The Peninsula New York
$347
$335
  • Restaurant
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$174
  • Fitness center
$202
$197
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York at Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$386
$239
  • Pool
$458
$359
Marriott Hotels
$239
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$234
$195
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
$286
$229
Orbitz.com
$133
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$145
$142
Park Central
  • Fitness center
1,180 results
All reviewsrooftop barsalon de ninggrand luxe roomfifth avenueoscar de la rentacentral parknew yorkfour seasonsindoor poolroom serviceluxury hotelseparate showerst regissuperior roomconcierge deskturn down servicean upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 2, 2012

From arrival until departure we were made to feel very special. The entire staff were so very helpful and pleasant. Special thanks to concierge for their help in making external bookings, directions and suggestions. The quality of hotel far exceeded our expectations. Definately be back and hopefully get a ride in the mini cooper.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a 4 night stay planned for NYC and chose The Peninsula although we were not satisfied last time we stayed there (years ago). As a group, Peninsula is one of the best. Their hotels in LA and Hong Kong are favorites. Sadly, we were less than satisfied this time as well. It could be that you are greeted by employees smoking on the side-walk next to the entrance, or that the lobby bar (which is closed till 11 AM) is far from being good as a lobby bar of a hotel with the ambitions of Peninsula should be (unlike LA) or the fact that the breakfast room is not very personal and a bit chaotic. We had four breakfasts and four out of four days we did not get the poached eggs made to our order. We were charged USD 9 for half a tomato with the eggs. Needless to say - not good enough. The location is good for shopping, but if you want an upscale 5 star hotel, you have better options. I do hope that Peninsula will improve their NY hotel - it good be so much better!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

stayed in October, 20-23...has a perfect executive suite with an unforgettable view and amenities included,,,,,very friendly personnel at the reception...
perfect location for business and shopping. free internet at very good speed. will definately come back

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul_Koreshkov
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am a regular guest at the Ritz hotels and was not at all impressed by the Peninsula. It was a beautiful hotel, the room was spacious and well appointed but the rest left much to be desired. The doormen never opened the doors for me or my sister, the front desk staff and when asked for an emergency item suggested I go to the drug store a block away. At a 5 star rated hotel I would have expected a little more attention.
We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and I had to send my eggs back twice. The third time I didn't bother yet the waiter and matre'd both asked if it was still not correct but still charged me for the breakfast.
I will stay at the Ritz next time!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TraveLoggin
Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you are expecting a hotel on par with the Pens in Beverly Hills, Shanghai, Tokyo, Chicago, Bangkok and – especially – Hong Kong, you will be disappointed with the physical largesse of the NY property. The common areas are limited/small with no grand lobby. However, this also means no large groups or meetings, and more personalized service. This hotel could almost be characterized as “boutique” in nature. Though it depends on the city and the property, I have a marginal preference for Peninsula hotels vis-à-vis Four Seasons: Peninsula owns all of their hotels (with the exception of Beverly Hills, in which it owns only 20%), whilst Four Seasons is “just” a property manager. Also there are over 100 Four Seasons hotels and only about a dozen Pens. If I am not staying at a private club, my desired choice is the Pen NY. Now for the details.

Location:
Since I like to be between the theatre district and Central Park, the location at 55th and 5th is perfect. I am not a shopper but numerous haute couture shops are adjacent the property and I like to look at the Patek salon at Tiffany’s. Whilst 55th is a relatively quiet street, 5th Avenue is 20 feet away and is busy. There is a subway station at 53rd and 5th (E and M lines) and I will use the E line getting to JFK (you must transfer at Jamaica Station to the AirTrain) during traffic periods and when I have little luggage. That said, I doubt if many other – or any – Pen NY guests will take the subway to JFK. The most direct nearby luxury competition to the Pen is the St. Regis directly across 5th Avenue. It has a famous bar and an Alain Ducasse restaurant but the hotel feels too ostentatious for my tastes. The Lanesborough hotel in London – a St. Regis property – is much better. A further caveat to the hotel is that it does not have any panoramic views. If a view is your main criterion, look to the Plaza, Pierre, Essex House or (my recommendation) the Mandarin. That said, there is a nice view from the rooftop bar.

Dining:
There is only one restaurant in the hotel and it is called “Fives” (after the hotel’s location at 55th and 5th). In contrast to the Four Seasons (L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon) and the St. Regis (Alain Ducasse), the restaurant is managed by the hotel – not a celebrity chef. There is a new Spanish restaurant manager at Fives from the Carlyle so changes may be afoot, but nothing as of October 2012. The dining room is typically busiest at breakfast; lunch and dinner tend not to be busy. Much of the breakfast/lunch staff have remained unchanged since I started visiting the hotel ten years ago, and they are great (especially Nicholas). They remember my drink and food order, though I might eat breakfast at the hotel only six times a year. The kitchen is small and it must cook for the restaurant as well as room service. So if everybody arrives at once, you might have to wait during breakfast. Also, note that the service charge is automatically added to the bill for breakfast – but not lunch or dinner. There are two bars in the hotel – one is at the lobby level and the other is on the roof.

Concierge:
The service from the concierge is outstanding – even by Pen standards. I believe the entire concierge staff are members of Les Clefs d’Or. While I have been assisted by Tas, Faisal and others – all superb – my favorite is Victoria. In addition to a command of a number of languages, she has an arts background. So she was able to answer questions on specific pieces of art and artists. Last week when telling me what was playing at the Metropolitan Opera, she was able to provide a review of the production as well as a critical assessment of the opera in general. Her restaurant suggestions have been excellent also. I might suggest e-mailing the concierge desk prior to arrival to obtain suggestions regarding restaurants (as well as reservations), exhibitions and theatre recommendations. When I was once disappointed with the quality and timeliness of the concierge suggestions from a European luxury hotel, I provided a Pen NY’s e-mail to this hotel as a possible template for the future.

Rooms:
Large by New York standards – and very comfortable. Large bathrooms and nice amenities. Quiet. Avoid rooms whose windows face internally – it could be disheartening opening your curtains (and would say this could be the only serious drawback of the hotel).

Spa:
If you stay at the Pen NY, it would be a waste not to avail yourself to the gym/spa/pool. It is located on a couple of floors with an excellent view of 5th Avenue from the pool. I noticed people eating lunch around the pool, in addition to swimming and lounging. The gym is large and various fitness classes are offered during the day. I never have had any spa treatments. Unquestionably, this area of the hotel is special.

And finally, here is my Judy Dench moment from years past. Unbeknownst to me, I dropped a glove in the hotel lobby. I hear a woman with an English accent say: “Sir, I believe this belongs to you.” It was Judy Dench and she had picked up my glove. If this were a MasterCard commercial, the tagline would have been “Priceless.” I have also seen a number of celebrities and international politicians at the Pen NY. Being from west LA, these sightings have no meaning for me; however, it does reflect the caliber of clientele choosing to stay at the NY Pen.

Room Tip: Avoid an interior-facing room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo