“Great location”

Ranked #33 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We needed a place to stay one night and chose The Peninsula. The rooms are quite small, but just like many other hotels in NYC. Breakfast was with extra charge. The room service was good, but nothing extraordinary. Nice hotel, with a great location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vonkhan
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Vonkhan,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula New York as your hotel amongst the many hotels in New York City. It sounds like you took advantage of our great location in Midtown and the fine service we provide our guests. We hope you are able to visit us again soon!

Jonathan H. Crook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights from the 1st December for work. Upon arrival the door men scooped up my bags and led me into the lobby. The lobby is currently beautifully decorated for Christmas and enhances the luxurious feel of the hotel. After being directed to the check in desk, the process was quick and smooth and I was offered a free newspaper delivered to my room every morning.

I stayed on the 15th floor in a superior room which was very luxurious. No view from the window but just what I needed to get away from the hustle and bustle of Fifth Avenue in full Christmas shopping swing! The room was wonderfully quiet and spacious. I had a king sized bed all for myself and a lovely bathroom complete with shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, sewing kit, shower cap and cotton buds.

The bed was wonderfully comfortable and complimentary bottled water was provided daily. There was a mini bar and snacks in the drawers.

The large desk came with a drawer containing a stapler (on a work trip this came in useful!), highlighter, paper clips and even a jogging map for routes in New York. There was also a printer but when I turned it on, it instantly started printing junk mail and wouldn't stop until I turned it off! I could get free wifi too which was great.

I used their in-room dining service one night which was great, although I ordered too much food. The meal was very pleasantly presented (like I was at a restaurant) and came with bread and butter. The onion soup was delicious as was the risotto.
I used their laundry service too with no complaints. I called them early on the morning to pick it up and by the time I returned to my hotel in the evening my shirt was hung up in the wardrobe.

The housekeeping was great and the staff are super friendly. At one turn-down service, I was enjoying the in-dining service and the lady told me not to move and continue eating whilst she swiftly got slippers out for me, filled up the ice bucket & put a breakfast menu on my pillow.

One evening the lever to switch between the bath and shower didn't work. So I reported it the next morning and they sent someone in straight away, it was all fixed by the time I came back in the evening!
The location was great for me. It's a 15/20 minute walk from Times Square and on the way I could admire the shops on fifth avenue and at this time of year, see all of the Christmas lights.

When I checked out, there were no issues and it was done within a few minutes.

The stay was extremely pleasant and I would highly recommend this hotel to those who can afford it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MissAmyYa
Dear MissAmyYa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Peninsula New York experience in wonderful detail! We are thrilled that you chose to stay with us.

Saddle River, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying at Peninsula thru 12/17. I arrived on 12/9, room was ready and I asked for my luggage immediately because I had a meeting in 30 minutes. Well luggage did not come after 20 minutes, called again and received it 10 minutes later which made me late for my meeting. Tonight my wife arrived, called and asked if we had to be in room to receive luggage, answer was "no" they would put it in room. We returned 3 hours later, no luggage and had to call. No one could answer why no luggage and it came after the call.
The St. Regis, Mandarin Oriental, Carlyle and 4 Seasons are all far superior to Peninsual and all around the same price.
Personally, while I stayed here before, I will never return. Problem is I am here for next 6 nights when I could be at a better, more service oriented hotel.

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Edward D
Dear Edward D,

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak directly to me. I appreciate the opportunity you afforded me to discuss your comments further so that we can examine the issues you experienced. Regrettably, your arrival was not as seamless as it should have been but we hope to restore your faith in our services upon your return to our hotel. I look forward to you contacting me directly to make it so.

Best regards,
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

Big group of 24 of us for 4 nights over Thanksgiving weekend. Every member of staff was attentive and keen to help. Lovely superior room on the 10th floor. With a regular supply of delightful confectionary. Cocktails at $25 on the rooftop bar with essential view down Fifth Ave. Lovely spa, pool's quite small but hey it's on the 22nd floor. Fantastic breakfast but make sure you're hungry - it's massive and about $50 each. If you can afford it, the classic elegance and great location make the Peninsula number 1 choice.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the views
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GJ W
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear GJWoodcock,

Thank you for sharing the details of your group's stay at The Peninsula New York. As first time guests at our hotel, we are delighted to exceed your expectations and welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

We booked this reputed Five Star hotel about a month in advance of our December visit. We booked a Superior King Room. What we got was a tiny, cramped room that couldn't fit our luggage opened with room remaining to walk around the room without stepping over it--or into it. (See photos). The closet was a cupboard (see photo), and the room had a total of three drawers (not counting the one drawer they took up for the hair dryer), so unpacking was not an option. We asked for a different room and were told we were out of luck, all booked. I washed my hands and she took a short shower. The room obviously had not been inspected because both drains stopped up and did not drain. (See photos). When I tried to show this photo of the slow drain to a night manager, he looked at it briefly, turned his back and walked away. Of course, we could always gaze at our "city view". (See photo). Price for all this luxury: $1,199.14 per night, including tax, just under $6,000 for our five night booked stay. Meals and extras not included. We could at least save on room service, for there is no possible way a tray table could have been wheeled into the room.

Folks, this is the most basic, no frills room you can imagine, which barely accommodated the short king bed, and cannot comfortably accommodate two guests and their luggage. Superior? Superior to what--a Motel 6? I think not. I have stayed in them and the rooms I've had were much more spacious. Do yourself a favor, find one of the many fine boutique and non-flagged hotels in this city, save some money and be far more comfortable than this popular-I-know-not-why "luxury" chain hotel. Postscript: As I wrote this a very nice day manager contacted me (after I complained again this morning) with a larger room option. We'll see...

Room Tip: I understand that if you go north of $2,500 per night and book more than a month in advance, you can...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
14 Thank Dantes910
Dear Dantes910,

It is with true regret to learn the details of your recent visit to our hotel and the disappointment with your initial accommodation. I am delighted however to learn that our team quickly remedied the situation and provided you a larger and more comfortable accommodation for your stay during this busy holiday season. We pride ourselves in providing seamless service and a superior product and hope we have restored your faith in us.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Great location with first class staff make this hotel the best place to stay in New York. The gym and spa are excellent and with the views from the roof top bar amazing this was an incredible place to spend thanks giving weekend in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gary_james_n
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Gary_james_n,

We are delighted you have chosen to stay at The Peninsula New York during the Thanksgiving Day holiday. We are grateful for your kind feedback and thank you for taking the time to review your experience on TripAdvisor.

Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The good part is the staff is excellent and so is the location. We have stayed at this property three times before and also at the Peninsula is Hong Kong, Chicago and Los Angeles. The Peninsula has always been one of my favorite hotels in the world. The staff always superb, the hotels clean and the rooms "crisp".
This NYC started out with a room upgrade and then went downhill from there. The suite was dark and not particularly clean. The turn down service came after I called and requested it after 9:00. When I turned down the sheets to get into the bed, the sheets were stained. It wasn't a new stain, but one that was embedded into the sheets, not a pretty or comforting sight. The HVAC control system has been upgraded, but it seems the mechanical aspect of it wasn't. It was hard to adjust and maintain a comfortable temperature in the room. To the point, it just didn't work. The final straw was when we woke up to a very foul odor at 5:27am coming from the ventilation system.
We were disappointed with the hotel, but the staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The Spa is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, if it's available they try and accommodate.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple