“Great NYC hotel by all accounts”

The Peninsula New York
Ranked #51 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights and this hotel in a grand suite. You get a warm welcome and the staff are all very polite and helpful. The rooms are tastefully appointed and are spacious and luxurious. It's 5th avenue position makes it in a very good location. There are lots of dining options and central park is just a few blocks away. The hotel is quiet for such a busy city. I would stay here again whenever I go to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was a really disappointing experience. The location, Front desk and the room were wonderful - just what you expect from the Peninsula group. The bar area on 21 floor was horrible - we could not wait to leave. It is open to non hotel guests and clearly has a range of clients - from hotel guests to those who want to entertain ladies of the local knocking shop. The staff serving have the grace of a herd of rhinos - drinks banged down and spilt - not nice all. Breakfast was a disaster - they had a conference going on which mean that we could only be served in the Lobby - not the 3rd floor - the staff could not cope and we did not have a great experience. I will return to this hotel - real pity.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to take our daughter to NYC for the weekend. She's only four but thought that she would have fun. We were completely unprepared for the outstanding attention to detail that we would be met with at the Peninsula. Aside from the hotel being gorgeous, and so finely appointed we were shocked as to how attentive to children they were. Throughout our stay we were constantly surprised by the little nice things that the staff did. From sticker books, to stuffed animals and even a scavenger hunt through out the hotel. They did that but never made it feel like you were at a Disney world resort. Absolute NYC class and sophistication all the way. The amenities were just lovely. Great gym, outstanding roof-top pool and the most lovely of bed linens. This hotel is not for the faint of heart cost-wise though. Be prepared to spend. But if you are you will most certainly be extremely happy just as we were!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Recently stayed for 2 nights at this wonderful hotel at 5th and 55th. The quiet opulence of the property enfolds the visitor in a serene embrace, marrying tasteful modernity with an overlay of tradition.

Rooms exude refined elegance. Spacious and equipped with all the modern amenities you'd expect in a hotel of this caliber. I loved the beside lighting controls which seem to be standard at Peninsula properties.

Location can't be beat, with designer boutiques (oh, and world class culture) that begin at the doorstep. Subway is a short 3 block walk (depending on the line, I suppose).

We were thrilled to have our room ready when we arrived at noon the day of our stay. It was spotlessly clean. I have to say that this hotel had the best bevy of housekeeping staff I have encountered on my travels. High accolades to them.

Concierge was very helpful giving me maps of the areas I wanted to visit along with detailed subway routes. They also had complementary stamps for postcards - nice touch!

It is an expensive property, to be sure. But I am a believer that you get what you pay for; and I don't mind paying for a property such as the Peninsula NY when they deliver on so many levels. Bravo!

Room Tip: We had a room with a view over 5th Avenue. Noise wasn't an issue, but we were on the 12th floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ONskigirl
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed at the Peninsula the last weekend in June and had an amazing time! Great hotel right on the corner of 5th ave. and 55th st./ hotel entrance is on 55th st. Stayed with my wife and daughter. Some of the things I enjoyed:

The Room - very quiet for being right in the city and good size bathroom with separate tub and shower and they don't charge extra for a roll away bed.

The Pool- Indoor pool over looking 5th Ave- Family Friendly- a little cold but you ask them to turn the heater up- they have a kids water aerobics class on Saturdays, but the instructor was sick so we missed it- my daughter was a little bummed about that.

The Location- One of the reasons I picked this Hotel-Great Location. Walked to The American Girl Doll store on 5th ave- just a few blocks. Short cab ride to Times Square To See Annie on Broadway. Close to Central Park.

The Staff- So Helpful and Friendly- They have a kids pack they give to children staying in the hotel that includes a hotel scavenger hunt. My daughter and I had a lot of fun with this because the staff went out of their way to help us with the clues and very excited to see us enjoying the hunt. When done, you turn in your answers to the Concierge and my daughter got 2 chocolate bars and a Peninsula Bear key chain as a prize- She loved it!

The Concierge really did a great job for us on the last day. We had checked out of the hotel and left our bags with the bellman to meet my sister and her family for dinner before our flight home but I was worried about getting back to the Hotel to get the bags and making it in time to the airport. The Concierge said he could have a car come and pick up our bags at the hotel and then get us at the restaurant so we could leave right after dinner. Yes this was an extra charge but well worth it. We ate Dinner without feeling rushed and made it to the airport with no problem.

I will go back to the Peninsula and would highly recommend it.
Thank you to all the staff for an Excellent stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Won't go into to much detail but this hotel was fab!
Couldn't find a fault and hope to go back at some point.
Excellent and very helpful staff, great attention to detail throughout the hotel, excellent and well equip rooms, great food in the restaurant, only had a quick look round roof top bar as we were pushed for time, but was really funky and well worth a visit.
Great location, close to most main tourist sites within New York.
Didn't visit the spa or gym but I'd imagine the high standards could also be found there.
Take me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Two stops here - one after a day's cycling round north Manhattan: had our aperitifs on the roof. We sat on the small balcony on the north side looking up Fifth Avenue towards the park, as it was shady. Great cocktail menu, ordered at bar but served at table. Second stop, the following evening five of us had "dinner" at the Salon de Ning, on the large open terrace facing down Manhattan. We had cocktails and then chose all the small plates on the menu and shared. The food was delicious and the wine, red and white and American by choice, was excellent. The service impeccable. On leaving discovered there was another large terrace looking towards Sixth Avenue, just as attractively set out. Highly recommend this for a first (warm and dry!) night in New York as not expensive and the views are staggering. No idea about the hotel itself, but it looked amazing - and expensive - but what a location for NYC.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends