“Excellent service, but at a price”

The Peninsula New York
Ranked #53 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For business a great hotel from a service point of view - nothing is too much trouble and facilities available pretty much 24hrs. The superior room is ok, but if you can afford it or blag an upgrade the deluxe is way better. Food is really pricey, particularly room service. Location great for shopping or mid-town.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had our last couple of days in a relaxing spa hotel ,well worth staying there
Spa had a wonderful massage service the pool was great
Shame taht due to renovations the 555 restaurant was closed but the concierge found us several l good ones in walking distance

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

After a wonderful stay at the Chicago Peninsula we decided to stay at their NYC location this spring.

When we checked in we noticed our junior suite didn’t have a door that separated the living area from the bedroom. To most guests, this isn’t an issue. However for us, one of us is a super early riser and does work in the AM while the other sleeps.

When we booked the reservation we were assured by the reservationist that our room had a separate living space with a door. We stay in tons of hotels and every place we go we insist on the separation.

On a typical night checking in we would have brought this issue to their attention immediately. The problem was we were late for a sporting event at MSG. Furthermore we stayed out pretty late following the game for a few adult beverages. When we returned to the hotel that evening we thought we’d mention the issue with the front desk just so they could make a note to the reservation department. We never expecting a room change given how late it was. To our utter surprise, Frederico (front desk) was able to move us into a room with a separate living area and cater to our needs…. At 3:30 AM! The Peninsula went above and beyond the call of duty and exceeded our expectations in terms of their customer service (then again, it was just as magnificent in Chicago so maybe we shouldn’t be surprised). Thanks again Frederico, a true customer service professional!

Room Tip: Room service can be qutie pricey, we ordered two (small) milkshakes and the tab 34 dollars.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LessWork M
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Terpten t,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. While I am sorry for the confusion regarding the layout of our Junior Suites, I am delighted to hear that Frederico exceeded your expectations in providing the late night room move. He is truly a positive and exemplary reflection of our hotel. I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to The Peninsula New York soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My friend and I were here for 4 nights over Easter. Our upgrade to a twin room (I had a double booked but my husband couldn't make it) was met, but unlike our current hotel in San Francisco, they calmly charged an upgrade of $100 per night. We had breakfast here on the first morning which despite costing $114 odd dollars (and we only had eggs and coffee and juice - more fool us huh?) was lukewarm and just....not worth it. Room was certainly stunning looking, mini bar prices even made my eyes stretch and I'm a very seasoned luxury hotel dweller, and bar drinks were crazy. But, the money isn't really the issue. It's the fact that only the guys on the Gotham Bar could be bothered to smile and greet us. Not terribly important but noticeable and not what I have come to expect from a high grade NYC hotel. Oh, and the rooftop terrace was closed for refurbing and it all just felt....sterile. Won't be coming back, I'll stay in Chelsea next time. Such a shame.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Hotluca

Dear Hotluca,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent experience with us. We sincerely apologize for your disappointment in the level of service you received. This is certainly not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide for all of our guests and I would personally welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit further with you. Please contact me directly at jcrook@peninsula.com.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Peninsula New York.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have to say, I was very excited to stay at this hotel. I do not mind spending money on hotels because I like the comfort, service and accommodations they offer. However, if you are going to charge $900/night, then I certainly have expectations to match. In this case, the hotel failed.

Booked a room online and requested double beds. Received a call from the hotel saying they did not have double beds available and if I wanted a rollaway I would need to upgrade my room. Thus, spent over $500 for the upgrade and $80/ night for the rollaway. When I arrived, I inquired about the cot and was told it would be delivered at turndown service. Cot never appeared.

When I contacted the reception desk and told them I wanted to make sure I did not get charged for the cot as it did not arrive. They assured me I was not being charged. Upon checkout, I was shocked to learn the rollaway charges were on the invoice. The man at the desk said he would make the corrections as I went up to my room to get my bag. When I came back down, he handed me a new invoice and I left. When I was on the plane home, I took out my invoice and saw they only credited me for 1 night of the rollaway but charged for 2 nights despite never having received the rollaway AND checking with them during my stay.

The hotel restaurant and rooftop bar were closed leaving the small Gotham Lounge as the only place to eat or drink at the hotel. Picking this hotel for the beautiful bar and arranging business meetings there left me frustrated at the lack of communication by the hotel to their guests. It would have been nice to receive an email or something from the hotel indicating the closures.

The hotel was clean, bathroom was spacious, room service arrived promptly and the staff was very friendly...except bell man who was busy texting instead of hailing me a cab.

When I returned home, I called and spoke to management about my dissatisfaction for charging me more for a room to accommodate a rollaway and then never receiving it compounded by the fact that they charged me for the rollaway anyway. The manager offered to credit my bill for the rollaway and upgraded room which I thought was the right thing to do. They also offered to upgrade me next time I stay at The Peninsula NY, which is definitely not going to happen.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank CP2006
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at the Peninsula with a friend and as it was our first time to New York we wanted a good hotel in a convenient location in which to explore the city. This hotel certainly did not disappoint. The location was excellent, near to all the shops and within walking distance to the Empire State building, Times Square, etc. The room was extremely comfortable with an extra large bathroom. The hotel's roof top bar is certainly worth a visit with great cocktails and a fantastic view over the city. When I return to New York I will certainly stay at the Peninsula.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rubles

Dear Rubles,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula New York as your hotel for your first visit to Manhattan! It sounds like you took advantage of our great location in Midtown. We hope you are able to visit again soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Selected the hotel for both business and pleasure as we were staying the two weekends on both sides of a full work week - concequently having to pay for some nights and focused on value. The hotel is very well located for most upper end 5th avenue shopping and close enough to Central Park for a run. The service was always a good standard but nothing special or particularly personalised. Overall decoration is aimed at looking traditional, with much of the art catering to more modern tastes. Room size was OK for new york, view was non-existant. Everything was clean. Beds were extremely soft and 'cloud-like' with warm covers and easy to use tempreture controls. Once the two phone lights are covered, the room could be made to be completely pitch black which was nice. No noise from the street but corridor movement could be heard. A couple of negatives were: 1) the fact that a late check-out was maximum 2pm (and they acted as if it was a huge effort) 2) we ordered a film but you are unable to pause it 3) the doormen were being paid kick-backs to allocate taxi drivers long fares or trips to the airport 4) roomservice cost was high (several additional charges) with portion sizes small even for European standards

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RinRanKD

Dear RinRanKD,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that you noticed the wonderful artwork on display in our lobby but would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your other comments further. I invite you to contact me directly at jcrook@peninsula.com.