friendly family-like atmosphere. But, during my recent visit December 3rd to the 8th, the Michelangelo wanted more money than I was willing to pay. So, having always been curious about the Casablanca based on the reviews here, I decided to check out their prices, and got a great deal thanks to the 20% off offer they have on the top of their tripadvisor page here. It was in the area that I wanted to be, so I figured why not?

I will admit, despite the regular accolades this place gets here, I was still very nervous. You see, a few years ago on another trip, I stayed at the Hotel Elyse, which is owned by the same company as the Casablanca. I did not have a very favorable experience there, which you can read about in the review I gave for it. The Elyse is also regularly acclaimed by travel reviews, and I had a terrible experience with the staff there. So, with it being owned by the same company, I was a little worried I would get a similar experience.

Fortunately, this proved not to be the case at all. While it does have its problems, and it's not about to become my first choice, the Casablanca is a very nice little hotel with an exceptionally well trained staff. As I prefer smaller hotels near the theater district, this place was right up my alley. The beds are very comfortable, and I loved Rick's Cafe, with the free breakfast, drinks, and snacks that they offer all day. And while the room I had was a little on the small side, it was still very clean, and offers just about anything you could want. I would have preferred a countertop in the bathroom to place all my toiletries (the bathroom just has a tiny sink, and you have to get creative with where you put your stuff around it), but it was a very minor quibble.

The staff was very attentive, however, and I can see why they get so much praise. Not only do they greet you by name when you return or leave for the day (a touch I always appreciate at hotels), but they also looked after some of my personal needs. For example, they offer free newspapers at Rick's Cafe, but I noticed they did not offer the one I usually like to read when I am in the city. I expressed this to the front desk, and they arranged it so that a Bellman would deliver that particular paper to my room each morning for free. That was pretty much the moment I knew that I was in good hands at the Casablanca.

Another personal experience I appreciated - One night, for whatever reason, I did not have any turn down service in my room. They had skipped my room, even though I did not have a "do not disturb" sign outside my door. Oddly enough, this happened to me two times at the Elyse hotel, and some bad flashbacks of the rude response I got from the staff at that place started swirling up into my mind. Fortunately, when I reported the issue, I got a much better response this time around. Not only did someone from the front desk come up to my room a few minutes later with a beautiful small gift-wrapped box of chocolates to apologize, but from that night on, the woman in charge of the turn down service would personally knock on my door, and ask if I needed turn down service this evening. It was the same woman each time, and she always gave me a small handful of individual wrapped chocolates each time. I really appreciated the effort, and especially appreciated the lack of the attitude that I got from my Elyse experience.

As others have also stated, the Casablanca is also ideally located for theater, as it's right there in the district, without being directly in the middle of the chaos that is Time Square and Broadway. The 8 shows that I saw on my trip were all a 5 to 15 minute walk from the hotel, and there are also plenty of restaurants, stores, and movie theaters nearby, so you won't be lacking something to do. (As if you could ever be bored in this city.) If I do have any complaints about my experience, they are minor. For one, the floor in my room was *very* squeaky. Just walking across the room would make so much noise, I started to worry if I was bothering the people on the floor below me. If anyone on the 5th floor was bothered by a lot of squeaking above them, I greatly apologize. Also, despite requesting a "quiet room", and the front desk informing me that I had received one when I checked in, I could still hear a lot of traffic sounds from my window. It didn't bother me too much, nor did it wake me much in the night, so I never complained. I just thought it strange that a "quiet" room could still have so much outside noise, compared to other "quiet" rooms I have stayed at in the city.

Regardless, I still had a very good experience at the Casablanca, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a smaller and more personal hotel in the center of the city. Given the fact that I could not stay at my usual hotel, this was a very nice surprise. It's nice to have an alternative that offers a similar experience if this should ever happen again. I will most likely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Keiichi73
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel and would stay there again. We were only there for 2 nights, but really liked it. It was clean, comfortable, and everyone was very friendly. Our room was a little warm but given the freeeeezing temps outside & us being from Hawaii, it didn't bother us too much. We still really liked the Casablanca & will stay there again sometime.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our second stay at the Casablanca-and it just confirmed our initial thoughts-what a fabulous find it is! It is in such a fantastic location-2 minutes walk to Time Square, short walk to 5th Avenue and yet the rooms are so quiet-you would never know you were in the heart of the action. The staff (especially the reception & concierge staff) are so helpful & friendly. Nothing is too much trouble. We were celebrating our friend's 50th birthday & they organised a birthday cake & champagne for us & recommended a fantastic restaurant for dinner. They really couldn't have been more helpful. The complimentary breakfast & cheese and wine each night are such a lovely touch. The first time we stayed here was with our children-aged 15 & 12 in a mini suite and I must say the hotel is perfect for both families & couples alike. We would love to return to NYC-so at least the accommodation is already sorted-it will definitely be the Casablanca.